Installed prop Summitlink® Snap On/off prop guards

Reaction score
Installed these this afternoon and flew the bird...Was a different flight but somewhat expected that. After on the ground post flight inspection i noticed that the motors did not seem to be perfectly straight up and down. Slightly tilted in a couple different directions. Quad flew OK but not like it had pre guards. Used the Summitlink® Snap On/off prop guards... different screws that i tried to tighten in a cross pattern... is this I just didn't notice pre guards or did I do something wrong? Safe flight to 100+ ft altitude gut just curious now after looking at the motors

TIA

The motors are tilted by design.

Must be. They were always tilted :)

Must be. They were always tilted :)
Makes me feel better anyways..... Quad didn't fly the same as before but guess it was the added weight and air disturbance...Not bad just different ..

I have had them on since day one and fly with them when I am not shooting video -- take them off when I shot video. Frankly, I cannot tell any difference in the way it flies, with or without. If they are not off when shooting, they will be in the shot much to the time against the wind. It is a matter of preference, they do have some prop saving value down low and around trees..

Reactions: rdm362
OK. I'm gonna ask a question I've wanted to ask for months... why does any competent person use prop guards? It's the most pointless, somewhat risky, thing to do that MIGHT help you if you hit something lightly, and in all honesty will probably save you some cheap props if you tip over... Seriously, what gives? When I got my first P2 I tried them thinking everyone used them, made it fly like crap and look like I was a reckless idiot. Why not just fly smart and know what your doing?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Oh and I forgot the main reason why they suck, they show up in the video every time you go full speed forward.

OK. I'm gonna ask a question I've wanted to ask for months... why does any competent person use prop guards? It's the most pointless, somewhat risky, thing to do that MIGHT help you if you hit something lightly, and in all honesty will probably save you some cheap props if you tip over... Seriously, what gives? When I got my first P2 I tried them thinking everyone used them, made it fly like crap and look like I was a reckless idiot. Why not just fly smart and know what your doing?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Oh and I forgot the main reason why they suck, they show up in the video every time you go full speed forward.
Like I said,, it is a matter of preference-- if you want to make that a test of competency, then that is your opinion. So I am competent when I shoot video and incompetent when I fly around trees. Guess I should stay away from trees. :D:D:D:D:D

Reactions: c4Lvin and LuvMyTJ
I thought about installing the ones that came with my kit bundle, just never got around to it. Plus, I've pretty much flown only in open fields and parks. Now I guess I'll never put them on, at least not these........ they're not the quick-disconnect style.

Depends entirely on how and where you fly and shoot. Some like, some don't - I really don't care what anyone else thinks...I like 'em!

Reactions: bobmyers
When I got my first P2 I tried them thinking everyone used them, made it fly like crap and look like I was a reckless idiot. Why not just fly smart and know what your doing?.

sounds like you answered you own question. Maybe a lot of people bought the P3 as their First quad, and are "flying smart" by trying to protect it until they learn what it is going to do.
If you're more concerned with how you 'look' while flying instead of being a better pilot, then get some transparent guards.

I'll leave mine on for the first couple dozen flight, until I can predict what is likely to happen with this $1000+ piece of hardware. My Friend who also bought one, drifted it into his neighbors new Mercedes. Now he has got an insurance claim to handle too.

Reactions: PaulS
I always use them when flying around my Grand kids and family, I would never forgive myself if one of them got hurt for any reason. I also use them when flying in the Hanger, shooting Phase team maintenance procedures, but pop them off when flying out and about in open country. As I have the PhantomGuards with mounted clips it is a matter of seconds to add or remove them. To each their own, if you want to use them or not is your business, but don't disparage others for doing so.

Reactions: bobmyers
OK. I'm gonna ask a question I've wanted to ask for months... why does any competent person use prop guards? It's the most pointless...

My name is Paul and I use prop guards. There...I said it.

I am a beginner Phantom pilot. I bought prop guards before my shipped. I want to make sure that no one gets hurt and that my props don't get trashed. I've had 10 successful flights and one minor crash, which was caused by pilot error. I would have ruined my props if it weren't for the guards.

So, people like YolevonALLin...make your own choices but don't judge me for mine. Your world is not my world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic