Intentional Parachute Deployment - Monday - Fort Myers

This test will be at 300 feet which gives the unit a whole lot of time to deploy.
I normally fly well below that height, often in the 50 to 125 foot range.
What is the minimum height necessary to guarantee the effective deployment of your product?

So- What happened? It’s Feb. 9. I assume you ran the test.
How did it go?
Also, what’s the minimum effective altitude needed for the chute to save the drone from major damage?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Keep in mind the Phantom is caring the extra weight of the two GoPro cameras.

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Keep in mind the Phantom is caring the extra weight of the two GoPro cameras.
Thats awesome!!!

I didn’t know the Phantom 4 series had an auto recovery system. Don’t think I would try it without the chute.
Would of like to seen it deployed from different heights though.
We could not do it this weekend, but would still like to do additional deployments that other pilots are able to attend. Monday was a bit of a challenge for many but the pilots that were able to be there sure seemed to enjoy / appreciate being able to witness it live. We are happy to coordinate and do it again!

So- What happened? It’s Feb. 9. I assume you ran the test.
How did it go?
Also, what’s the minimum effective altitude needed for the chute to save the drone from major damage?
It takes 31 feet for the chute to deploy and brake the drone to its full potential.

Reactions: 3rdof5
This test will be at 300 feet which gives the unit a whole lot of time to deploy.
I normally fly well below that height, often in the 50 to 125 foot range.
What is the minimum height necessary to guarantee the effective deployment of your product?
Agreed - many people are not flying at 300 feet, but as our first test and demonstration (we are not the manufacturer) we wanted to deploy from a safe distance. Having not considered this previously when we deployed a chute on an M200, we were below 200 feet and it was no problem. The manufacturer states that it needs about 31 feet to deploy and become fully effective.

Reactions: skymonkey
So are you saying it will drop about 31 feet as it deploys - so even at 75-100’ it would slow down a fall & work to land with minimum damage?

We could not do it this weekend, but would still like to do additional deployments that other pilots are able to attend. Monday was a bit of a challenge for many but the pilots that were able to be there sure seemed to enjoy / appreciate being able to witness it live. We are happy to coordinate and do it again!
Mine is arriving tomorrow and hope I'll never need it.:D

So are you saying it will drop about 31 feet as it deploys - so even at 75-100’ it would slow down a fall & work to land with minimum damage?
Yes - and I think that might be the next thing we test.

In our testing, we had to execute the CSC to shut off the motors and when doing so, the aircraft wanted to restart them for us so we had to do it a second time. The manufacturer tested a single or dual motor failure and it deploys immediately. While our test is not realistic in the sense that most pilots would never be in the position to cut off all 4 motors in an non-failure, non-emergency situation (causing the aircraft to attempt to correct itself) - it was practical for testing the actual deployment of the parachute and the distance from deployment to full slow down of the falling aircraft.

Reactions: jephoto

I can definitely make it on the weekends. I would love to witness the deployment live as well.
I thought I wouldn’t but I fly with mine all the time now since the V2’s are nearly impossible to get a replacement.

Last edited:
Received today. So small and lightweight.....
IMG_1129 (2).jpg

Congrats LUISMARTINEZ, do your firmware update and charge for an hour.
Most importantly don’t FORGET to turn her on. Wait for blue light take her up about 15-20 ft and bring her back down to eye level to check for green light (armed).
Post back your satellite reception findings.
Good Luck!

Most importantly don’t FORGET to turn her on. Wait for blue light take her up about 15-20 ft and bring her back down to eye level to check for green light (armed).
Good Luck!
Thanks. I never begin a flight w/o a checklist. Of course, have commitments today and won't be able to install until tomorrow.:mad:

Good Luck!
Raining today. In Arizona..we don't know how to react :).
Got 10 sats in 30 seconds in my backyard (tall trees, walls). No doubt it will do better in open spaces.

Raining today. In Arizona..we don't know how to react :).
Got 10 sats in 30 seconds in my backyard (tall trees, walls). No doubt it will do better in open spaces.

That’s great, I’m sure when you take her up you’ll be getting a lot more satellites.
After a few flights you won’t want to fly without the chute. Just be careful with tall trees.
Fly Safe...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.