Interesting Observation On P4P Jpegs

Reaction score
I shot a couple of pics with my new Phantom 4 Pro (shooing DNG+Jpeg),in first checking them out I couldnt help but notice the jpgs were 72 dpi, I thought "Well thats great, DJI is treating them just like the 1/2.3 sensor jpgs of the past" upon importing them into Photoshop I noticed yes the are 72 dpi, but the size is 72" x 50.667", though the file resolution is correct at 5472 x 3648, so I am wondering if you shrink the physical (reported) 72"x 51") size to say 18"x 12" if the res wouldnt correspond to something like 300 dpi.

BTW the DNG files are fine though they are recording at something like 39 MB (thats MegaBytes) a piece, which I thought was quite large, my 24 mp Nikon FX files are @ 30 MB each for their RAW files.

Just to note that the other Sony 1" sensor camera I own (RX100M1) jpeg files are 350 dpi not 72 dpi (shooting RAW, (ARW format + jpegs)), the raw files are just about 20 MB. All in all in doesnt really matter, perhaps shooting DNG+jpeg reduces the jpg to a small size and shooting a jpeg alone would increase the dpi of the file or reduce the physical to something reasonable, or maybe its just a software thing, I dont know and am not really going to use the jpegs I only use them to sort through the Raw files so i know which ones I want to edit. Any thoughts?

Kinda answered my own question on reducing document size on the Jpeg, if I auto size it in Photoshop to "best" it winds up at 266 dpi @ 18" x 12", weird though it comes out of the camera like that in the first place, right?

Kinda answered my own question on reducing document size on the Jpeg, if I auto size it in Photoshop to "best" it winds up at 266 dpi @ 18" x 12", weird though it comes out of the camera like that in the first place, right?
Yes, a file can be set to any physical size. It's still the full resolution file. It's all an equation actually. Your measurements or dimensions of the file multiplied by the pixels per inch or PPI will give you how many pixels make up that file horizontally and vertically. So if you don't throw away any information, everything in the equation has to change when you change any of the specs of the file. So the J-pegs are set by DJI to be @72 dpi. But the dimensions are huge at that resolution. So multiplied out it is a big file. It just makes you think it's small because that resolution number is small. But if you printed it out at those dimensions and left it set at 72dpi the print would be fine so to speak. Hope I have worded this stuff kinda close. LOL

Reactions: Reed L

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic