Inexpensive Back Pack Solution

Reaction score
This is a cheap but practical back-pack option for your Phantom for those, like me, who are careful with the pennies! I use a hard case when travelling where I need more protection.

COST
Currently is £24 GBP (I got it for £22 on sale) plus the foam and bits and bobs for the inside.

THE BACK PACK
maru6ajy

Got from http://www.sportsdirect.com/hot-tuna-travel-backpack-710277?colcode=71027726
* 2 outside pockets for accessories box, 2 batteries, transmitter and strap
* Laptop sleeve for heli-pad, insurance doc etc
* Another parallel sleeve for a ground sheet – for wet grass launch areas
* Large internal rectangular space – most back packs I found were too rounded, unzips 3/4 way round, hinge at side. It has 2 internal zipped compartments which I don’t use. I leave them unzipped
* Side Shoulder strap and top carry handle

TOP STORAGE
e8y3enen

The padded back has a slot where I insert a small tarp to spread on wet ground and so I don't loose bits in the grass! The heli-pad launch board is made out of foamex cut to fit the laptop sleeve.

POCKET STORAGE
u6ehude2

The 2 pockets hold an accessories box (Poundland) and a battery in one and the RC Controller, strap and another battery. There is plenty of room in the foam inside for more batteries.

INSIDE LAYOUT
zahezu3e

I used 3 layers of cheap 2" cushion foam glued with spray glue (Poundland again). 18" x 13". I drew around the shape of the Phantom and cut with an electric kitchen knife. Slots were cut to take the sunshade of the Black Pearl so the screen sits flat on the foam. No struggling to fit the screen on site. I keep the TX antenna on with a cut-out at the side - its a bit bigger than most as I use a small home-made extension that gets the TX away from the belly. You can't see it but there is a small foam rectangle glued in the bottom of the centre well to stop the GoPro from swinging around. The prop box at the base of the backpack is again from, yes, you guessed it - Poundland.

THE FOAM CUTOUTS
a3yvu7en

There is plenty of room to go daft with the Electric knife to cut out lots more space below where the Black Pearl sits and at the sides for chargers, batteries etc. You could buy a thin foam piece to cover the whole top but I didn't find it necessary, this is more for transport rather than major protection.

BOTTOM INSIDE STORAGE
gebezamy

Even more room here for more Poundland boxes etc!

There you go...my 'work in progress' everyday transport solution! And no, I don't have shares in Poundland - I'm just stingy!

I would be off for fly - but its raining :( God bless Ireland.

Reactions: Jerprin
That sounds like a practical solution! I wish I knew where to find reasonably priced foam in California. Heaven knows that over the years I have tossed out lots of foam that came in packages, products, etc.

I like this type of solution because less expensive backpacks and cases, etc offer good value as long as they are sturdy, etc. More expensive items might draw unwanted attention.

I've been using a beer can cooler that cost me about US$20. See:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1795&start=210#p142293

Reactions: Jerprin
Thanks for taking time to make this post Irishsights. I'm off to poundland!

Its one if the few bits I didn't get in poundland lol. I got it from a local upholsterers. £3 a cushion square. Cheapest foam they had.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Looks great. Well done. I love DIY solutions :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT