Insurance

But don't you need to be in an AMA sanctioned airfield for this coverage?

I joined a RC field where I can fly my drone. They require that you belong to AMA so you have their insurance incase your drone falls and hits a car near the field or anything.

AMA offers a lot of coverage too.

But don't you need to be in an AMA sanctioned airfield for this coverage?
According to their own web site (emphasis mine):

"A membership in the Academy of Model Aeronautics covers you for whatever you fly and wherever you fly. And it doesn’t matter if you fly an airplane, helicopter, park flyer, multirotor, quadcopter, sUAS, FPV, DIY drone or even an aerial robot. Just join the AMA, fly for recreational fun and operate within the AMA National Model Aircraft Safety Code1 and you’re good to take off."​

According to their own web site (emphasis mine):

"A membership in the Academy of Model Aeronautics covers you for whatever you fly and wherever you fly. And it doesn’t matter if you fly an airplane, helicopter, park flyer, multirotor, quadcopter, sUAS, FPV, DIY drone or even an aerial robot. Just join the AMA, fly for recreational fun and operate within the AMA National Model Aircraft Safety Code1 and you’re good to take off."​
For those interested, here's a copy of the AMA Safety Code 1
B3 in this document is what implied to me that you must be at an organized model airfield with established flight lines.

Given the capability of the Phantom craft, things that many of us violate in this AMA code are:
1. FPV flight (per their specific #550 guideline) without a spotter (VO)
2. Flying over structures or cars
3. Flying beyond VLOS (which is about 2000' on a good day)

For those interested, here's a copy of the AMA Safety Code 1
B3 in this document is what implied to me that you must be at an organized model airfield with established flight lines.

Given the capability of the Phantom craft, things that many of us violate in this AMA code are:
1. FPV flight (per their specific #550 guideline) without a spotter (VO)
2. Flying over structures or cars
3. Flying beyond VLOS (which is about 2000' on a good day)
It looks like section B3 would make drone coverage amost worthless. I've contacted the AMA through their website to get a definitive answer on this topic.

As a followup, I did hear back from the AMA. the section B3 covers events or the club field, you would have recreational coverage elsewhere. The following is the response that I received back to asking if drone coverage was restricted to the section B3 rules:

Hi Chris,

Thank you for contacting AMA. Your reference to the Safety Code applies to an event or club field. If there was an accident that occurred behind the safety line at an event or club field, AMA doesn't make that determination. It would be up to our Third Party Administrator.

If you are flying for recreational purposes and not business pursuits, you can fly anywhere within the United States and the policy would respond.

Regards,
Lisa

Reactions: DmaxSurveyor
I was thinking about joining because the county parks make it mandatory to have insurance, but the area they "deem" for drone flight is like flying in a backyard whereas the people who have fixed wing aircraft have this huge area they can fly in and we're stuck in the helicopter area.

Give me a break my P4 is much safer than one of those remote control jets doing 150 mph, and drones aren't like those gas model helicopters you see people struggling with learning to fly.

Plus will the AMA insurance cover you if you're flying outside an "RC" park?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I was thinking about joining because the county parks make it mandatory to have insurance, but the area they "deem" for drone flight is like flying in a backyard whereas the people who have fixed wing aircraft have this huge area they can fly in and we're stuck in the helicopter area.

Give me a break my P4 is much safer than one of those remote control jets doing 150 mph, and drones aren't like those gas model helicopters you see people struggling with learning to fly.

Plus will the AMA insurance cover you if you're flying outside an "RC" park?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
According the response that I got back from the AMA (message #26 in this thread), it's anywhere within the US.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spaz_12