is it true that DJI fit water detection inside the airframe ?

Reaction score
There is a statement on another forum that DJI fit sensors / pads to the frames internals to detect if water has got inside.
The claim is that this then allows DJI to refuse claims for damage / repairs if sensors indicate water intrusion.

Anyone have any real info on this ? Anyone been inside one if these models and report what is really there ?

I find it strange for a company that produces a model for outside use in all locations incl. use over water ... all seasons ... high humidity locations etc. would resort to such.

I can believe that maybe silica gel sachet is lodged in there as an absorber, but that would never hold in court as a valid disclaimer.

There is a statement on another forum that DJI fit sensors / pads to the frames internals to detect if water has got inside.
The claim is that this then allows DJI to refuse claims for damage / repairs if sensors indicate water intrusion.

Anyone have any real info on this ? Anyone been inside one if these models and report what is really there ?

I find it strange for a company that produces a model for outside use in all locations incl. use over water ... all seasons ... high humidity locations etc. would resort to such.

I can believe that maybe silica gel sachet is lodged in there as an absorber, but that would never hold in court as a valid disclaimer.

When it gets wet I believe a red dye is released. Probably not activated by hi humidity??

So let's say you are flying happily and then it falls out of sky through no fault of your own. It lands in a puddle or wet area.

According to this then - DJI can refuse your claim.

Marvelous.

Seems a bit draconian at the very least ..... never heard of any other RC company playing such game !

Is this really true?

Nigel

Lots of companies use little stickers that change color when they get wet. Most cell phones have these. I would not be surprised if they have them in the Phantom.

From things I've read, a red dye gets released, similar to apple devices to indicate water damage.

I have no intention to douse my model in water - just interested to know the real truth .... something that I am finding DJI are reluctant to give out.
They seem to avoid any questions that may give away information.

Nigel

Tks for the link - tells it all.

Nigel

Most portable electronic devices have water detection sensors in various places inside, and usually more than one. It wouldn't be grounds for dismissing a warranty claim by itself, but I'm sure it's one of the things they do in evaluating a warranty claim. Sounds reasonable to me. If you drop your iPhone in the toilet, you wouldn't expect Apple to pay for your carelessness would you?

Dropping a phone / even a tablet in toilet or anywhere in fact is usually covered by household contents insurance anyway ----so not an issue.

Nigel

Dropping a phone / even a tablet in toilet or anywhere in fact is usually covered by household contents insurance anyway ----so not an issue.

Nigel
Doubt it, most likely excluded unless you have a personal property rider. And even if it was covered, there would be the deductible, so...significant issue.

Last edited:
Dont know about USA, but in UK unless excluded in writing - it is covered ....

My son had 4 iphones over a year replaced due to their ridiculous lack of glass protection when he dropped them.

Even when my son at young age decided to suck up the dogs water bowl with the vacuum cleaner - which went bang of course - insurance paid out.

In UK I had over £20000 of model gear and household contents asked me to cover separately as it exceeded their maximum.

Its worth checking your policies because you can be surprised what is covered. In UK unless excluded specifically - if a notebook PC of yours is stolen from your car - its covered by household contents. Why ? Because many household contents are accepted as portable

Doesn't work that way in the US. And again, there is the deductible. Typically $500. Even if you have an insurance rider on a given item of personal property and it's covered, the first $500 is on you.

Its all down to how you agree with underwriters the policy.

All my UK policies had a 100% payment out unless claim exceeded a set amount, plus I had a maximum to an overall total amount per year.

When my yacht was broken into and looted. Yacht insurance paid for repairs only. Household replaced all the fishing gear, other items without exception.

Another example - one of my employees spilt coffee over my notebook computer keyboard shorting it out. Insurance company asked for it to be given to reputable local repair shop for evaluation. Letter was duly written by them to insurance who paid out to replace 100%.

All depends on policy you agree.

Nigel

So let's say you are flying happily and then it falls out of sky through no fault of your own. It lands in a puddle or wet area.

According to this then - DJI can refuse your claim.

Marvelous.

Seems a bit draconian at the very least ..... never heard of any other RC company playing such game !

Is this really true?

Nigel
Dji won't really use the water mark to get out of it as they would be looking at the data file first. If there was a motor error it would be listed then dji would expect it to fall and if lands in a puddle...well that is reasonable. It's all down to the data log rather then the stickers turning a different colour

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: lgchapman
Thank you Neon euc .... yes I forgot about the log files.

Cheers
Nigel

Reactions: Neon Euc
Its all down to how you agree with underwriters the policy.

All my UK policies had a 100% payment out unless claim exceeded a set amount, plus I had a maximum to an overall total amount per year.

When my yacht was broken into and looted. Yacht insurance paid for repairs only. Household replaced all the fishing gear, other items without exception.

Another example - one of my employees spilt coffee over my notebook computer keyboard shorting it out. Insurance company asked for it to be given to reputable local repair shop for evaluation. Letter was duly written by them to insurance who paid out to replace 100%.

All depends on policy you agree.

Nigel
Yes, but I mostly agree that insurance policies and practices in the UK have nothing to do with insurance policies and practices in the US.

And forums are not exclusively for US persons ..... there is a world out there that actually exists .....
;)
Cheers....
Nigel

Reactions: lgchapman
And forums are not exclusively for US persons ..... there is a world out there that actually exists .....
;)
Cheers....
Nigel
Acknowledged. It's the reason that I put "Midwest USA" in my profile. If you did the same, explaining where you live and thereby acknowledging that this forum has an international readership, no one would have to guess what country these amazing insurance policies are happening in.

Last edited:
Actually only now have I noticed that my location is not there ----

Not that it changes anything - as I did state USA / UK early on and you yourself acknowledged that .....

Nigel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.