Is Phantom 3 advanced still a good choice?

Reaction score
Hello everybody.
I am a happy owner of an old but faithful Phantom 2 with gimbal for my gopro hero 4 black.
Now I would like to switch to a superior product without spending a lot of money.
I turned to a Phantom 3 advanced used but in excellent condition, at a really cheap price (270 euros).
Do you think it's still a good buy? Or should I spend 180 euros more for a phantom 3 pro?
Thanks

Thanks. The one that worries me most (and that is the least talked about ...), is the different video bitrate: from 40Mbps to 60Mbps.
How much can this difference affect video quality?
For the rest the basic question is: with all the used drones around, is the choice of a Phantom 3 advanced still a good choice?

Thanks. The one that worries me most (and that is the least talked about ...), is the different video bitrate: from 40Mbps to 60Mbps.
How much can this difference affect video quality?
For the rest the basic question is: with all the used drones around, is the choice of a Phantom 3 advanced still a good choice?
You'll realy like the big improvement of Lightbridge over the wifi that you are using.
It's about 10 times better.
The camera on the P4 pro is another big step up photographically but the drone itself is only a little more advanced than the P3 Advanced.
I'd say it's still a good drone.

Reactions: KachemakDiver
The Good DJI's Phantom 3 Advanced delivers excellent full-HD video. ... The Bottom Line The DJI Phantom 3 Advanced might still be pricey, but the combination of excellent camera and flight performance and a well-designed app and controller make this simple-to-fly drone an easy recommendation.

One of the biggest questions
What is the difference between the DJI Phantom 3 Professional and DJI Phantom 3 Advanced?

The difference simply is two things; first the camera. The DJI Phantom 3 Professional boasts a camera capable of shooting 4K footage at upto 30 fps, whilst the Advanced version is lower at 1080p.
More specifically though the Phantom 3 Professional can shoot “Cinema“ 4K, which is 4096x2160p, at 24 and 25 fps or “Consumer” 4k, which is 3840×2160, and goes from 24 and 25 fps up to 30 fps.
UK 4K TV standards are 25 fps whilst US 4K TV standards are 30 fps.

Both the Phantom 3 pro & phantom 3 advanced has the quality of being suited to serve a purpose well.

P3A has same as the Std .....

2.7K at 30fps max ...... NOT 1080

The P3A is a VERY GOOD machine .... still a good unit to have ...

Reactions: BillyN
P4’s are becoming very affordable in the US. If you were considering the 3P, may as well go up to the P4.

The one thing you haven't said is "what do you want it for"? I've inherited my son's P3A and it's brilliant (as long as you keep it out of treeso_O)
The videos I've shot are perfectly good enough even for the most discerning, in my opinion. Point of Interest video....
One of my videos...

Reactions: BillyN and Capt KO
One question, will you actually able to view 4k video on any of your viewing devices?.
Of course you can reduce the camera's resolutions but unless you have or are thinking of getting 4K compatible devices then I see no reason to go for the Pro

There are a few factors to consider .... P3 vs P4 .....

P4 has avoidance gear fitted ... P3 does not.
P4 has better camera ...
P4 (not sure all have) quick release props

But I ask - are the above necessary ? As another says - it depends what use you want to put the Phantom to. For most - the video from the P3 is more than good enough and is not hard work for a common PC to edit.
P3 batterys are relatively easy to source (I'm not getting int OEM vs copy argument --- but there are plenty out there).
P3 batterys do not have the spring clip in them like the P4. That P4 clip appears to fail ... whereas the P3 battery slides in and locks reliably.

I am biased as I am a P3S owner who then upgraded to P3P .... I see no reason for myself to swap for a P4 .... I have no need of the added bits ... I'm a hobby flyer.

Reactions: Capt KO
One question, will you actually able to view 4k video on any of your viewing devices?.
Of course you can reduce the camera's resolutions but unless you have or are thinking of getting 4K compatible devices then I see no reason to go for the Pro

The fact is though - with the 4K setup ... you can record at a lower resolution - but higher frame rate ....

The eye detects flicker at times with 30fps because its close to the natural rate of our eyes. You can see this flicker sometimes when video swings to side ...

That was useful, thanks. Though it prompts a question, if relevant,, does the 'best' frame rate for viewing on the likes of a TV not depend on the frequency of the screen refresh rate?

Hello from uk I’ve had a p1 then upgraded to p3A about 4 yrs ago and is flying great well pleased with it camera good for what I need so ye p3A good choice in my eyes ??

Reactions: BillyN and Phill2
As another UK droner I have to agree, as a hobby flier I can't see why I would need more than my P3A gives me.

Last edited:
That was useful, thanks. Though it prompts a question, if relevant,, does the 'best' frame rate for viewing on the likes of a TV not depend on the frequency of the screen refresh rate?

Of course there is always a 'prime' setting ... trouble is, too many sets out there with different settings to standardise a recc'd ....

Plus despite Youtube being able to handle 4K UHD video - the upload size and time involved often says to use the more normal 1080 HD or whatever ... Plus - I for one will not wait to load a 4K UHD video from Youtube to view ... (yes - I know its only me !! )

Thank you all for your useful information.
I will only use the drone to make videos, as the resolution of the photos is really below average.
In Italy the Phantom 3 adv prices are really low, unlike Ph3pro which are still high (especially if compared to those of Ph4), due to the fact that it can capture 4k videos.
This feature in reality, as many of you have pointed out to me, is not so fundamental, also because it brings with it many file management problems ..
In the end I think I will opt for the Ph3adv, although I will continue to dream of a Ph4pro + ...

Reactions: D0CT0R and Capt KO
I don't think you'll regret the decision but I must say the photos I get from my P3A are pretty good. I have blown them up to A3 with no visible deterioration.

I have to reply to this since I flew my p3a a few times this past weekend, after some time when I was not using it. I fly FPV drones for fun, but this time it I had to use a photography-oriented drone. I returned thinking... it is such a good drone!
(I know I am not helping much)

Last edited:
I'm a P2V+ and a P3P owner. The P3 is a far superior aircraft. Of all the different P3 models the P3A is probably the most reliable. It doesnt suffer from the top gimbal board overheat issue that the P3P does. While the P3P has a superior camera, unless you are exclusively shooting (and able to view) 4K video, it has no advantage over the P3A. Just my humble opinion :)

I just took my P3A out to the Colorado mountain area and took some great videos. I've played a few back on my 4K TV. My only wish is that the camera would have captured in 4K. That would have looked awesome. Full HD is great. But to have 4K footage on a 4K TV would have been cool. So if the difference is around $200, I would do the P3 Pro. Right now, I'm debating about buying a P3 Pro camera//gimbal and installing it on my P3A.

I just took my P3A out to the Colorado mountain area and took some great videos. I've played a few back on my 4K TV. My only wish is that the camera would have captured in 4K. That would have looked awesome. Full HD is great. But to have 4K footage on a 4K TV would have been cool. So if the difference is around $200, I would do the P3 Pro. Right now, I'm debating about buying a P3 Pro camera//gimbal and installing it on my P3A.

I honestly wonder if a video shot in 2.7k (of P3Adv) would have visible difference to one in 4k (of P3Pro). I am thinking, video is compressed, other factors greatly affect image quality, really great videos require video post processing etc. This triggered me and I also looked at this video here where this guy compares Mavic modes, but I am NOT into cinematografy (nor own a 4k tv) so if you do this camera replacement, would be interested to read your results.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers