Invalid Battery on Phantom Vision..Advice needed.

HollyFlier said:
Just got off the phone with 'Trent' at DroneFly. Explained that I would like to return my defective PV (invalid battery & intermittent power loss on camera). He told me that I should make sure the battery was fully seated. I assured him it was! He said he would have to get authorization from DJI for a return or exchange and that it would take 2-3 days. I find this very odd. I thought DroneFly had excellent customer service? I'm beginning to think this problem is getting so big that the distributors are starting to panic... which would be a good thing to help expedite a resolution. He also mentioned that all of my issues should be fixed with the firmware update due out next week. I have my doubts...
I was starting to calm down about this as there are more important things in life.
However now they are trying to apportion blame on to the customer I am getting all wound up again.
In my case I AM ABSOLUTELY SURE MY BATTERY WAS INSTALLED CORRECTLY
This latest smoke and mirrors trick is disgusting

DJI is now confronted with a big decision to make on this battery nightmare; looks like there is no easy fix or we would all be flying again with an update by now.

The easy fix is; they can disable the battery ID feature in the CPU in Assistant and let us all fly our machines again, however this would open the doors for other companies to make batteries at half price!

FASTFJR said:
HollyFlier said:
Just got off the phone with 'Trent' at DroneFly. Explained that I would like to return my defective PV (invalid battery & intermittent power loss on camera). He told me that I should make sure the battery was fully seated. I assured him it was! He said he would have to get authorization from DJI for a return or exchange and that it would take 2-3 days. I find this very odd. I thought DroneFly had excellent customer service? I'm beginning to think this problem is getting so big that the distributors are starting to panic... which would be a good thing to help expedite a resolution. He also mentioned that all of my issues should be fixed with the firmware update due out next week. I have my doubts...

So a firmware update should fix a problem with a battery seating :shock: :lol:

Yes it could as it is not the heavy duty main power connectors but the smaller telemetry/logic connectors causing the problem

Having just re read that you are right it won't fix a battery seating problem but could fix the consequences ie not remove power from an airborne craft

Mike Mas said:
DJI is now confronted with a big decision to make on this battery nightmare; looks like there is no easy fix or we would all be flying again with an update by now.

The easy fix is; they can disable the battery ID feature in the CPU in Assistant and let us all fly our machines again, however this would open the doors for other companies to make batteries at half price!
They could disable the battery ID feature in flight only thus the best of both worlds. Ie they keep their battery's and we can fly with confidence
I personally do not have a problem with paying for their battery's as we need them to profit so they can make great Innovative products in the future
I am hacked off now they are blaming the customer on what is an obvious product problem

Guys
In my case I had the problem very early on however I can categorically state that it was NOT due to the batteries not being all the way in, being employed in aerospace design I figured it could have been a problem with the small pins straight away.
In my case I had the vision on the bench all week end powered up with motors not running hence no vibration and the fault would randomly appear. I can assure you I would have needed a hydraulic press to have tried to get a better connection on installing the battery.

Okay, then... So much for "clean your battery contacts", "please insure your battery is inserted all the way." This sounded, to me, like a firmware issue or defective batteries right from the get go...

I don't know about the rest of you, but it takes a good grip and a very hard yank to get the battery out of mine... I think it's pretty freakin' well seated...

kingcat200 said:
Mike Mas said:

They could disable the battery ID feature in flight only thus the best of both worlds. Ie they keep their battery's and we can fly with confidence
I personally do not have a problem with paying for their battery's as we need them to profit so they can make great Innovative products in the future
I am hacked off now they are blaming the customer on what is an obvious product problem

seriously, they should just change the logic to be that way. do they think we will change batteries in-flight to bypass their battery check? hmmm...that would be great tho to have a another drone perform a mid-air "refueling" of our phantoms.

Invalid battery problem !!! I didn't have this problem till today, 20 some flights. I build power lines for a living and we use what we call pedal grease for high voltage connections. I put just a dab on the small connectors in the phantom itself. So far no more problem ---- the grease is called penatrox. I called dronefly, where I bought the phantom and asked them what it was worth to them for the solution, I asked for a spare battery and props, no such luck. They told me they already had a solution, software. Anyway I have done some hard core flying and all is good. I hope this works for you all as well.

A quick update everyone, just spoke to my local dealer and they are aware of the "invalid battery" issue. They have also spoke to DJI and according to them, DJI's reply to them was to wait for a firmware update which is coming out next week.

However, i wanted to validate something my local supplier said, they told me this battery issue only happens after we have done the first update. So my question is, has anyone been hit by this battery issue even when they are on their original firmware?

I had the battery issue before ever hooking up the phantom to the PC (so for sure before any firmware upgrade). Right out of the box I had problems on the first startup. The last two days, DJI and my dealer has told me to return the battery which I find unusual if a firmware update due this week would fix the problem. Thinking it must be a physical defect with the connections. Just a hunch, but the two round connectors between the battery and the phantom must be suspect. I bet they are not making a solid connection..

Same here. I still have the original firmware. I had five good flights before I received Colin Quinn's early Christmas gift of an Invalid Battery! So much for your dealers theory. Sounds like everyone is grasping at straws to avoid a flood of Phantom Vision returns!

Mine was with the original firmware. I also suspect its the smaller pins @ the bottom. Here is a email I got from DJI in reply to the issues I described to them of the "Invalid Battery." I also returned mine to my dealer for a exchange yesterday. I liked the product enough with the over 7 successful flight I had to give it a second chance. Maybe its a bad batch, who knows. In about a months time I'm sure we should know what the real cause is.

2eq85kg.jpg

jerms said:
A quick update everyone, just spoke to my local dealer and they are aware of the "invalid battery" issue. They have also spoke to DJI and according to them, DJI's reply to them was to wait for a firmware update which is coming out next week.

However, i wanted to validate something my local supplier said, they told me this battery issue only happens after we have done the first update. So my question is, has anyone been hit by this battery issue even when they are on their original firmware?

Ive had the invalid battery out of the box. The firmware did not make a difference.
I dont think its the battery pins that are the problem, I get the invalid battery randomly, even on idle.

Akin_aydemir01 said:
jerms said:

Ive had the invalid battery out of the box. The firmware did not make a difference.
I dont think its the battery pins that are the problem, I get the invalid battery randomly, even on idle.

Same here, straight out the box with the issue.

Straight out the box as well, never been connected to a PC!

Always push battery fully home to it clicks in (can't push it any further). So not user error!!!!!

Firmware update can't come soon enough. Flown it 4 times and now gathering dust in the spare room. :cry:

Not much to add to all that has been previously stated and to my earlier post on this thread, but as the question was raised as to when first happened, mine too was was prior to any upgrade/connection to pc.
After speaking to my dealers a second time by email, i decided to follow some of the dji advice and cleaned the pins on battery and holder, but stopped short of the sofware download. The cleaning has made No difference, my vision connects up all ok, the fault only comes up for me whilst in flight, again if you try to not push the battery fully home a connection error comes up, and not the 'invalide battery'. it makes a positive click and you could not force a mouses fart through the gap.. so yes the battery is fully in.
Hard to understand why we are still being kept in the dark by dji, surely a posting on this forum would help Mr Dji ! , would certainly stop the speculation.

I haven't had this problem... YET!!! The very first time I do, this thing goes back on the next truck.

The problem you guys are experiencing is bad enough, not to mention scary... You run the risk of losing a sizable investment as well as the possibility of causing property and/or personal damage if this thing drops out of the sky on something/someone.

That troubles me deeply. But not as deeply as the silence from DJI. Or the misdirection from DJI.

1) Your battery contacts need to be cleaned
2) Your not pushing your battery in all the way
3) You've plugged it into your PC and somehow mucked it up
4) The new firmware will solve the problem

I need to hear that the last one is actually the truth before I believe anything that's being "leaked" to us from DJI. Leaking the information is very, very far away from making a public statement. They would be responsible for the veracity of a public statement. And they seem to be shying away from that...

Where's their personable shill hiding?

-slinger

I haven't plugged my phantom into my pc yet. Had the invalid battery fault after about 20 flights, Called dronefly and they told me if I had flown the phantom, to bad no refund. Thanks a lot DRONEFLY. I used the electrical paddle grease on the small connections like I said earlier and have had no problems.

They put themselves on a very slippery slope with comments like that, most of us don't have the problem until we fly, until we get the invalid battery, until we go into emergency landing mode, until we land wherever, until we crash. Bit difficult for them to wriggle out of their responsibilities, at the moment we are talking possible replacements/money back if we no longer remain patient. those that have yet to log into such forums as this will be oblivious. so what a crass statement to make as the stakes may well get higher. Blame and claim. fit for purpose etc . How many users have insurance ? i'm hearing many first timers flying these machines as they are marketed for ease of use. Dodgey days ahead i fear. We need quicker and sensible answers.

wildcatter said:
Called dronefly and they told me if I had flown the phantom, to bad no refund. Thanks a lot DRONEFLY.

I don't know about consumer rights legislation in the US but in the UK anything you buy must be "of satisfactory quality" and "fit for purpose". Clearly an RC aircraft that refuses to continue flying despite you using the manufacturer's genuine parts doesn't satisfy either test and therefore these conditions that are legally implied in every sale of goods would have been breached. The dealer must refund you, the consumer, then have their own fight with the manufacturer about getting their money back. On top of that if you bought your Vision over the internet then you have a totally separate right to return any goods for any reason within 14 days of the date of delivery, whether open box and used or otherwise, for a refund less any shipping charges to get it back. I'm sure there must be similar protections in the US?

All of the above notwithstanding the response you got was just plain old bad customer service. Doubt you'll be going to them for anything in the future.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj