IMPORTANT: DJI Go app 2.50/2.51 enables GEO functionality

Was it a full encrypt ITunes backup that gave you back 2.4.3?

I.
Just an ordinary backup. I simply deleted the GO app on the phone, connected to iTunes, clicked Install for the GO app, and synced. Since I hadn't done a backup since the auto-install of 2.5.0, my iTunes still had 2.4.3.
I have also been keeping the old versions of GO in a folder so I can go back to them if necessary. They appear in Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>Mobile Applications. Just copy the GO app to another folder. This only seems to work if you update your apps via iTunes on the computer. If you update them on the phone, the apps in the above folder don't get updated.

The last 3 updates of GO have all crashed when I first tried to use them. I deleted and re-installed them, then they would work.

Reactions: teeitup
Anyone have a link to a 2.4.3 apk file that I can side load to android?

If you are using Android open Google Play, go to Settings, & Disable Auto Update Apps. I seriously wish Google would let you specify this for INDIVIDUAL apps rather than a blanket all-or-nothing like it works now.

Note if you do this you'll need to occasionally open Google Play > My Apps & manually update your other apps one-by-one. Annoying but its the only way to prevent DJI Go from auto-updating.
IOS device, figured it out, thanks for your reply.

I'm staying 2.4.3 until I get a handle on what else is lurking in 2.5..
Why would anyone want to "upgrade" to 2.5.0 anyway.
There's nothing in the release notes that should be of any use or interest.
What's New
1. The Osmo now notifies users when switching between Upright, Underslung and Flashlight modes.
2. Lightbridge 2 plus the A2 support Home Lock, Course Lock and Point of Interest.
3. Brand new epic templates coming in five themes of Love, Travel, Companionship, Music and Change.
4. Look back on your 2015 flight log and share your memories with others. The "2016 I will..." campaign is now live!

Nothing there that looks like a compelling reason to update this time.
1&2 aren't for the Phantom and 3&4 aren't likely to be much use to most people.

However I aren't certain the app maker can't somehow over-ride that setting with 'good' reason or even disable what you have installed now to force you to update.
They are clearly aware the new geofencing is so deeply unpopular that anything to do with it must be installed by stealth.

That's all very well if you subscribe to the idea that evil DJI are constantly trying to take away all your flying freedom.
But that concept doesn't stand up to any reasoning. It just doesn't make any sense.
There's a concept called Hanlon's Razor that is much more likely to apply.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Now if you are interested in working out what DJI is really wanting to do it might pay to read some posts that Brendan Schulman (the DJI guy in charge of the GEO beta) made in answer to some pretty blunt comments about GEO over on DJI's own forum today.
Read down because he made several posts - not just one or two.
DJI Forum|Geofence

Just an ordinary backup. I simply deleted the GO app on the phone, connected to iTunes, clicked Install for the GO app, and synced. Since I hadn't done a backup since the auto-install of 2.5.0, my iTunes still had 2.4.3.
I have also been keeping the old versions of GO in a folder so I can go back to them if necessary. They appear in Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>Mobile Applications. Just copy the GO app to another folder. This only seems to work if you update your apps via iTunes on the computer. If you update them on the phone, the apps in the above folder don't get updated.

The last 3 updates of GO have all crashed when I first tried to use them. I deleted and re-installed them, then they would work.

Interesting. Thanks. I have a feeling with IOS 9 if you do not update your apps via computer using iTunes, the backup simply backs up a "thin-app" which is just a pointer to instruct the device to download the app again which of course will be the latest version published in the App Store.

Reactions: San Diego Jimmer
Excellent I didn't realize Google had added that option for individual apps. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

From here:

"If you want to control the behavior of all of the apps on your smartphone or tablet, head to the front page of the Play Store app, open up the main menu and tap Settings. Choose Auto-update apps from the menu and select Do not auto-update apps. Apps will now no longer install new versions without asking you first, and this applies to everything currently installed on your device.

If you want to single out one app in particular—maybe you've taken umbrage against its recent slew of new features—then you need to head into the individual app page on the Play Store, which you can do from theMy apps link on the menu or by running a search. Tap the menu button (three vertical dots) from the app's own page and you'll see an Auto-update option, which you can then disable."

I installed today and when I started it displays "Approaching No Fly Zone". I HAD NEVER SEEN THIS MESSAGE BEFORE.

DJI IS TOTALLY SILENT ABOUT THIS CHANGE ON DJI GO APP 2.5. WHY???????????

View attachment 40107

View attachment 40108

View attachment 40109

I don't see any place to fly now, I am trapped.

check DJI no fly zone site and it does not have all of these restrictions in your area, it concerns me that it was updated in the app and not on the site, I am ok with major airport no fly zones for the most part but if I got the site and see open area and find out they are closed in the app, that is a problem..

No FLY Zones | DJI

That's all very well if you subscribe to the idea that evil DJI are constantly trying to take away all your flying freedom.
But that concept doesn't stand up to any reasoning. It just doesn't make any sense.
There's a concept called Hanlon's Razor that is much more likely to apply.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Now if you are interested in working out what DJI is really wanting to do it might pay to read some posts that Brendan Schulman (the DJI guy in charge of the GEO beta) made in answer to some pretty blunt comments about GEO over on DJI's own forum today.
Read down because he made several posts - not just one or two.
DJI Forum|Geofence

I like this guy (Brendan Schulman), he comes across as genuine and really trying to balance a need to mitigate those operators that impact us all with their incidents while still causing the least amount of impact on the rest of us. Folks always call for industry to police itself rather than government, it appears this manufacture is at least trying to drive the solution in a direction that protects its customers (and yes that is in their financial best interests) while recognizing that there are calls from the public to ban these devices from in extreme cases entire towns....Its in a beta phase to work out the kinks, lets hope they work out most so it impacts us the least. But I believe if all the manufactures just sat back and did nothing we would be worse off, there are just too many folks getting these devices since the bar of price and learning has gotten so low that change will come whether we like it or not...just my opinion.

Speech by Brendan Schulman in this video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm using 1.7 Beta and now have upgraded to 2.5. Previously before this app update Yellow zones were very large around the Air Base and Airport as you can see they are now fixed and are properly red zones of the correct size.

Screenshot_2016-01-11-08-23-17.png

Yes I've had a look and all the big yellow ones (5miles) do seem to have gone. Am I fooling myself?

I will say the FAA app (beta) right now is a joke. If forced to use it, every city ive looked into requires some type of permission asking and/or CYA warning of not to fly.

Reactions: SergeantJoKer
Do you have 3rd party apps on that updated device? Litchi? Can you fly with the DJI app closed?

If I was a betting man I'd say they will be back.
Perhaps but DJI must realize if they do something that expansive it most certainly will hurt their business.

I updated the app this morning not knowing about all of this new ISH! Is there anyway to rollback on an iPhone?

I live and operate in the UK and inadvertently allowed my iPhone 6 + to download DJI Go 2.5. My iPad Air 2 remains on 2.4.3. It's strange but in the latest version both London airports - Heathrow and Gatwick are NOT marked as NFZs whereas they are in 2.4.3! Also the busy Bristol airport is no longer a NFZ. I am sure my fellow Brits will also see some funnies elsewhere in the UK.

I updated the app this morning not knowing about all of this new ISH! Is there anyway to rollback on an iPhone?
There is if you have DJI GO 2.4.3.ipa on your computer. On a PC it will be either in Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>Mobile Applications or in your Recycle Bin.
See post #41 above.

check DJI no fly zone site and it does not have all of these restrictions in your area, it concerns me that it was updated in the app and not on the site, I am ok with major airport no fly zones for the most part but if I got the site and see open area and find out they are closed in the app, that is a problem..

No FLY Zones | DJI
Remember, it's still in the BETA version. If you find errors, you should let DJI know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31