Imac 5k or wait for 8k?

Yes the only time I have heard the fan kick in on the 5K is when FCPX is rendering 4K footage in the background but running hot is different than overheating. If its within tolerances then let it run hot.

I have to admit the only thing I was nervous about was the AMD GPU as Apple had those GPU failures on the Macbook Pro with the AMD chipset. Apple eventually agreed to replace the GPU on those out of warranty but I did purchase a 3 year Apple Care on the 5K. Considering the money you drop on the 5K the Apple Care is a drop in the ocean. With that you have the insurance you need.

In terms of Adobe, I dropped from the full subscription down to the Photography subscription and use FCPX for video. I used Premier Pro for sometime so know the differences between the two. FCPX is pretty good.

my iMac mid 2010 nearly catches on fire when I'm editing and this is just with premiere pro being open. As far as overheating and running hot. There is a difference. But, as stated by hozzie. When your computer is running that hot almost too hot to touch, you then question the longevity of the product. (which in other words is overheating).

As far as switching to FCPX it won't happen for me as I become very accustomed to After Effects and I'm just getting my hands wet in Special effects. For me, Adobe is a must. I'm very sickened on their subscription base now.

Reactions: sawx75
My decade long rule I follow

"IF YOU ALWAYS WAIT FOR THE LATEST AND GREATEST, YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE NOTHING"

I agree. But, as I stated before were not talking about waiting a year or years. Were talking about waiting maybe 2-3 months tops? For me to drop $2,500 on the 5k only to find out the 8k iMac comes out in October will break my heart. lol

Drew, I think the problem you have is that I think if you really want to give yourself a few good years with it that you have to upgrade it significantly. I don't think the $2500 version is that great as it is spec'd out. That was my issue, by the time I got what I thought was a good setup for say 3 years, I was up above 4k.

Edit, I just priced it again to make sure and for a similar spec I am building it would be $3550. I will have a better processor, but for general purposes it is the best comparison.

Last edited:
my iMac mid 2010 nearly catches on fire when I'm editing and this is just with premiere pro being open. As far as overheating and running hot. There is a difference. But, as stated by hozzie. When your computer is running that hot almost too hot to touch, you then question the longevity of the product. (which in other words is overheating).

I'm not sure but you may have just contradicted yourself ;-) I know where you are trying to say, and all I can say is I have had the 5K since October and it doesn't overheat.

As far as switching to FCPX it won't happen for me as I become very accustomed to After Effects and I'm just getting my hands wet in Special effects. For me, Adobe is a must. I'm very sickened on their subscription base now.

If you use Premier Pro and After Effects you probably also use Lightroom and Photoshop so to be honest the monthly subscription is a bargain.

Good luck making your decision.

I'm not sure but you may have just contradicted yourself ;-) I know where you are trying to say, and all I can say is I have had the 5K since October and it doesn't overheat.

If you use Premier Pro and After Effects you probably also use Lightroom and Photoshop so to be honest the monthly subscription is a bargain.

Good luck making your decision.

lol no contradiction. I did state that my old iMac mid 2010 can edit videos. It does get really hot. It has lasted me for quite some time. My screen actually cuts out (black) for about 10 second then cuts back on at random moments so I believe my video card is going out. Overall, I can still edit on the 2010 iMac. It's just I know its time for an upgrade which is why I created this post and looking for input. As for Adobe products, I'm a type of guy who would be much happier paying $1,500 for the collection and not having to deal with $50 a month for the rest of my life. You never know when you will be in need of money it comes and goes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31