Is my sailboat video plan viable?

Or you could try the opposite.
Do you have any friends you trust to do the sailing for you, which would allow you to do the flying?
The wideangle lens of the Phantom would mean that you'd have to get to close for comfort to really see much detail of who is on the boat.

Eliminating the issues of flying and catching from the boat, introduces new problems if you wanted to launch from land while sailing.
How close to shore would you be sailing?
Would you have an assistant to place the Phantom and turn it on when the time is right?
If you are relying on RTH to get it back and land, make sure the launch spot is clear for 20 ft around.

Here's a sailboat I shot last week just to stimulate your thoughts.
DJI_0509c-XL.jpg
Thank you, and I'm realizing that doing both WELL is too much for one person. That is a beautiful boat in your photo, and it's trimmed nicely.

Whether flying a manned aircraft or a drone, the FAA ruling is that you should have your complete attention focused on your piloting task. What you had wanted to do would be completely illegal. I agree with the idea of getting someone else to fly the drone. I have covered sailing where I was on land and could focus on the drone while the sailor did the sailing.

Reactions: davedoc
Yeah, that's pretty much where I ended up on the issue. And if it were even POSSIBLE, what I would end up with is footage of a person struggling AND FAILING to both sail a boat single-handed, and fly a very complex drone aircraft. Could potentially be used as part of a Darwin Award nomination package though.

I really appreciate this forum helping me think this through (and come to my senses ;-).

It's pretty hairy doing this while operating (in my case) a motorboat. Out ran the drone a few times and when bringing her back to the boat for landing I had to deal with the wind and current. Grabbed the drone with very little battery left and turned her on her side to kill the motors. Will get another person to help next time!
DJI_0008.jpg

It's pretty hairy doing this while operating (in my case) a motorboat. Out ran the drone a few times and when bringing her back to the boat for landing I had to deal with the wind and current. Grabbed the drone with very little battery left and turned her on her side to kill the motors. Will get another person to help next time!View attachment 106618

From this picture , it looks like you did a good job. Were you able to get close enough to identify you in the video as i always stress how important that it to do for just a few seconds.

Thanks, got a few good ones. I was only shooting stills as this was a test for a boat broker. I also slowed suddenly and let the drone overtake me and so doing shoot from the front.
51B21ADD-154A-4708-880E-11175B15BAD6.jpeg

I was a small boat sailor (40ft cutter ketch) and wanted just photos of me sailing it it took me almost 8 years to get as every time I tried setting it up either the weather got up and both myself and the other person who was trying to get the photo was busy just trying to sail their boat until it all came together where we were around 25 foot apart and I was just passing him we both had the boats set up on auto pilot and took photos of each other it is very hard trying to get decent photos of boats under sail unless you have a huge telephoto lens and them if you move at all it is just a blur

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20