Is it possible to deactivate Kill switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once my P3A crashed and was lying upside down trying to eat the grass. I performed CSC, but nothing happened. I had to remove the battery to stop the rotors.

Maybe it is a idea good to change the CSC such that it becomes impossible to accidentally perform it.
Even though there seem to be not many CSC crashes, the idea only scares a lot of people. Look at all the posts regarding this.

I don't know if I'm missing something obvious or not - but couldn't the drone be programmed to monitor for certain abnormal conditions and react accordingly?

For example,
1. Being upside down or sideways - and stationary.
- kill (or slow down) motors
2. Teleportation - ie drone travelled an impossible distance in last 2-3 seconds (due to bad GPS data)
- Stop and hover? Reset GPS or verify GPS lock?
3. Drone is not moving. (Stuck in tree or crashed)

I guess maybe the problem with that would be - what if the sensor data is wrong and the drone is still in the air? The corrective action could maybe cause a crash instead of being helpful... I guess we'd probably need all systems to have redundancies before that could happen.

@autoflightlogic You're probably going to cringe when you read this because I'm sure it's the last thing a software developer wants to hear, but...

I've started reading the DJI documentation for their SDK...

I've noticed a couple of things which I found interesting (mostly from a trivia standpoint) and thought I'd share with the readers of this thread. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I might be misinterpreting sample data as an actual limit, but it looks to me like the SDK has a hard limitation that:

- the maximum waypoint mission can be 15km/9.3 miles in total distance

- follow mode will not engage to follow a target unless it is less than 20km/12.4 miles away from the current UAV position

There are distinctions in the SDK between a waypoint and a hotpoint. @autoflightlogic - I've never heard of a hotpoint before! What is a hotpoint?
I'm assuming it's the "target" of a goto command - maybe used by the tap and go feature? Or is it more of a generic thing that can be defined anywhere in the airspace and trigger an action when the UAV reaches it? Such as starting/stopping the video recording?

I think I've also noticed that some actions will return errors if other actions (such as follow or a waypojnt mission) is active. Not sure if those return values are fatal or just warnings - but if fatal, I can see how that would make it challenging to perform actions at specific waypoints. Pausing the waypoint mission and executing an orbit or something else might not work if the action refuses to perform because it sees that a waypoint mission (although paused) is still in progress. If that's the case (and I don't know if it is), then the waypoint mission would have to be canceled to perform the action and then restarted from the current permission after the action had completed. But! If a waypoint mission were created using a series of hotpoint instead of waypoints it might open up all kinds of possibilities.

Sorry. Just thinking out loud while I wait for the new version to appear on the App Store... :)

@autoflightlogic You're probably going to cringe when you read this because I'm sure it's the last thing a software developer wants to hear, but...

I've started reading the DJI documentation for their SDK...

I've noticed a couple of things which I found interesting (mostly from a trivia standpoint) and thought I'd share with the readers of this thread. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I might be misinterpreting sample data as an actual limit, but it looks to me like the SDK has a hard limitation that:

- the maximum waypoint mission can be 15km/9.3 miles in total distance

- follow mode will not engage to follow a target unless it is less than 20km/12.4 miles away from the current UAV position

There are distinctions in the SDK between a waypoint and a hotpoint. @autoflightlogic - I've never heard of a hotpoint before! What is a hotpoint?
I'm assuming it's the "target" of a goto command - maybe used by the tap and go feature? Or is it more of a generic thing that can be defined anywhere in the airspace and trigger an action when the UAV reaches it? Such as starting/stopping the video recording?

I think I've also noticed that some actions will return errors if other actions (such as follow or a waypojnt mission) is active. Not sure if those return values are fatal or just warnings - but if fatal, I can see how that would make it challenging to perform actions at specific waypoints. Pausing the waypoint mission and executing an orbit or something else might not work if the action refuses to perform because it sees that a waypoint mission (although paused) is still in progress. If that's the case (and I don't know if it is), then the waypoint mission would have to be canceled to perform the action and then restarted from the current permission after the action had completed. But! If a waypoint mission were created using a series of hotpoint instead of waypoints it might open up all kinds of possibilities.

Sorry. Just thinking out loud while I wait for the new version to appear on the App Store... :)

I believe a "hotpoint" is when our Drone comes across and flies over the woman of our dreams and fortunatelly has to abort the mission and register the most interesting footage ever automatically!

I don't know if I'm missing something obvious or not - but couldn't the drone be programmed to monitor for certain abnormal conditions and react accordingly?

For example,
1. Being upside down or sideways - and stationary.
2. Teleportation - ie drone travelled an impossible distance in last 2-3 seconds (due to bad GPS data)
- Stop and hover? Reset GPS or verify GPS lock?
3. Drone is not moving. (Stuck in tree or crashed)

I guess maybe the problem with that would be - what if the sensor data is wrong and the drone is still in the air? The corrective action could maybe cause a crash instead of being helpful... I guess we'd probably need all systems to have redundancies before that could happen.
You have guessed right. Also(especially for point 2.) It appears to be a very common misconception that stop and hover is the simplest thing a drone can do. I reality stop and hover requires all sensors and motors to be in a perfect working conditions without calibrations errors etc. When a drone travels an impossible distance due to GPS errors...the drone doesn't know it :)

It's not the kill switch - it's CSC and if you would allow someone to fly in a way that would make accidental CSC possible, they are flying like a crazy chimp and likely to crash your Phantom anyway.
in a way, it is as close to a "killswitch" as you can get with the phantom3

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

in a way, it is as close to a "killswitch" as you can get with the phantom3

Like all kill switches, designed in such a way that its convenient to operate in an emergenncy but difficult to do ny accident.

Like all kill switches, designed in such a way that its convenient to operate in an emergenncy but difficult to do ny accident.
to some it might be more difficult to others they could do it in the blink of an eye

I believe a "hotpoint" is when our Drone comes across and flies over the woman of our dreams and fortunatelly has to abort the mission and register the most interesting footage ever automatically!

Ha ha! Funny! But your reply also made me realize I posted this message to the wrong thread. It's no wonder I didn't get any comments until now.

Found this info on DJI site. By DJI-Tim

We found out many RMA cases we have worked on in DJI was caused by pilot’s error
Analyzing the flight data or so called black-boxes we listed top 10 as below:

DJI Forum|TOP 10 common pilot errors

Reactions: Tenly

We found out many RMA cases we have worked on in DJI was caused by pilot’s error

DJI Forum|TOP 10 common pilot errors

Great find! Thanks for posting it...

So - contrary to the belief of some members of this forum - accidental CSC is actually the number one pilot error as per DJI...!

This goes to show that some people don't know nearly as much as they think they do....and that we shouldn't always believe someone just because they've been here a long time or because they say things authoritatively.

So - contrary to the belief of some members of this forum - accidental CSC is actually the number one pilot error as per DJI...! .
It was mentioned in another thread that the Top Ten Pilot Errors are not listed in the order of frequency of occurrence and that accidental CSC is not the #1 pilot error.
Just saying.

It was mentioned in another thread that the Top Ten Pilot Errors are not listed in the order of frequency of occurrence and that accidental CSC is not the #1 pilot error.
Just saying.

Fair enough - but it still made the top 10 list which is enough to prove that it does happen - and not just in extremely isolated incidents....

So - contrary to the belief of some members of this forum - accidental CSC is actually the number one pilot error as per DJI...!

This goes to show that some people don't know nearly as much as they think they do....and that we shouldn't always believe someone just because they've been here a long time or because they say things authoritatively.
FYI .. anyone that reads enough forum posts will know that reports of accidental CSC are incredibly rare.
Although some inexperienced flyers imagine it's a real worry and can happen to anyone, it just isn't happening.
If there was an actual ranking of user errors that cause crashes, accidental CSC wouldn't even appear in the top ten.
Yes, I know you think you've found something that proves I'm wrong but you haven't.
The well known DJI top ten listing accidental CSC as top reason is complete bunk and has been debunked many times.
Since you won't believe me .. here's what DJI-Ken says in response to it:
DJI Forum|Change CSC Procedure

Reactions: Myetkt
+1 Meta.
It's fun to watch the 'topic merry-go-round'.

FYI .. anyone that reads enough forum posts will know that reports of accidental CSC are incredibly rare.
Although some inexperienced flyers imagine it's a real worry and can happen to anyone, it just isn't happening.
If there was an actual ranking of user errors that cause crashes, accidental CSC wouldn't even appear in the top ten.
Yes, I know you think you've found something that proves I'm wrong but you haven't.
The well known DJI top ten listing accidental CSC as top reason is complete bunk and has been debunked many times.
they aren't "incredibly" rare they do happen according to "ken" and experienced and non experienced flyers alike, it can and does happen to both type of flyer

gotta love the "hot headed" experience flyers that (think) they know everything, the experienced flyers that don't have this kind of attitude are the real teachers because they will admit they are still learning themselves and won't pride themselves around with their heads full of air

Reactions: Tenly

I followed the first link and read through 10+ pages of the discussion. But I'm not sure why you posted it. Everything I read is - as you said - a repeat of much of what you and I have said in this thread. The guy in that thread who is advocating changes - is spot on with his analysis. He suggests a delay before engaging which I don't think is the right answer - but the reason changes should occur is well articulated - and the responses from the "experienced" members are pretty much useless because they are all based-on "normal flight" patterns.

Some people panic when something goes wrong. I can easily see a newer pilot freaking out when he briefly loses connection with his phantom - or when he thinks he has lost connection. In that situation - is it impossible for you to imagine said pilot hammering on the controls? Pulling them violently from one extreme to another in a desperate (and completely futile) attempt to regain control?

Obviously that's not the right response to the situation. Obviously slamming controls back and forth will not possibly help. But if you can't picture a person doing the above - you're not as experienced as you claim to me. You or I might never do that - but some people might.

You're mission the point if you think our concerns are based on the possibility of an accidental CSC occurring during "normal flight". I, at least, am more concerned about it happening by someone who is panicking because they think something has gone wrong - or someone who is showing off to others how fast and awesome their phantom is.

The fact that the above users are in the wrong when they accidentally engage CSC does not make it land any more softly or hurt any less when it strikes a person as it falls.

Maybe the process can never be made perfect - but it can be improved - and I think it is DJI's responsibility to prevent as many crashes as possible - and there is a clear opportunity for them to do so here.

As I said earlier in the thread - I think the easiest way for them to improve it is to have the CSC stick maneuver execute a solid tone on the remote to give feedback that it has been initiated - and then a quick tap on the power button to confirm intent and engage. Any other action, aborts the CSC. It's just as fast - and it removes all question about a users intent. But - having submitted what I think is best - I'm not locked to it. There are dozens of different things DJI could do to make it better and I'd be fine with any one of them.

The consensus from the "experienced" members here seems to be borne out of arrogance and a feeling of superiority. They ignore the evidence that this does continue to happen - and their underlying tone suggests that the crashed drone is a fitting punishment for someone that was not flying properly.

If they were better people, more enlightened and socially responsible - they would be supportive of at least LOOKING at the process to see if it could be improved instead of dismissing it outright. Their only argument is that it doesn't happen frequently and it shouldn't happen at all if the user is flying properly. They seem to think that a certain number of crashes per year is acceptable as punishment.

My argument is that it we can prevent even 1 crash per year, we should do so. No system is so perfect that it should never be re-examined - and if it is as perfect as people suggest - it should be able to stand up to a little scrutiny.

Until DJI goes a full year without denying a claim for "accidental CSC" - the process which allows that accident to occur should be reviewed to see if it can be made better and safer. And the same is true for all other processes that impact safety.

In any case - I didn't follow the second link you sent - but I'll read it later. And all I saw at the first link was that other people share my desire for constant improvement.

What's most amusing about this topic is that both sides think they have clearly won the argument - but when all of the actual evidence we have access to is considered - it's obvious to me that the argument to "review and improve" is clearly the winner. DJI of course can and will do whatever they want to do - but that doesn't make it right.

Before I close - I do want to mention one post I found interesting over on that other thread. It was from a guy that experienced an accidental CSC while using the "Home Lock" feature - and it made me think about how Autopilot and some of the other 3rd party programs re-map the flight sticks during several of their modes. This could completely eliminate the argument that the stick combinations will NEVER occur during normal flight. Depending how the re-mapping is done - and what kind of shot the user is trying to capture - it may be increasingly likely that a minor error could trigger a CSC. This is probably the best argument yet for detaching the CSC process from the flight sticks and finding another button combination that can engage the emergency motor stop function.

Reactions: Romans109
gotta love the "hot headed" experience flyers that (think) they know everything, the experienced flyers that don't have this kind of attitude are the real teachers because they will admit they are still learning themselves and won't pride themselves around with their heads full of air
People with a month's experience and an over active imagination are obviously a much more reliable source of information.
There's no point listening to anyone that actually knows what they are talking about.

I followed the first link and read through 10+ pages of the discussion. But I'm not sure why you posted it. Everything I read is - as you said - a repeat of much of what you and I have said in this thread. The guy in that thread who is advocating changes - is spot on with his analysis. He suggests a delay before engaging which I don't think is the right answer - but the reason changes should occur is well articulated - and the responses from the "experienced" members are pretty much useless because they are all based-on "normal flight" patterns.

Some people panic when something goes wrong. I can easily see a newer pilot freaking out when he briefly loses connection with his phantom - or when he thinks he has lost connection. In that situation - is it impossible for you to imagine said pilot hammering on the controls? Pulling them violently from one extreme to another in a desperate (and completely futile) attempt to regain control?

Obviously that's not the right response to the situation. Obviously slamming controls back and forth will not possibly help. But if you can't picture a person doing the above - you're not as experienced as you claim to me. You or I might never do that - but some people might.

You're mission the point if you think our concerns are based on the possibility of an accidental CSC occurring during "normal flight". I, at least, am more concerned about it happening by someone who is panicking because they think something has gone wrong - or someone who is showing off to others how fast and awesome their phantom is.

The fact that the above users are in the wrong when they accidentally engage CSC does not make it land any more softly or hurt any less when it strikes a person as it falls.

Maybe the process can never be made perfect - but it can be improved - and I think it is DJI's responsibility to prevent as many crashes as possible - and there is a clear opportunity for them to do so here.

As I said earlier in the thread - I think the easiest way for them to improve it is to have the CSC stick maneuver execute a solid tone on the remote to give feedback that it has been initiated - and then a quick tap on the power button to confirm intent and engage. Any other action, aborts the CSC. It's just as fast - and it removes all question about a users intent. But - having submitted what I think is best - I'm not locked to it. There are dozens of different things DJI could do to make it better and I'd be fine with any one of them.

The consensus from the "experienced" members here seems to be borne out of arrogance and a feeling of superiority. They ignore the evidence that this does continue to happen - and their underlying tone suggests that the crashed drone is a fitting punishment for someone that was not flying properly.

If they were better people, more enlightened and socially responsible - they would be supportive of at least LOOKING at the process to see if it could be improved instead of dismissing it outright. Their only argument is that it doesn't happen frequently and it shouldn't happen at all if the user is flying properly. They seem to think that a certain number of crashes per year is acceptable as punishment.

My argument is that it we can prevent even 1 crash per year, we should do so. No system is so perfect that it should never be re-examined - and if it is as perfect as people suggest - it should be able to stand up to a little scrutiny.

Until DJI goes a full year without denying a claim for "accidental CSC" - the process which allows that accident to occur should be reviewed to see if it can be made better and safer. And the same is true for all other processes that impact safety.

In any case - I didn't follow the second link you sent - but I'll read it later. And all I saw at the first link was that other people share my desire for constant improvement.

What's most amusing about this topic is that both sides think they have clearly won the argument - but when all of the actual evidence we have access to is considered - it's obvious to me that the argument to "review and improve" is clearly the winner. DJI of course can and will do whatever they want to do - but that doesn't make it right.

Before I close - I do want to mention one post I found interesting over on that other thread. It was from a guy that experienced an accidental CSC while using the "Home Lock" feature - and it made me think about how Autopilot and some of the other 3rd party programs re-map the flight sticks during several of their modes. This could completely eliminate the argument that the stick combinations will NEVER occur during normal flight. Depending how the re-mapping is done - and what kind of shot the user is trying to capture - it may be increasingly likely that a minor error could trigger a CSC. This is probably the best argument yet for detaching the CSC process from the flight sticks and finding another button combination that can engage the emergency motor stop function.
well said sir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20