Ipad mini 4

If you need to have Internet connectivity (updates, DroneDeploy, Litchi) etc it's easier to have a Cellular enabled tablet. We intentionally buy ours without and if we really NEED connectivity we use our phone as a Hotspot and connect to the tablet to it.

Reactions: TontoFAC
What benefits do the wifi/cellular units have over the wifi only unit?
tons of posts about this question in the search, wifi only ipads have no gps but thats ok for normal flying becaue the drone has gps. no gps on the ipad just means the drone doesnt know where your standing if you moved since taking off so no way to change the home point to your RC spot. on p3s it also means no follow me again since the drone cant tell where your rc is located. p4s have a better way to follow so not a biggie for you. maps can be stored in advance, or use a perosnal hotspot for internet.

And because of a problem the app has with Apple devices, even with a GPS enabled iPad, you still can't reset the home point to the location of the controller.
But that's something very few flyers need to do anyway, so it's not a big issue.

As others have said, cellular-enabled devices will have an internal GPS (functional without a paid data plan), so the flight app you’re using can pinpoint your personal location on a map. This may be helpful for changing the home point or utilizing a GPS-based follow-me command.

Cellular devices, such as the iPad Mini 4, with a data plan will also be able to load the map imagery, but a common workaround is pre-loading them when you have wi-fi connectivity, or use your cell phone as a hotspot.

I use an iPad mini 5 with cellular. Its nice to have since you can have other apps such as LAANC approval, Verifly, etc without having to fuss with the cell phone.

Reactions: thegeekunderground
The ipad mini 4 with cellular/wifi has GPS and the wifi-only does not. With that said, you do not have to purchase a data plan to use the GPS. That's what I do. So paying a little more upfront will save you in monthly costs in the long run.

Reactions: vincent228
The ipad mini 4 with cellular/wifi has GPS and the wifi-only does not. With that said, you do not have to purchase a data plan to use the GPS. That's what I do. So paying a little more upfront will save you in monthly costs in the long run.
I’m curious. Which of the optional features do you personally use often enough to make having GPS on your iPad worth the added cost?

Note that I am fully aware of which optional features are enabled, so I’m not asking for that info. There are already hundreds of such posts. I’m just curious which of the features you use enough if you’re willing to share. :)

I’m curious. Which of the optional features do you personally use often enough to make having GPS on your iPad worth the added cost?

Note that I am fully aware of which optional features are enabled, so I’m not asking for that info. There are already hundreds of such posts. I’m just curious which of the features you use enough if you’re willing to share. :)
I use this ipad not just for droning but in my personal life as well. The GPS is great as a navigator in the car as it is larger than a cell phone and I like to look around a map esp if I'm lost!

Reactions: Oso

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31