Is it time to be pro-active with the authorities?

Reaction score
In most countries, drone regulations are being considered/implemented/changed by the appropriate governing authorities. Whereas a certain level of regulation is necessary, sometimes it also appears to be over-zealous and unappreciated by drone pilots.

Apologies if this idea has already been suggested. I wonder how many of the relevant officials involved in drafting/approving legislation have personal experience of flying a drone? If they had some hands-on understanding, perhaps they would be more realistic and sympathetic to drone pilots?

This forum has capable individuals. Msinger and Meta4 stand out as just two obvious examples to me in the USA and Australia (I hope I'm correct here about the latter's location). Perhaps they and others should contact their country's relevant authority and offer to give a hands-on demonstration - either representing themselves, as a member of the drone business community, and/or as a forum representative? It would create vital human contact and increase understanding. We're talking about one day. My guess is that the various officials are often lacking personal drone experience, although this is only a guess.

Industries have political lobbyists because influence is influence.

The very act of arranging and conducting a hands-on demonstration would build important bridges towards greater realism and better understanding. Ignorance is a common reason for ineffectiveness or an obstacle for progress, much more than realised. Education works.

I can't speak for other countries but here in the US we have several groups who work with the FAA and other GVT agencies doing this type of work. Some of us here on this forum are already active in several groups trying to help lead future legislation in the right direction.

If it's not already happening in other countries then YES.. yes it should start yesterday.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Some of us have organized locally with the primary purpose to promote UAS safety among private users, but also to educate City Councilmen, fire, and police officials about the utility of UAS in emergency operations. We want them to see that not all of us are yahoos who deliberately fly at 1000' above wildfires and get in the way of fire fighting and rescue efforts, or carry Hellfire missiles, or peer in windows, or fly around airports. At the same time, not all emergency officials are aware of how others, such as LAFD, currently use UAS in emergency operations. We have scheduled demonstrations with the intention of stimulating interest in acquiring their own UAS and so they will look to us for advice and training.

I can't speak for other countries but here in the US we have several groups who work with the FAA and other GVT agencies doing this type of work. Some of us here on this forum are already active in several groups trying to help lead future legislation in the right direction.

If it's not already happening in other countries then YES.. yes it should start yesterday.

I for one would like to see our own drone based CBO, similar to the AMA. If directed correctly it could serve as the ‘go to’ organization for drone manufacturers, consumers, and governmental bodies such as the FAA and Law Enforcement. I wouldn’t mind joining such an organization IF guidelines and rules of operation were clear and within the general purpose of such an organization.

Maybe @BigA107 would be up to the task of starting a Drone Pilot CBO? We could get much more positive progress accomplished if we spoke as a group with ‘One Voice’, rather than just individuals.

I’m ready to join......where do I sign....? What ya’ think BigA?

In the US the FAA is in charge of airspace and we already have unclear regulations put in place by Congress. I'm not sure the last time you tried to call Congress in the US to give them a drone lesson but I'm pretty sure that ain't going to take place.

We then have every Tom, **** and Harry making laws that govern the ground they are in charge of and even the airspace above that ground. Trying to get together with the thousands of people to show them what a drone is....ain't going to happen. Besides that, most of those local people don't care one bit about someone from where ever talking to them about how to run their area. This is not how it works in the US.

If you have millions of dollars to give to someone or have an impact on that person's job.... only then will they care to hear what you have to say.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20