In need of repair wisdom.

Reaction score
My P4 went berserk while returning home automatically and slammed a tree trunk. Lost 3 props, one prop attachment, cracked camera glass and cracked both fore arms. Now I'm mainly seeking advice on how to fix the cracks on the arms. Likely the fracture only wraps the bottom half of one of the arms and the other is more of a minor injury I am not that worried. Please refer to images. I'd love some feedback/advice! This is my first post too :)

Attachments

• IMG_20161213_175654.jpg
    IMG_20161213_175654.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 439
  • IMG_20161213_175703.jpg
    IMG_20161213_175703.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 450
  • IMG_20161213_175715.jpg
    IMG_20161213_175715.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 465
You'll need to replace the shell. Unfortunately, DJI does not sell black replacement shells. They should be able to replace it if you send it in to them for repair.

My P4 went berserk while returning home automatically and slammed a tree trunk. Lost 3 props, one prop attachment, cracked camera glass and cracked both fore arms. Now I'm mainly seeking advice on how to fix the cracks on the arms. Likely the fracture only wraps the bottom half of one of the arms and the other is more of a minor injury I am not that worried. Please refer to images. I'd love some feedback/advice! This is my first post too :)
how difficult was it to remove all the electronics, especially the sensors, to get get that paint job?

You'll need to replace the shell. Unfortunately, DJI does not sell black replacement shells. They should be able to replace it if you send it in to them for repair.
Thanks for getting back to me! I might not have a clue of what I'm saying but, can't I just super glue the thing? Is there a reason why I would have to replace the shell?

can't I just super glue the thing? Is there a reason why I would have to replace the shell?
You could try it, but it appears the arms on the lower half of the shell are cracked in half. If that was my Phantom, I'd definitely replace the shell before trying to fly it again.

Reactions: tml4191
Actually, a new complete shell costs only around $60. Once you remove the Landing Gear, the lower Camera/Gimbal Assembly and Motors from the Lower Shell Half, most everything else is attached to the Upper Shell Half. You still have a repairable P4. It would be a shame if a glued section were to break loose in flight and you completely lose your P4. Best of luck to you!!

Sent from my VS995 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Actually, a new complete shell costs only around $60. Once you remove the Landing Gear, the lower Camera/Gimbal Assembly and Motors from the Lower Shell Half, most everything else is attached to the Upper Shell Half. You still have a repairable P4. It would be a shame if a glued section were to break loose in flight and you completely lose your P4. Best of luck to you!!

What a gamble! How hard is it to put it together? I'm afraid I'll do something and it won't fly again. Also, I think the shells only come I white so idk about the look. Might look cool!

What a gamble! How hard is it to put it together? I'm afraid I'll do something and it won't fly again. Also, I think the shells only come I white so idk about the look. Might look cool!

Super gluing it will look way worse then then having a white shell. I wouldn't do it. You spent a lot of money on that bird, fix it right

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

There are a lot of YouTube P4 breakdowns out there showing quite a lot of details. Take a lot of digital photos as you disassemble it. For further disassembly and assembly iFixit.com has a great selection of screwdriver tips, quality tweezers, and spudgers used for fine prying of plastics. If you feel that the repair is more than you can do Dronefly.com has a $149 max labor charge plus parts. I've used that glue mentioned above and it is very strong but has to be applied to mating surfaces, not on top of a crack. Again, Good Luck!

Super gluing it will look way worse then then having a white shell. I wouldn't do it. You spent a lot of money on that bird, fix it right

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I'm flying down to South America in a week for a week and want to take my P4. What should I do? Rush a process I've never done or temporarily use superglue and fix upon return?

There are a lot of YouTube P4 breakdowns out there showing quite a lot of details. Take a lot of digital photos as you disassemble it. For further disassembly and assembly iFixit.com has a great selection of screwdriver tips, quality tweezers, and spudgers used for fine prying of plastics. If you feel that the repair is more than you can do Dronefly.com has a $149 max labor charge plus parts. I've used that glue mentioned above and it is very strong but has to be applied to mating surfaces, not on top of a crack. Again, Good Luck!

Thanks for the tips!

Thanks for the tips!

I just had my P4 shell repaired from DJI due to cracks, was super pleased with the process , it took 12 day from the time i called tech support to the time i was flying again. if it was due to a fault in the craft , DJI will warranty it for free. if its your fault they will charge you

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl