iPad Mini 2 vs 4.....any preference for the P4?

I just traded in my Mini 1 wifi on Amazon for 94 and picked up a Mini 2 LTE for 156 on eBay. It's just as fast as the 3 and I'm not willing to pay for the 4 as all I do is web surf, read books on it and now, use the DJI Go app.

I was experiencing problems with the video feed on my mini 3 and then I tried the dji app on my phone and there was no problems. I have the 6s Plus and there is more RAM

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

i don't have the celluar on my mini2, i use my iphone 6s as a hot spot and connect my mini through wi fi to get the maps i need in the field and then i can shut off my cells hot spot so i'm not using more data than i need just to get the map ...works perfectly for me

Except for you don't have GPS support in your iPad to reset home point, correct?

I just traded in my Mini 1 wifi on Amazon for 94 and picked up a Mini 2 LTE for 156 on eBay. It's just as fast as the 3 and I'm not willing to pay for the 4 as all I do is web surf, read books on it and now, use the DJI Go app.
Yes, the mini 2&3 are basically identical architecturally, A7 CPU. They work fine below 90F ambient. But above that they will overheat and the iPad can't decode the video, it craps out until you cool it off. You can always connect a battery powered fan, that can increase the temp range a few more degrees, use ice pads on the back, or navigate from inside an air conditioned car with the motor on. I've used all these techniques to keep my iPad Mini 2 working in the summer.

The mini 4 has the higher performance A8 CPU that runs cooler while doing the same work, decoding video. It's the same architecture as the iPad Air 2.

Reactions: makg
Mini2 all the way. Faster process or RAM? For what? DJI Go or litchi don't need more, and you shouldn't use the ipad for anythinge else anyways.
So the only practical difference is you get a slightly less reflective display for 150$ more. outside in the bright sun every display is crappy, so just go under a tree or find some shadow...

Reactions: makg
My iPad 2 overheats with the DJI Go app in the summer time even without the case and causes the video to drop out making the drone hard to fly. I am hoping to get an iPad Pro mini if Apple releases one this year. I am starting to really prefer flying FPV using cheap VR goggles and an iPhone 6 plus though. Way more control and no light on the screen.

Mini2 all the way. Faster process or RAM? For what?
You will want the faster A8 CPU in the mini 4 so it doesn't crap out in temps over 90 to 95F. I have the Mini2 and it works good up to about 90F, but after that it's a problem, the video craps out from overheating. So if you live in cooler climates where it doesn't get over 90 to 95F, the Mini2 is a good option. Otherwise, I recommend Mini4 or Air2, and always fly without a case on the iPad.

Last edited:
You will want the faster A8 CPU in the mini 4 so it doesn't crap out in temps over 90 to 95F. I have the Mini2 and it works good up to about 90F, but after that it's a problem, the video craps out from overheating. So if you live in cooler climates where it doesn't get over 90 to 95F, the Mini2 is a good option. Otherwise, I recommend Mini4 or Air2, and always fly without a case on the iPad.

Unfortunately we are lucky to get 75f here in SW Wales but on the plus side my ipad mini 2 works a treat

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31