In the Fray Now

Reaction score
I am an old RC flyer and have found that flying and crashing is not fun. Even the 'trainer' type can still get ahead of me. I fly '3 crashes high' but am still in a sweat when I get it on the ground. Enter the Phantom. Dang!! Let go of the sticks and it hovers. All the safety redundancy. Amazing!
After reading tons and watching more videos than I thought could be on the internet I talked to B&H yesterday, after reading the horror stories about DJI, I surrendered my CC to B&H and have reserved a 4 Pro +. They state they have a shipment due to arrive and after filling back orders they would have about 15 left. Now they'll only have 14 left.
This is truly a friendly helpful site. So a question for a newbie. I saw on the DJI go app that the batteries should be discharged to about 50% if they are not going to be used for awhile. I know all about Lipos from my RC background. I saw that you can set the amount of days you want to keep before the battery starts discharging itself in the app. Is that setting somehow transferred to a chip in the battery and even though the battery is not in a charger or connected to the controller will it start the discharge by itself or do you have to have it in the charger for that to happen?
I don't think the flying will be that tough. I have used an RC simulator with helicopters and other things and have a small inside the house quad. However, I am going to be starting at ground zero with the photography part of this whole thing. So another challenge.
Also getting Marco Polo. Rejoining AMA for the insurance and am in the process of registering my new bird.
Hello and safe flying!

Is that setting somehow transferred to a chip in the battery and even though the battery is not in a charger or connected to the controller will it start the discharge by itself or do you have to have it in the charger for that to happen?
By default, that setting is set to 10 days. If you'd like to modify that setting, you'll need to start up your Phantom with each battery installed and change the setting in DJI GO. The auto discharge process will only kick off after the set number of days if you do not press the battery button and/or charge it before that number of days has passed. It can take up to 2-3 days for that process to discharge the battery down to 65%.

Welcome! I just upgraded to the P4P+ 2 weeks ago, I love it! Just remember, read all you can and watch some of the better YouTube videos, by the time the bird gets here you will be in good shape.
And remember, msinger's Phantomhelp.com is the sole source for all the best Phantom information!

msinger you should change your sign in name to msingerPhD (Phantom doctor). I think you missed part of my question. Once set in the DJI app, no matter how many days one sets it for, does the process start with the battery, even if stored in case in a cool dry place, seperate from the bird, controller, and charger, or does it have to be physically connected to something? Thanks!

It will discharge on it's own. Good idea to check batteries before you leave the house to go fly...

does the process start with the battery, even if stored in case in a cool dry place, seperate from the bird, controller, and charger, or does it have to be physically connected to something?
Yes -- it will discharge anywhere.

Hi Jim, you are correct in assuming the batteries have a small micro controller that handles the discharge routine. It also manages the charging. DJI releases new firmware from time to time and usually the battery firmware will need updated too.

Hi Jim -- I'm a longtime e-RC guy making the same foray into drones you are.

I think I know where you're coming from. The Phantom battery isn't a normal RC Lipo. It seems to have the charge and discharge programming in the pack rather than the charger like you and I are used to. As a result it can decide when to discharge. The pack also has the on/off switch so you can safely leave it in the bird unlike our other electric RC models.

I'm totally with you: letting go of the sticks and thinking about things while the model hovers patiently is some kind of miracle.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT