Ipad mini3 16gb or Ipad Air2 16gb?

Reaction score
I'm expecting my P3Pro tomorrow, but I still have no screen to go with it. I was thinking to get an Ipad air 2, wifi I suppose rather than cellular, but I think that a 9.7" screen is quite massive and is going to seriously unbalance the hole thing.
The other Idea is the Ipad Mini3. 7" is just fine for me.
My concern is about the processor and memory capabilities, is it good enough to display video and data without freezing at some point?
Or maybe someone can recommend something better than the ipads?
Thanks.

My iPad Mini 2 works well. If you go with a Mini, the 2 and 3 both have an A7 processor.

Mini 3 is a Mini 2 with Touch ID. So save cash and just get a Mini 2 if you're gonna go that route.

I'd release the spend and go with the Air 2. Or wait for the next iteration of the mini or save cash and get a mini 2.

Amazing how many threads on the same topic in the last couple of weeks!

As I noted in one of the other threads about heat lag, I had an iPad Air 2 on the way to replace my Mini 2 which could not keep up (severe lag) in the hot local summer weather. The iPad 2 arrived yesterday and I had a chance to fly with it, so here's my feedback as promised.

I was fooling myself thinking the smaller Mini 2 screen was fine with a sunshade. The larger screen of the iPad 2 is far nicer, and not at all too large on the RC. Also, the built in glare reduction works very well. I flew without a sunshade and had no issues at all. I could easily see the screen while in the sun. In my opinion, it was much nicer than the add on anti-glare screens which add a very noticeable (to me) blur or distortion that I don't like.

Also, I flew through 3 batteries with FPV smooth as silk. No lag at all that I could tell. The ambient air temp at the time was 97F/36C, so that is very encouraging. This is exactly why I made the switch. The Mini 2 would have been lagging already at that temperature. (Note - the Mini 2 has no lag when I fly in cooler temperatures, so if you are not in the heat you should be okay)

So far I am very happy with my switch from the Mini 2 to the Air 2. I think it should allow me to fly more often during the summer heat, and I love not flying with a big sunshade attached. Just my personal experience. I hope that guy from Utah doesn't turn this into another android/apple war.

Reactions: bobmyers and jlo
I have a ipad 3 mini and a Nvidia shield both work very well. I use the shield because I'm beta testing my favorite piloting app. Litchi
But I do love the mini 3 when using the dji app.

Oso,
Did you get Wi-Fi only or cell also?
Thanks,
I got a wifi only version. I'm fully aware of the added functionality available with a GPS enabled tablet and I don't anticipate missing those features too much. If I ever need to, I guess I can use my iPhone 6 or tether the Air 2.

I was fooling myself thinking the smaller Mini 2 screen was fine with a sunshade. The larger screen of the iPad 2 is far nicer, and not at all too large on the RC. Also, the built in glare reduction works very well. I flew without a sunshade and had no issues at all. I could easily see the screen while in the sun. In my opinion, it was much nicer than the add on anti-glare screens which add a very noticeable (to me) blur or distortion that I don't like.

Also, I flew through 3 batteries with FPV smooth as silk. No lag at all that I could tell. The ambient air temp at the time was 97F/36C, so that is very encouraging. This is exactly why I made the switch. The Mini 2 would have been lagging already at that temperature. (Note - the Mini 2 has no lag when I fly in cooler temperatures, so if you are not in the heat you should be okay)

Living in the UK, the temperature is not really a problem! :), however, the antiglare feature is an important point. Good to hear that the video was smooth as well. It's a bit more money but I think I'm going to go for the Air 2... need a sunshade as well I guess.
Thanks.

Living in the UK, the temperature is not really a problem! :), however, the antiglare feature is an important point. Good to hear that the video was smooth as well. It's a bit more money but I think I'm going to go for the Air 2... need a sunshade as well I guess.
Thanks.
I've flown twice now with the Air 2 but no sunshade. I can see easily see the screen, and I don't have that big bulky sunshade to lug around. I dont intend to ever use a sunshade again. I hated using one with the Mini 2, but it was a necessity due to the glare. Far less glare with the Air 2.

If your using an IPad mini and are looking for an inexpensive sun shade. Buy a twelve pack of Lipton tea at the grocery store and the bottom cardboard fits around the mini perfectly!

Attachments

• IMAG0142.jpg
    IMAG0142.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 420
If your using an IPad mini and are looking for an inexpensive sun shade. Buy a twelve pack of Lipton tea at the grocery store and the bottom cardboard fits around the mini perfectly!
Nice. I love seeing all of the creative ways that people make their own sunshades. When I used the Mini 2, I made one from an Amazon box and lined the inside with black construction paper. It was basically free, just using stuff around the house. It worked great for the purpose!

Reactions: Opman711
Oso, that's a great write up. Could you expand on your decision to go with wifi only? What do you lose without cellular?
Thanks...

Last edited:
I also have a iPad Air 2. Lag is very minimal and weight isn't a issue. I also have the 16gb. If it is Strickland for flying that's fine but if your gonna use the iPad for everyday use as well spend the extra $$ on 64gb. 16gb will fill up faster than you think!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31