Information on wiring Banggood gimbal on Phantom 2?

Nice I opted for a really lightweight and small 450mah battery that powers everything i have except for my fpv since that is crucial . I have ordered a jst spilter and a male jst end plug for it all. Works awesome my gimbal powers up and settles perfectly videos are actually quite stable no jello-ing as they call it . I am in process of 3d printing a mount for it. I did this bc my gimbal is not permanent as I take it off for other accessories

JST plug - just saw that that's what is printed on my connectors, so that's what they're called! ;-) Tried my gimbal again, it was a little more stable this time, but never fully settles down to silent operation - there's always a motor sound and vibrations (I thought the idea of a gimbal was to remove vibrations, not add them)! Waiting for a response from the seller, maybe needs calibration or something. Once it powers up and is stable (& hopefully quiet), then I'll tackle the pitch control issue - not at all sure of the wiring for that, if it is indeed just one wire or three and if the connections I want to use are correct.
My setup is removable too (thus the JST plug/socket & single connector wire that slides over the pin on the gimbal) - which is probably just as well since at the moment I'll be going back to the Sony action cam with fixed mount - the results are pretty good even without a gimbal, but despite the Sony image stabilization I still get the jello effect.

Just a quick update - got my gimbal mounted and wired to my P2, using a single wire from the Naza controller - F2 port of the Naza module - 'signal' connector at the bottom of the far left row of pins on the module - and connected it to the 'signal' connector on the top right of the row of pins on the gimbal ('A0' signal), and bought some JST connectors from Aliexpress for a few Euros which I used to provide power to the gimbal by soldering a connector directly to the battery connectors on the mainboard (that way I can unplug the gimbal when I don't want to use it). So pretty straightforward really. Then had to ask the seller on Aliexpress a couple of questions - they provided a profile for the gimbal & SJ4000 camera (I have this version, not the GoPro one) and the GUI software to control the gimbal. Downloaded the profile to the gimbal using the application. Gimbal is stable and seems to work well.

There are some tweaks I wanted to do, such as have the 'default' position with the camera tilted slightly forward and not horizontal and limit the amplitude of the 'pitch' control wheel on the P2 RC (the gimbal 'bottoms out' when pointing downwards, since the cable connector hits off the alloy arm and the camera 'bounces'). Read through the GUI documentation, pretty complex stuff, can't pretend to have understood much of it! So through trial & error and by setting the min/max pitch angles to (-30, +50), I have been able to obtain something pretty close to what I'm looking for, but not quite perfect yet. When I turn on the P2, the gimbal settles to a position tilted slightly forward as I wanted (don't know how I managed that, but there you go...!), and when I push the pitch wheel on my RC upwards gently the camera starts tilting forward and when I release it the camera returns to its 'rest' position. However, if I push past its maximum tilt downwards (which I can see, since the P2 is sitting in front of me) to the 'stop' on the rotating knob, the camera rotates upwards to a horizontal position - it also does this if I push the knob too fast and hit the 'stop' position. So this is all fine & well when I can see the camera & P2 sitting in front of me now, but since I have no live video feed installed, once the P2 is in the sky it will be impossible to adjust what I'm doing to avoid going past the maximum downward tilt, I'll just have to guess. So ideally I'd like to be able to configure the gimbal so that the 'stop' point on the control wheel corresponds to its maximum downward tilt so that there's no guessing involved, but haven't been able to find out how to do that yet. :-(

So not far off what I'm looking for, and I guess for 40€ I shouldn't really complain for my first excursion into gimbal usage :)

Hmm, interesting - I hadn't thought to check the DJI Assistant for gimbal settings (latter part of your video), although I suspect that for it to work I'd need to wire all three Naza pins in the column and not just the single 'Pitch' pin as I've done. Up until now I've been using the software provided with the Chinese gimbal to tweak the gimbal's behaviour, not exactly intuitive but I managed to get close to what I want. Will have a look at the DJI Assistant though when I have a minute, thanks for the info.

I messed around with a cheap chinese $35 gimbal for awhile. Never could get it to work.
I recently got a new Zenmuse 3d-HD from Blinq for $142. It shows they have 2 left in stock. I received 3 days after order in USA. Best price I ever have seen on new one. Best advice if ya can swing it, grab one. Zen works great!!!

Mine works pretty well - not perfectly, but not too far off, at least close enough for it to have been worth 40€ !

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl