Insurance

Credit Card purchase insurance specifically excludes all aircraft, and all design and manufacturing defects, so if a similar design or manufacturing defect exclusion exists in an aircraft policy, the insurance company can just point the finger at DJI, and blame them for every crash!

Your homeowners or renters policy should cover you for any liability. Buying a backup drone is the best form of coverage for loss of aircraft. Every Pro photographer/videographer has and carries backup equipment to every job!

Reactions: jryser
Just about to get Phantom 3 Standard, thinking about getting insurance for it, if you do recommend them who is best to go to?

You should look into joining the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics)
While it doesn't cover the cost of repairing/replacing your quad, AMA membership includes the following:

Member Insurance Benefit
- If You Purchased It

$2.5 Million Liability Umbrella - $400 or more a year

$25,000 Medical Coverage - $600 or more a year

$1,000 Fire and Theft Coverage - $30 or more a year

If you join before September 15th, you can beat the annual membership cost increase.

You should look into joining the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics)
While it doesn't cover the cost of repairing/replacing your quad, AMA membership includes the following:

Member Insurance Benefit
- If You Purchased It

$2.5 Million Liability Umbrella - $400 or more a year

$25,000 Medical Coverage - $600 or more a year

$1,000 Fire and Theft Coverage - $30 or more a year

If you join before September 15th, you can beat the annual membership cost increase.
Aren't you limited to flying at AMA approved flying areas for coverage to apply? Or does it cover flying anywhere, no matter how negligently?

speaking of the AMA, i joined a couple months ago.

do they mail me a membership card or something?

Aren't you limited to flying at AMA approved flying areas for coverage to apply? Or does it cover flying anywhere, no matter how negligently?
No
speaking of the AMA, i joined a couple months ago.

do they mail me a membership card or something?

You will receive a card and one year subscription to Model Aviation magazine. Depends on which version you selected, the traditional magazine or the electronic version.

No

You will receive a card and one year subscription to Model Aviation magazine. Depends on which version you selected, the traditional magazine or the electronic version.

ok, thanks, still waiting on a card....

1. Aren't you limited to flying at AMA approved flying areas for coverage to apply?
2. Does it cover flying anywhere, no matter how negligently?

A single "No" to two questions doesn't make your answer clear.
What are you saying "No" to?
The first question, or the second question?
Can you please answer both questions?
Thanks!:cool:

Last edited:
So getting coverage on a done is impossible. ..or hard to get a reasonable price for one that's 2 question ...im a member of ama and from my understanding we are only covered @ ama sites

Wouldn't the fact that FAA guidelines currently prohibit commercial use exclude any such coverage under any policy? Insurance is all about exclusions for anything that is likely. I can't see them offering coverage for activities not fully sanctioned by the FAA. That's a great loophole for them to deny coverage, while still happily selling you a policy and collecting premiums, knowing nothing commercial will ever be covered.
Bingo! For any reputable aviation underwriter to insure you for liability coverage you must be 333 authorized. The best coverage I found so far is $975 annually, and you must provide evidence of 333.
No insurance company is going to sell you insurance to do an illegal thing.

Bingo! For any reputable aviation underwriter to insure you for liability coverage you must be 333 authorized. The best coverage I found so far is $975 annually, and you must provide evidence of 333.
No insurance company is going to sell you insurance to do an illegal thing.
thanks for clarifying this. do you need a dba to file along with the 333 to prove you are a legit business?

thanks for clarifying this. do you need a dba to file along with the 333 to prove you are a legit business?
Not at all, the FAA does not get into the details of your business, you can be a one pony operation or one hundred. I am a sole owner, chose to file as such but provided a dba, or you can be an LLC. My local business license is listed under my name and also a dba. As a sole owner I'm on the hook legally for any wrong doings and tax purposes, I may go the LLC route later if the business survives the first year.
DISCLAIMER-nothing I say here should be considered legal advice.:D

So getting coverage on a done is impossible. ..or hard to get a reasonable price for one that's 2 question ...im a member of ama and from my understanding we are only covered @ ama sites
That's my understanding as well--AMA insurance is required for flying at any AMA sites, and that AMA coverage is also exclusively limited only to flying at an AMA site, with no coverage whatsoever anywhere away from an AMA site.

Awaiting correction, or further corroboration.:cool:

That's my understanding as well--AMA insurance is required for flying at any AMA sites, and that AMA coverage is also exclusively limited only to flying at an AMA site, with no coverage whatsoever anywhere away from an AMA site.

I believed I read somewhere that the AMA covers you away from AMA sites as long as you are following their rules.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/InsuranceSummaryMembers.pdf

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

Their website and multiple publications clarify that their coverage is NOT limited to AMA sites or events. One example of this statement is, I just received my AMA card, and this was on the back:

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440199959.177293.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440199933.695912.jpg

A single "No" to two questions doesn't make your answer clear.
What are you saying "No" to?
The first question, or the second question?
Can you please answer both questions?
Thanks!:cool:

Sorry, No to the first question. The posts below spell out pretty clearly what they will cover. I kinda figured that the answer to the second question was a no brainer. Negligence almost certainly would not be covered by any insurance.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20