Is it still worthwhile to stay on .509 firmware?

Reaction score
I am considering jumping on the latest firmware. But if all I am going to get is more restrictions applied by DJI I will stay put.

Are there any benefits from upgrading? Bird is working great at .509 but I was curious about some new panorama features and maybe other things I do not know of.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
I'm still at 509. It's up to you but I wouldn't upgrade unless you absolutely have to. I consider myself lucky to be at 509 and won't budge. I have trouble free flights without the restrictions and nags that are unavoidable in current firmware. The choice is yours but it's usually better to stick with a firmware that's giving you no trouble, when it comes to dji,

I see no reason to update beyond .509 -- it's stable, well-vetted, and is the last firmware version that will allow you to retain total control of aircraft restrictions vs. ceding it to DJI. I don't see anything in later revisions worth giving this up. One fact that is universally left out of reviews of the P4P V2 and other newer models is from these models going forward an owner of a DJI product will never again have full control of flight restrictions. Many may not consider this an issue, but it is certainly something worth noting.

I see no reason to update beyond .509 -- it's stable, well-vetted, and is the last firmware version that will allow you to retain total control of aircraft restrictions vs. ceding it to DJI. I don't see anything in later revisions worth giving this up. One fact that is universally left out of reviews of the P4P V2 and other newer models is from these models going forward an owner of a DJI product will never again have full control of flight restrictions. Many may not consider this an issue, but it is certainly something worth noting.
Thanks. I will try NFZ unlock. Not to fly around airports though, would never do that.

Just FWIW I'm not necessarily advising that anyone unlock their unit, most won't really need to and if not then there's no harm in leaving the safeguards in place. The point is having the ability should you have a legitimate need, and even if there is no present need manufacturer-enforced airspace restrictions will only increase going forward. Newer hardware (V2 and other models that can no longer be rolled back to .509) will be subject to whatever limitations DJI comes up with in the future, like it or not, necessary or not.

Believe it or not but the first thing I hacked was to tweak the wind warning setting so I no longer see that completely obnoxious pop up. I was never so happy to relieve that situation. I also tweaked the NFZ only because I fly professionally and I do my own due diligence when it comes to airspace. I blissfully fly uninterrupted by those over reaching, and frankly unsafe pop up restrictions. If you're lucky enough to be on 509 and have the assistant hack and an iPad air 2 with a bit older rev of dji go 4 and you ignore updating the geo database, like me, you have a system that allows for safe, unencumbered and hassle free flight. So, 509? Stick!

I am considering jumping on the latest firmware. But if all I am going to get is more restrictions applied by DJI I will stay put.

Are there any benefits from upgrading? Bird is working great at .509 but I was curious about some new panorama features and maybe other things I do not know of.

We cannot say enough good things about 509 Firmware with the Parameter control. This give you the Solid Foundation to really start to fly and push the limits. Those extra Gimmicks may be cute but are Frankenstein based, lol

Dont think about what you gain as much as what you loose. That is the key to the love of the 509 for us and many other I would expect.

Reactions: Dronefriend
I'm still at 509. It's up to you but I wouldn't upgrade unless you absolutely have to. I consider myself lucky to be at 509 and won't budge. I have trouble free flights without the restrictions and nags that are unavoidable in current firmware. The choice is yours but it's usually better to stick with a firmware that's giving you no trouble, when it comes to dji,

So 509 has no restrictions? No geofence or anything? I thought all dji drones have some sort of no fly zones no matter what firmware

Just FWIW I'm not necessarily advising that anyone unlock their unit, most won't really need to and if not then there's no harm in leaving the safeguards in place. The point is having the ability should you have a legitimate need, and even if there is no present need manufacturer-enforced airspace restrictions will only increase going forward. Newer hardware (V2 and other models that can no longer be rolled back to .509) will be subject to whatever limitations DJI comes up with in the future, like it or not, necessary or not.

So what’s the deal with 509 firmware? You can fly anywhere with it? 509 doesn’t have NFZ’s?

So what’s the deal with 509 firmware? You can fly anywhere with it? 509 doesn’t have NFZ’s?

The 509 firmware has the usual no-fly zone and altitude restrictions, the difference is that it is the last firmware version that can be modified to remove them (instructions on YouTube and elsewhere.) Later firmware versions cannot. Mavics and Phantom 4 Pro and earlier models can be downgraded to 509 if desired, but starting with Phantom 4 Pro 2 and Mavic 2 hardware the ability is gone forever (unless someone hacks them but that seems unlikely.)

The 509 firmware has the usual no-fly zone and altitude restrictions, the difference is that it is the last firmware version that can be modified to remove them (instructions on YouTube and elsewhere.) Later firmware versions cannot. Mavics and Phantom 4 Pro and earlier models can be downgraded to 509 if desired, but starting with Phantom 4 Pro 2 and Mavic 2 hardware the ability is gone forever (unless someone hacks them but that seems unlikely.)

Isn’t “modifying” them basically hacking them...lol. I’m sure they will find a way if they found a way with the older ones. Does this work on phantom 3 firmwares too? I have one of those too.

I’m sure they will find a way if they found a way with the older ones.
No, probably not. The changes that are available to the 509 firmware weren't really a hack, rather DJI accidentally left a door wide open. They were no doubt rather embarrassed by that and I think you can bet they put a fair amount of effort into insuring it won't happen again. Nothing's impossible of course, but I sure wouldn't hold my breath.

No, probably not. The changes that are available to the 509 firmware weren't really a hack, rather DJI accidentally left a door wide open. They were no doubt rather embarrassed by that and I think you can bet they put a fair amount of effort into insuring it won't happen again. Nothing's impossible of course, but I sure wouldn't hold my breath.

Is there a similar way of doing it on a phantom 3 as well?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers