Is software update necessary?

Reaction score
I have about a dozen flights on my PV and luckily have had none of the issues mentioned in these forums. Is a software update absolutely necessary? I'm very comfortable with how it performs now and am concerned that if I mess with it I will have problems. It seems though, that most people jump right on the updates when they are released. The only update I would like to get, if it ever is released, is an autonomous flight (waypoint) update. Is that in the works?

Ital86 said:
I have about a dozen flights on my PV and luckily have had none of the issues mentioned in these forums. Is a software update absolutely necessary? I'm very comfortable with how it performs now and am concerned that if I mess with it I will have problems. It seems though, that most people jump right on the updates when they are released. The only update I would like to get, if it ever is released, is an autonomous flight (waypoint) update. Is that in the works?

There have been SO many documented failures while running under the original P2V firmware that I updated mine as soon as I could, even though I'm very hesitant to upgrade firmware. I'm a pro computer geek who's been responsible for data centers for many years and I was bitten enough times early on by vendors who insist they won't deal with you unless you're on the latest firmware, that I take a hard stance against that. I've had many interesting discussions with HP and Dell support staff over the years. Many times firmware updates fix two problems and present ten new ones. You need to be vigilant regarding updates for your Phantom as well. Hang back a bit and try not to be the "earliest adopter." :roll:

The problems we've been seeing with the original firmware seem to be sporadic which is dangerous. It lulls you into a false sense of security and when the problem(s) occurs the poor pilot is unsuspecting, thus slow to react. Coupled with DJI's distance regarding these problems, you need to be very, very cautious.

My advice? Do all of the updates before you fly again. Don't speed through your pre-flight checklist and always let the bird hover a few feet off the ground for a minute or two and run the sticks up, down, sideways, etc... until you're confidant she's flying as expected before you get her up to serious heights...

-slinger

Ital86 said:

Most updates fix faults or add new features so as a rule it is better to have the latest software update. That said, it is wise to wait until others have used the update to verify it isn't adding new problems which sometimes could be worst than the original faults, so far feedback has been positive about the Vision updates.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20