Irony on of two different flights.

Reaction score
I find things that are opposite, different or not what they are supposed to be interesting. Flying and West Virginia has a lot of these situations. I was one square within the area from an airport, where I had to ask permission to fly. I got permission to fly at 400 'agl at Cheat River Canyon. I'm talking in a canyon. I had some problem with elevation. The canyon as canyons go, rise quickly. The trees were easily in my way at 400 feet agl at vlos if I left the river course. The same week I few at the top of the canyon above where I flew before at the big rock, "the over look". Of course I'm allowed to fly at 400'agl. Yeah, I was over a quarter a mile over from the other flight, but I'm over a 1,000 feet higher in elevation. I can see the airport. I'm not complaining and I flew within my 400 ft. max agl. I just think it's funny. Everyone that I have seen fly from the over look flew straight out well above 400ft. agl, but on the app it looked ok. On my first flight, I had to stop, because of the trees. I was below 400 ft. agl, but on the app I was maxed out. I have flown minus 300 ft. at the over look, if I got to minus 400ft. would I have to stop? LOL

DJI_0172.jpg

I have to agree with your assessment of being funny! I understand why they have to generalize the rules, but it does lend to scratching one’s head in these situations.
WV in the autumn is spectacular!

If you were allowed to fly at 400ft and you are descending the AGL diminishes you are getting closer to the ground all the flight time. The higher point was that at take off. I see no problems therefore.
I think that your certification wasn't apply to negative values as it is less than zero.
But if you want be absolutely sure fly near the slope of the canyon, not above the middle of it.
Beware of possible loosing GPS in windy conditions.

I find things that are opposite, different or not what they are supposed to be interesting. Flying and West Virginia has a lot of these situations. I was one square within the area from an airport, where I had to ask permission to fly. I got permission to fly at 400 'agl at Cheat River Canyon. I'm talking in a canyon. I had some problem with elevation. The canyon as canyons go, rise quickly. The trees were easily in my way at 400 feet agl at vlos if I left the river course. The same week I few at the top of the canyon above where I flew before at the big rock, "the over look". Of course I'm allowed to fly at 400'agl. Yeah, I was over a quarter a mile over from the other flight, but I'm over a 1,000 feet higher in elevation. I can see the airport. I'm not complaining and I flew within my 400 ft. max agl. I just think it's funny. Everyone that I have seen fly from the over look flew straight out well above 400ft. agl, but on the app it looked ok. On my first flight, I had to stop, because of the trees. I was below 400 ft. agl, but on the app I was maxed out. I have flown minus 300 ft. at the over look, if I got to minus 400ft. would I have to stop? LOL

.View attachment 120665
FWIW...

That would be 300' BGL and 400' BGL respectively. We don't say "minus 300' AGL."....<;^)

Your conundrum is exactly why I hacked past all that crap. Software that doesn't allow a given UAV pilot to obey the rules gets ejected fairly quickly in my world. I'm trying to make a living. I don't have time for that crap. It can be maddening.

I was stopped from flying a job ONCE. I immediately hacked past that crap and haven't dealt with permission issues since. That was 3 or 4 years ago.

D

Reactions: WV. Rootman
FWIW...

That would be 300' BGL and 400' BGL respectively. We don't say "minus 300' AGL."....<;^)

Your conundrum is exactly why I hacked past all that crap. Software that doesn't allow a given UAV pilot to obey the rules gets ejected fairly quickly in my world. I'm trying to make a living. I don't have time for that crap. It can be maddening.

I was stopped from flying a job ONCE. I immediately hacked past that crap and haven't dealt with permission issues since. That was 3 or 4 years ago.

D
Your point is very valid. The bureaucracy to look good is ridiculous and not functional in the business sense. Take responsibility for your own actions.

Reactions: Harleydude
Your point is very valid. The bureaucracy to look good is ridiculous and not functional in the business sense. Take responsibility for your own actions.
A-men. It's almost ironic that I rarely fly up to 400' AGL. I mostly fly in the 125' - 250' range. Only for Traffic Analysis do I actually fly up to our 400' ceiling. I always fly safe and obey the rules. The one time my drone was disabled was miles outside of controlled air space. Needless to say, I was very angry.

And of course, I never fly over people because the FAA says it's dangerous....<:^0

1606153399963.png

LOL...silly FAA.

D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31