Is Phantom 4 still worth it?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new here, and technically don’t own a phantom 4 yet, hence my question. A friend is selling one he has had for several years and I am considering buying it, but wonder if it’s the best decision. It shows some signs of use on controller and has a dent in the plastic on one of the arms from him hitting a tree. I have flown it multiple times since and everything functions normally. It would include an extra battery. Because of the place in the plastic he would sell it for $500. I uploaded a pic so you could see the “dent”. Also being an older drone anyway is it worth it? Thoughts?

Attachments

• BA29B332-07C2-4394-B5F6-1C507487E264.jpeg
    BA29B332-07C2-4394-B5F6-1C507487E264.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 385
I have been flying the Phantom 4 for over a year and find it to be a great aircraft. The still images are excellent and the video quality is as well.
I have found the Phantom 4 to be a rock solid aircraft that flies very well and is stable and dependable.
The Phantom 4 Pro does have an upgraded camera;however, it does not fly any better than the Phantom 4 and both aircraft have similar Intelligent Flight Modes.
The added collision Avoidance sensors on the P4Pro are not a big upgrade.....The P4 has sensors on the front and bottom of the aircraft and that is where you want them.
I took a look at the photo you included.
That's a pretty significant 'dent'. :(
Judging from what I see, it would negatively affect that aircraft's flight characteristics and overall performance.

If it were me, I would consider other options.

Reactions: MTO
Dent? That looks like a serious crack to the arm. $500 is a great price but not with the chance that it may suddenly snap off and fall out of the sky. Pass.

I’d buy it for $200 for a first drone to learn with and by the time it breaks, and I think it will, you’ll want to upgrade to a Mavic or P4P anyway.

But for 500 nope..

Because of the place in the plastic he would sell it for $500. I uploaded a pic so you could see the “dent”. Also being an older drone anyway is it worth it?

While the P4 is a proven performer, for $500, I would look elsewhere. Better quality used P4's are selling for $600 - 650. I recently bought an immaculate P4 with extra battery for $600. If that machine has that kind of external damage, you don't know what could be wrong inside. Think it over carefully and don't be too quick to jump on what appears to be a bargain or you'll be back here shortly asking for help making that flightworthy, not that this forum has a problem fielding those types of inquiries. Good luck to you.

Guys your comments are helpful. Here is a side view. Would it be worth buying and replacing the shell? And if so at what price point.

Attachments

• 42C65195-3BDB-4C0D-97A9-985AB9ABD33F.jpeg
    42C65195-3BDB-4C0D-97A9-985AB9ABD33F.jpeg
    308.2 KB · Views: 346
  • 8379D3CE-79CB-4866-932C-00E14A6AFD48.jpeg
    8379D3CE-79CB-4866-932C-00E14A6AFD48.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 330
Guys your comments are helpful. Here is a side view. Would it be worth buying and replacing the shell? And if so at what price point.
Thought about it a little more and to be honest the best decision you can make to be honest is get a brand new Mavic Air for $799. Smaller, better camera (it’s true) and you’ll have a blast I believe.

Edit: Lol I really am honest aren’t I?

Reactions: Amustian
I would really recommend doing a shell replacement if you purchase this one, you can find it on AMAZON HERE but once you spend that kind of money you could get an undamaged used or reconditioned bird.

The Mavic Air is a pretty good suggestion. Also, like the post above states, you can get a new shell for about $66. If all the rest of the drone is in good working condition, I'd consider $566 to be an ok deal on a P4.

Reactions: MTO
The way I look at it, it's not so much what you CAN see that concerns me as much as what you CAN'T see. This could be a money pit, but you won't know that until you buy it. There are good used P4's for sale at a reasonable price. As @ryantrax pointed out, by the time you're done replacing the shell, you could have paid for a better used P4, and that's assuming nothing else is damaged. If you're a gambling man, I'll bet you'll take your chances with this crashed bird. Good luck whichever path you choose.

Reactions: MTO and Wilbur
Guys, as I think about it I agree, y’all have been helpful. I’ll stay away from this one.

The way I look at it, it's not so much what you CAN see that concerns me as much as what you CAN'T see. This could be a money pit, but you won't know that until you buy it. There are good used P4's for sale at a reasonable price. As @ryantrax pointed out, by the time you're done replacing the shell, you could have paid for a better used P4, and that's assuming nothing else is damaged. If you're a gambling man, I'll bet you'll take your chances with this crashed bird. Good luck whichever path you choose.
He said he flew it multiple times and is known to work good.

It looks like you've already decided, but I'll throw in my 2 cents worth of advice anyway. The pics tell a bigger story than just the broken arm. This was not a well cared for aircraft. There is dirt all over it etc. This was a toy for someone that did not take the hobby seriously and obviously does not care about personal investments.

Find a well cared for AC. Plenty of them out there.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj