Invalid Battery on Phantom Vision..Advice needed.

This thread seems to have pretty quiet since the new firmware came out. I wonder if it's because people are no longer getting "invalid battery" warnings, or just because people aren't flying during weekdays?

With latest firmware (Nov 16) and current DJI iPhone app, the "invalid battery" message will no longer appear. When Apple blesses the revised app (later this week?) it will popup a message box saying something to the effect of "there is a communication failure of the battery, be careful when flying and come back asap". The PV autopilot can still read the battery voltage and will initiate an Auto Descent & Auto Landing if it drops below 10.65 volts (you can find all this info posted elsewhere on the forum).

FYI flew another successful flight early this morning for 15mins with full telemetry & video w/no issues, an occasional Going Home when flying out of range, easily restored to GPS pilot control when closer by toggling S1 (I'm in default GPS mode, not in NAZA M), topped off with a stable manual landing.

iDrone

Tracyflyer said:
Has your dealer asked for a copy of the video of the crash?
...and yes this was bone stock out of the box and I performed all required start up procedures and calibration.

No, they did not ask for a video. I think this whole 'Invalid Battery' thing has gotten so big that DJI just wants it to go away... Or at least appear that way. In DJI's reply, they indicated that they would be responsible for the 'Invalid Battery' defect and to work with your dealer for a replacement. BTW, still have not heard back from DroneFly.com?!

Firestat said:
Man O Man. What an epidemic. Before downloading 1.05, I had no problems. After the download, I got the same message that everyone else is getting, invalid battery, not DJI, etc. There was another patch (not the RC) that I downloaded and that problem went away, at least for now.

Another problem popped up, I cannot get the Gps to aquire sats. Phantom flashes yellow and no green, after 15 minutes.

Wrote DJI, no response

I've noticed that it takes me a bit longer to acquire satellites too. Not fifteen minutes, but three or four anyway. It used to be almost instantaneous... I think they may have changed the P.O.S.T routine when the bird boots up?!

-slinger

For what it is worth, I wrote DJI and this is their reply

"Please upgrade the firmware for the main board(Phantom 2 Vision Central Board ) of Phantom 2 Vision together with the firmware of Main controller."

After I wrote them, I discovered that there was another program. I have not been able to test fly, but at least the "invalid battery" does not show up.

Gunslinger, I noticed the same thing. I didn't have an ideal place (inside, weather) to aquire sats, but I did notice on the app that I had aqired 5 sats. I guess it takes 6 for the green lights to come on. Did you finally get the green lights?

Thanks, Chuck

Was Able to get a flight in last night. After I installed all the firmware / software updates cleaned the battery pin contacts with alcohol and lube the pins and contacts with conductive grease, I'm happy to report no more invalid batt issues. I keep the phantom close just flying back and forth about 100 meters in light wind and it function perfectly. It did take forever to get above 5 gps sati light though. I gave up waiting after 5 min and stated my flight, but after 10 mins of flying around it was showing 9 . I'm hopping to get another flight in tonight and will venture out further is everything is going well.

C...

Chederman, had the exact same flight experience that you had, waiting on the sats to load up. Once I lifted off the ground, the lights turned green. One thing I noticed is that the GPS hold was not great, Phantom kept floating around more than it should. Wonder if you noticed that too.

Chuck

Firestat said:
Chederman, had the exact same flight experience that you had, waiting on the sats to load up. Once I lifted off the ground, the lights turned green. One thing I noticed is that the GPS hold was not great, Phantom kept floating around more than it should. Wonder if you noticed that too.

Chuck

At first it floated around quite a bit, but by the 15 min mark it was holding position perfectly. I was only flying about 3 meters off the ground and making small adjustments practicing my pan and dolly moves. The wind was steady at 3 kts. I'll being in the air in a couple of hours and let you know how it goes. It will be night flying so do expect and viewable video. :)

C...

I have had my PV for a little over a week, had about 7 flights with no issues. Sunday I noticed that the camera feed was freezing, had to force close the android app, even reboot the phantom to get video signal back. Still flew good, just would randomly drop the video feed. Then Monday, yesterday I was flying about 50 feet up when the Invalid Battery error popped up and the phantom quickly decelerated with no reaction to RC controls, landing hard(in a parking lot) and falling to the side damaging two propellers. Tried two more really close flights, going no more than twenty feet up and got the invalid battery and aggressive landings(luckily in the grass this time). When I got home I noticed that DJI had just released some updates. So I installed the assistant app on my pc and proceeded to update everything that was available, even opened up the controller and updated with rc assistant. I took the phantom out today, flew for well over twenty minutes without issue. Update appears to have done the trick for me so far.

Here is my experience as written in an email, copied below, which I have sent to DJI and dealer. I have not heard back from DJI however the 48 hrs for their response has not passed yet. I will update the results. My picture of the app. On my phone cannot be uploaded to this site because of its size so I will post a link where you can see it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2039733

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Monday, November 18, 2013
Subject: Phantom 2 Vision problem 11/17
To: [email protected]

To whom it may concern,

I recently purchased the DJI Phantom 2 Vision from Century Helicopter Products / Helicopter World Inc. I received it last Thursday 11/14. On Friday 11/15 I unboxed it, read all the directions including downloading a .pdf of the manual from the DJI website, and charged the batteries. On Saturday morning I prepared for my first flight including the required compass calibration. Everything worked flawlessly and I experienced the most wonderful feeling of FPV flight. I was hooked at this time. A second flight later on Saturday was an even better experience as I was becoming more familiar with the Vision. I got my kids involved and videoed them with the Vision's camera as we raced because they thought they could run faster than it could fly. It was a big hit and I was more than ecstatic with this experience. Waking up on Sunday morning, 11/17, I was excited to get out and fly again. There was no wind, dead calm, perfect for a higher flight than the first two - I thought to myself, planning - I'm going to get up to some altitude...maybe a couple hundred feet. Everything started off fine. With fully charged batteries from the night before I took off and flew around for a minute just enjoying the ease of the controls. I started to ascend. When I got to around 60 feet up I heard an alarm sounding from my phone. I stopped the ascent and looked down at the phone, seeing that the battery icon was red. I could not see the number indication as there was glare from the sun on the screen. The alarm stopped. Looking back up at the Vision, all seemed okay. As I then slowly continued the ascent within one second it seemed like the motors on the left side of the Vision quit. The Vision went into a roll, continuously tumbling right-over-left all the way to the ground. I could not believe it as if I was having a really bad dream. I don't quite remember but I think that none of the motors were running as it hit the paving, as all I heard was silence followed by the crunch and cracking of plastic. I was in shock. I picked up the pieces and went home.

There is significant damage to the Vision. The camera mount plates shattered and the camera ripped off, except for the cord on the back, and it is bent at the plug. One blade had the tip snapped off. The landing gear is bent to one direction and away from the body at its mounting points as if the bolts have been stripped/ripped out of the body. The two body halves have separated slightly at a couple of locations where there is a gap and they no longer " line up". What I understand to be part of the compass on one of the landing gear legs has impact damage on theses multiple wires probably caused by the camera impacting them after the mount shattered. Just after the crash the screen of the DJI app on my phone states a message " Phantom 2 Vision connection lost" and the telemetry data shows 92% battery, 10 satellites, Distance 23.7 ft., Altitude 55.6 ft., Speed 0.0 mph.

Please help me remedy this situation. Is there a problem with the Phantom 2 Vision that would cause this loss of control and violent crash? I have several other helis, including fairly advanced CP models, and although I am far from an expert flyer I have gone through the normal learning curve, including unintended crashes, but none ever as severe as this. I thoroughly enjoyed the two flights that I got to experience from the FPV point of view and truly wish to experience more. What can be done?

Erik Jorgenson

On Monday, November 18, 2013, Erik Jorgenson wrote:

Dear DJI,

It was recommended to me, by Century Helicopter in San Jose California, to forward the following email to you. Please read the following and respond back to let me know what can be done.

Sincerely,

DJI / Century Helicopter,

As Joseph with Century Helicopter was asking for the video of the crash during our initial conversation today, I regret to inform that I cannot provide that. I did however take a photo (attached) of the DJI VISION application screen that was displaying on my phone just after the crash. Please see attached photo, taken with my iPad, which shows the data "frozen" at the time when the Vision just fell from the sky - as described in my original email - Speed: 0.0 mph Altitude: 55.6 ft Distance: 23.7 ft. Battery at 92% with 10 satellites on GPS.

I really wish to resolve this in a most positive and expeditious manner as possible.

Sincerely,

Erik Jorgenson

Firestat said:
Gunslinger, I noticed the same thing. I didn't have an ideal place (inside, weather) to aquire sats, but I did notice on the app that I had aqired 5 sats. I guess it takes 6 for the green lights to come on. Did you finally get the green lights?

Thanks, Chuck

Yup... It took around four minutes, but the bird finally acquired 8 satellites. Again... This process was, before the firmware upgrade, very much faster. If this is a trade off between this issue and "the battery issue of death" I'll be extremely patient.... :shock:

-slinger

Thank You Chedemann. I have notice hour by hour, day by day, that things are lining up and starting to straighting out. The stablisation started to get better as I flew the VP, but brought it down after about 5 minutes.

Keep us posted.

Chuck

Man, has this thread slowed down. Glad to see it. I finally programed the remote controller with RC Assistant today, and took it up. Everything seems to be fine.

Your welcome Chuck, I had hoped someone could use the info.

Yesterday was colder here in Dallas and after 5 min I started to get battery disconnect, but the PV stayed in complete control, I and landed and twisted the battery a little to the left, the side where the contacts are. Battery synced right back up. took off, then after a couple of minute loss battery connection again. I keep fly low and just practices my shoot list list. after ten minutes or so the battery conection cycled on and off every few minutes. I think as the battery get hot it shifts slightly on the contact.

Today I cleaned the contacts again slapped the battery in with just a little bit of force. That seem to do the trick. Full 23 Minute flight lots of maneuvering, like high-speed climbs etc..

Best of luck with your flights everyone!

c...

Firestat said:
Thank You Chedemann. I have notice hour by hour, day by day, that things are lining up and starting to straighting out. The stablisation started to get better as I flew the VP, but brought it down after about 5 minutes.

Keep us posted.

Chuck

It's good to see things slowing down on this issue;

One item to pass on regarding the battery data contacts, the spring loaded side in the Vision battery bay. When I took the Vision out of the box and pulled the battery for the1st time I noticed that one of the two contacts was still retracted. I wonder if some folks have a stiff contact or two which could be causing some of these intermittent battery problems.

I lubed these pins with TriFlow Teflon based plastic safe lube and exercised them with the blunt plastic end of a pen. They should be spring loaded and free. Then I used DeOxit Gold contact enhancer on all of the contacts.

I still recommend NOT storing the battery in the Vision, it keeps the battery contacts in their relaxed states for storage, and it also keeps mass out of the Vision in transit which might help reduce road rash. My 2 cents.

Lastly Remember, if the Vision should alarm, flash RED lights and begin to auto land, you can override the sequence and fly back by raising the throttle stick higher.

Fly back and LOOK at the rear battery LED fuel gauge, it should give the most accurate indication of the battery's current state. It's a good backup to have.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, guys. I think I have learned a lot in the last few days, mainly, not to take the pre-flight check list lightly. Amoung other things, make sure the battery is making contact and nothing is loose. Also, needs to make it much clearer on the upgrading procedure instead of just throwing it out there.

Hopefully, most of us are ok with all this now.

Made a few flights now and No battery problems at all. yet.. all updates were done.

tonight wanted to try to see if the gimbal was a bit better after re-positioning the gimbal on the servo to make it more point up on mid point on the iphone as I think it was pointing to far down hence bowed horizons, its not far in degrees between bow and no bow was just to far down for me., took it inside as wind was to much, so flew in the underground garage , no GPS but it was very stable flying maually, once hovering no real drift.

Flew to the limit of the battery, got the 30% warning on the phone and and flew till the 15% it gave nearly 3 minutes which is plenty of time if flying faw to see the warnings and get back, Was hovering most the flight as not much room, did a few turn arounds the time it took to go from 15% to 13% was not long, so definatly be returning home by the 20% time, if flying far away.

I am getting more and more frustrated now. I have done all updates to transmitter and Vision, I have cleaned the contacts on the battery sensor, and fully charged battery. I have tried using a dielectric grease on the pins, and tried it without. Everytime I fly, about 5 to 7 minutes into the flight, voltage still in the 70 to 80 % range, I get red instead of blue on the phone for battery voltage, and the Vision starts flashing red instead of green on the LED's. This condition oscilates back in forth between low voltage and everything normal every 5 or 10 seconds, with the Vision going into a landing mode everytime the red lights come on. Anybody have any ideas?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl