IMU Calibration correct?

Cliff's notes: Please become more educated on the actual performance capabilities of these Quads prior to giving out such erroneous information in the future.

I fly a P2V+ V3 and this couldn't be more incorrect given the pictures provided. Giving such "advice" does nothing but make this hobby more fearsome than it needs to be IMO.

Those power lines are insignificant given the ability of these quads.

As Oso mentioned, having a good, solid calibration within the given area, keeping the surrounding materials like steel reinforced concrete and structures in mind, will do MUCH more to prevent unwanted flight characteristics than worrying about such small power lines. You should see the power lines I fly around. Perhaps I should show you via video.

As long as you have a solid IMU calibration and then, a good on-the-ground compass calibration in a neutral environment, these power lines are of little concern except for the ability for one to fly into them.

I won't lie... there were a few times I felt the Phantom drifting away... slightly but then again P3 toggles feel much more sensitive than the P2 vision+ IMO.

I do know for sure there was a point where I was trying to bring the P3 back to the right and it just simply wouldn't respond for about 5-10 seconds. As I mentioned there was another drone up in the air that the photographer was flying (a P3 as well) so not sure if that caused any issues.

Prior to this flight I had a practice flight in a open field/park in my neighborhood approx. 20 miles or so from the wedding location.

You think it would have been smart to calibrate around all of these cars, power wires, buildings etc?

This is why I could never figure out whats right :/ Everyone has their own opinion.

I would usually calibrate prior to EVERY flight up until today @ the wedding. I decided to give it a try, let the IMU warm up and just take off. It actually felt kinda weird and unsafe but their theory on not calibrating every flight lowers the risk does make sense.

There definitely was some kind of interference because this is the first time I noticed "Compass error, please recalibrate" or something similar. I moved it maybe 10 feet and it disappeared.
Took it across the street and it kept dissapearing and reappearing every few seconds.
Not saying the power lines were definitely the cause but Ive had flights in similar neighborhoods before with buildings, cars etc minus the power lines.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4