Is it dangerous to fly here?

Reaction score

Hi all, I am new to the forum and am looking for some advise. I am in the military (South Africa) and am planning to get some aerial shots at the upcoming Navy festival. Obviously at the end of the festival I would very much like to have my P3 in good (non crashed) condition, My question is therefore, being on a military base where ships, aircraft, submarines etc. will be communicating with each other constantly is there any danger of the communications or radar equipment messing with my ability to control the drone?

I don't know about South Africa, but in the US you world need to be a lot more concerned about government and military officials wanting to know why you are flying anywhere in the vicinity of a military installation. Highly illegal here.

Hi all, I am new to the forum and am looking for some advise. I am in the military (South Africa) and am planning to get some aerial shots at the upcoming Navy festival. Obviously at the end of the festival I would very much like to have my P3 in good (non crashed) condition, My question is therefore, being on a military base where ships, aircraft, submarines etc. will be communicating with each other constantly is there any danger of the communications or radar equipment messing with my ability to control the drone?
I believe they interfere because I'm a vet living near a base and when I get near the base, my reception blinks toward all those high radar towers over that way, lost my fpv couple times!!! I stay away from that direction, don't want a flyaway!!!...

Hey BDinLV, thanks for the reply, yes it is illegal here as well, but as we are members of the Military we have special permission to fly here. Just don't want to kill a member of the public accidentally.

Hi PD, yes that is what I am afraid of...

Is it dangerous to fly here? My question is therefore, being on a military base where ships, aircraft, submarines etc. will be communicating with each other constantly is there any danger of the communications or radar equipment messing with my ability to control the drone?
That sounds like a great opportunity to get some good photos .. Ships under way are very photogenic.
Worst case scenario would probably see you having problems with interference but that shouldn't make your Phantom crash or fly away.
It would just mean that the signal gets lost in the background and gets sketchy.
If it's so bad that you lose signal, your Phantom would give up and RTH.

Reactions: Johnna
Surley this airspace will get "EA" status or "MOA". In 1st case You need to have agreement for flying there, but in 2nd case You are denied to fly on this area. Check out at any drone radar app or website.

Surley this airspace will get "EA" status or "MOA". In 1st case You need to have agreement for flying there, but in 2nd case You are denied to fly on this area. Check out at any drone radar app or website.
Hi Adrian, I am nit sure what "EA" or "MOA" status means? If it refers to permissions that is not the issue here. What I am trying to find out is whether the radar or radio comms equipment will affect it technically

The short answer is "it can". The longer answer "probably not".

My question is therefore, being on a military base where ships, aircraft, submarines etc. will be communicating with each other constantly is there any danger of the communications or radar equipment messing with my ability to control the drone?
I frequently fly around ships SkyPixel - Connecting Creativity
I haven't noticed any issues with interference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31