I'm so confused, FPV, real time flight data, video downlink

Re: I'm so confused, FPV, real time flight data, video downl

_r3_ said:
neil64 said:
Just put the iOSD module between the video-out from the camera, and the video-in to the FPV Tx.

You should be writing manuals or something. Perfectly simple instructions, homes. :p

Yes, thank you. ;) Really though, the video-out consists of 2 wires (commonly yellow and black[or brown]) and the video-in consists of two wires (commonly yellow and black[or brown]) and the iOSD module has conveniently labeled the pinout of wires, where you put the video-in (signal is yellow, ground is black or brown), and the video-out (signal is yellow, ground is black or brown). In all seriousness, if someone can't figure it out by looking at it after knowing that, then it would be a good idea for them to work on their problem solving skills, correct?

Alright, I got my system today.
Install was straight forward.
Did a quick night flight to get a first impression and to check if everything works.
There was not much light around so I kept it pretty close to me, distance maybe 60feet Max.
Everything works, flight data and video is transmitted to the screen, however, I did notice a lot of disruptions in the video transmittal.
There are permanently white lines running thru the screen, it's not that bad, I still could see what's going on but I'm quite sure that this is not the way it's supposed to be....

The antenna of the receiver is pointing straight down to the ground, the antennas of the receiver pointing straight up in the sky. I've read that this is the proper direction for the antennas.

I did run the test on channel 32 which is the default channel, I'll try different channels tomorrow to See if that's going to change anything.

I attach a few crappy IPad pictures so that you see what I did, maybe you notice something wrong.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391575658.561184.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391575658.561184.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 417
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391575681.048087.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391575681.048087.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 392
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391575693.927518.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391575693.927518.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 405

Bigger photos.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391575742.911968.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391575742.911968.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 399
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391575768.848506.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391575768.848506.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 420
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391575785.479526.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391575785.479526.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 437

Congrats on getting it going!

Different channels do seem to make a difference. You'll need to try a few. Mine came up on channel 42 and I left it on that. Another person uses channel 31 so I tried it and the noise was pretty bad. In any case, the FPV will not be crystal clear all the time - I haven't seen a recording that was rock steady.

My biggest problem right now is the cold and snow. Got a fresh batch last night and it is about 3 degrees F this morning. Once we get past this (maybe another 3 weeks of cold), I can sneak out between rainstorms.

You going to add iOSD?

Miniflexalex, where did you mount the iOSD? I dont see it in the photos...

ladykate said:
Congrats on getting it going!

Different channels do seem to make a difference. You'll need to try a few. Mine came up on channel 42 and I left it on that. Another person uses channel 31 so I tried it and the noise was pretty bad. In any case, the FPV will not be crystal clear all the time - I haven't seen a recording that was rock steady.

My biggest problem right now is the cold and snow. Got a fresh batch last night and it is about 3 degrees F this morning. Once we get past this (maybe another 3 weeks of cold), I can sneak out between rainstorms.

You going to add iOSD?
Yeah, I'm happy that everything arrived since the postal service down here in Mexico is spotty at times and of course, I'm happy that the install was a breeze.
Ok, I'm going to zip thru the channels to find the strongest one.
I did see quite a few vids on YT showing different monitors during flight and it seems like that they all have a bit if flickering but nowhere near as much as I'm currently getting.
I'm sure it's an easy fix, just need to find the root cause to fix it :)

Brrrr, 3 degree is cold, how can you even move the sticks once your thumbs are frozen :)

IOSD is installed

bernardb said:
Miniflexalex, where did you mount the iOSD? I dont see it in the photos...

I put the IOSD stuff inside the phantom, I also moved the can-bus plug inside as well.
I think it looks much cleaner like that.

ah, good job, much neater...I have to to that today maybe since I am snowed in!

bernardb said:
ah, good job, much neater...I have to to that today maybe since I am snowed in!

Good luck with the install.
There is an empty spot on the main board just big enough to fit the iOSD on it. I used 3M tape to stick it to the board and another piece of 3M tape to stick the can-bus connector on top of the iOSD....looks neat and Works fust fine.

Now I just need to figure out how to turn off the info's sent from the GoPro. I have now the iOSD datas, GoPro datas and signal strength of the FPV system showing on the monitor....too much stuff, some of those infos are on top of each other makes it hard to read.

Miniflexalex said:
Now I just need to figure out how to turn off the info's sent from the GoPro. I have now the iOSD datas, GoPro datas and signal strength of the FPV system showing on the monitor....too much stuff, some of those infos are on top of each other makes it hard to read.

On the GoPro, go to tools/setup/osd and turn it off. Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSN8zHA1stQ

ladykate said:
Miniflexalex said:

On the GoPro, go to tools/setup/osd and turn it off. Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSN8zHA1stQ

Great, thanks for the link.
I'll try it tonight once back from work.

ladykate said:
Miniflexalex said:

Worked like a charm, thanks again for the tip.

Does anyone have pictures on how to hook up the iPad station...

ladykate said:
I did a test flight with it then downloaded the iOSD assistant and upgraded it. That gave me a couple of upgrades that we normally see - azimuth and battery percentage. I also brought the data into the screen a little (an option on the assistant). It all seemed to work fine. I believe the GoPro stuff can be turned off in the GoPro. Just haven't looked at that. I'm not sure I need the GoPro data but I DID screw up and fumble the GoPro once - locked it into single shot mode by accident. I think the screen would warn me. Or... I could just get better at watching what I'm doing. ;-}

The test flight was kinda neat. I flew it up in my neighborhood - lots of trees - and then took it East over the limbs and out-of-sight (barely but still... it was out of sight!). I then used the screen (it was on a tripod - which sucks btw) to orient the aircraft and bring it back.

I'm getting a cheap DVR to record the video. $29 on eBay. Don't need much. Got a bracket for the monitor so I can attach it to the transmitter.

Why a dvr? Won't the video be recorded on the gopro?

Sledge said:
Why a dvr? Won't the video be recorded on the gopro?

A DVR will record the video from the GoPro plus the IOSD data. The GoPro will only record the scene your videoing. This way if something happens during the flight you have a record of it (which you would not have if you don't recover your Phantom/Camera). The info might help you find your lost bird, or give you some idea what went wrong so you don't repeat the incident.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl