I'm so confused, FPV, real time flight data, video downlink

Re: I'm so confused, FPV, real time flight data, video downl

ladykate said:
Miniflexalex said:
yeah, the description is lacking detail.
It also does not say anything about a charger for the internal battery.

I hope for the best but prepare for the worst....

Worst case is I'll hook up an external charger. I read the description and it said it needed 12 volts in. I can cobble something up for that. For the bracket, I may just put it on a tripod anyway... but it would be nice to have a bracket. The picture shows a bracket but the contents doesn't say.

I ended up buying the clone transmitter (TS806). I based that on my conversation with Le -- who answered the phone. English is his second language but he seemed to know what he was talking about. We'll see!

I was considering buying a whole airframe with all the stuff pre-wired but no one had any in stock - the OSD was backordered for those who offer packages. The world conspired to save me money. That doesn't happen very often.

I just exchanged some emails with Le, he said I should buy the same transmitter as you are getting. The Immersion will not work with the Monitor on my shopping list.

Miniflexalex said:
I just exchanged some emails with Le, he said I should buy the same transmitter as you are getting. The Immersion will not work with the Monitor on my shopping list.

Have you received it as yet? I was about ready to spring for a monitor that wouldn't work with the immersionrc, too. Glad I called him. Hope the thing works well.

ladykate said:
Miniflexalex said:

Have you received it as yet? I was about ready to spring for a monitor that wouldn't work with the immersionrc, too. Glad I called him. Hope the thing works well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No, I just ordered it today. Should have it in a few days.

re: Just ordered it today

We are in this together. I'll post back after I figure it out... IF I figure it out. ;-}

ladykate said:
re: Just ordered it today

We are in this together. I'll post back after I figure it out... IF I figure it out. ;-}

Yeah :) let's hope it all turns out good.
I'll report as well but I'm sure you'll get yours earlier since I'm currently live in Mexico.
Can't wait to get your feedback on how the combo performs.

Good luck to both of us :)

Miniflexalex said:

Got the package today. I opened the monitor first. No bracket to hook to the transmitter. No charger. Went to Radio Shack and bought a 12 volt wall wart charger and a 3.4mm plug (tip H in Radio Shack speak). $21 total. It is currently charging the monitor. I'll look up some assembly videos today and get a signal going if I can.

ladykate said:
Miniflexalex said:

Got the package today. I opened the monitor first. No bracket to hook to the transmitter. No charger. Went to Radio Shack and bought a 12 volt wall wart charger and a 3.4mm plug (tip H in Radio Shack speak). $21 total. It is currently charging the monitor. I'll look up some assembly videos today and get a signal going if I can.

Good News that you got the package that quick.
$21 for a charger is not that bad.
Can't wait for your initial review of the system.

I should receive mine next Monday or Tuesday.

Keep my fingers crossed that everything works together on your (and my) setup.

Going to need to make a cable for the GoPro or buy one. Ebay has them. Need a power supply for the onboard transmitter. Seems like many are using a 2S battery.

It is far from plug and play at this stage - although I can see how it is supposed to work (at least for the video).

ladykate said:
Going to need to make a cable for the GoPro or buy one. Ebay has them. Need a power supply for the onboard transmitter. Seems like many are using a 2S battery.

It is far from plug and play at this stage - although I can see how it is supposed to work (at least for the video).

I was under the impression that if the Phantom is equipped with the H3-D2 gimbal, you don't need a cable for the GoPro, also the power for the transmitter should be already present. It comes out from the same leg as the 8pin cable for the gimbal.

Miniflexalex said:
I was under the impression that if the Phantom is equipped with the H3-D2 gimbal, you don't need a cable for the GoPro, also the power for the transmitter should be already present. It comes out from the same leg as the 8pin cable for the gimbal.

Yes - I was looking at the power for my transmitter (written in microlettering on the back of the box - no other instructions) and was thinking it would need an external supply as shown in many videos. However, the maximum voltage is over what the P2 would supply so I can tap from the airplane. I'm slowly figuring this out!

I've looked at a dozen videos and they all take the video from the camera. I searched again for other specific videos and couldn't find anything of help (but did get a headache). Then, in desperation, I read the manual (http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-2-downloads/). It shows a wiring diagram with hookups. :oops: :oops:

If I read this right, I should be able to hook everything up without cracking the shell. Tomorrow, I have a project.

ladykate said:
Miniflexalex said:

Yes - I was looking at the power for my transmitter (written in microlettering on the back of the box - no other instructions) and was thinking it would need an external supply as shown in many videos. However, the maximum voltage is over what the P2 would supply so I can tap from the airplane. I'm slowly figuring this out!

I've looked at a dozen videos and they all take the video from the camera. I searched again for other specific videos and couldn't find anything of help (but did get a headache). Then, in desperation, I read the manual (http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-2-downloads/). It shows a wiring diagram with hookups. :oops: :oops:

If I read this right, I should be able to hook everything up without cracking the shell. Tomorrow, I have a project.

Hm, I've seen lots of videos in which the installers did not use a cable to the camera (in conjunction with the H3-D2 gimbal).
The gimbal is a pretty fragile device, if it would have to drag a cable around while keeping the camera horizontal would put much more strain on the little motors, bearings, joints etc.

I found this video pretty helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv7..._gdata - Video Tube for YouTube - iPhone/iPad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv7pE_s ... tube_gdata - Video Tube for YouTube - iPhone/iPad

:-( no idea why the link does not show up.....how do I link a YouTube video with tapatalk HD????

That video is great. It confirms what I had deduced from the wiring diagram. Thanks.

Whelp... after worrying about this for a few days and trying to learn all I could. I stared at the pieces this morning and decided to snip the wires and get going. An hour later it was done and running. Page 6 of the user's manual is all that is needed as a guide. Extras for the stuff sent by RCdepot would be a charger for the 7" receiver/screen, a mount for the screen if you want to hold it with the transmitter, and normal bits (soldering ability, Velcro, shrink tube).

osdFPV-firsttest-small.jpg

ladykate said:
Whelp... after worrying about this for a few days and trying to learn all I could. I stared at the pieces this morning and decided to snip the wires and get going. An hour later it was done and running. Page 6 of the user's manual is all that is needed as a guide. Extras for the stuff sent by RCdepot would be a charger for the 7" receiver/screen, a mount for the screen if you want to hold it with the transmitter, and normal bits (soldering ability, Velcro, shrink tube).

osdFPV-firsttest-small.jpg

Congratulations on putting everything together.
It seems like that you also see informations about the GoPro, I did not know that this was also transmitted to the screen.
Did you also installed the IOSD mini? Can't see the Phantom informations on the screen.

Looking at the pictures again, I now can see the pitch, roll etc. I guess I just overlooked it since it does not show any numbers.

What impression do you have in terms of quality of the system?
Did you already put it thru it's first test flight?

I did a test flight with it then downloaded the iOSD assistant and upgraded it. That gave me a couple of upgrades that we normally see - azimuth and battery percentage. I also brought the data into the screen a little (an option on the assistant). It all seemed to work fine. I believe the GoPro stuff can be turned off in the GoPro. Just haven't looked at that. I'm not sure I need the GoPro data but I DID screw up and fumble the GoPro once - locked it into single shot mode by accident. I think the screen would warn me. Or... I could just get better at watching what I'm doing. ;-}

The test flight was kinda neat. I flew it up in my neighborhood - lots of trees - and then took it East over the limbs and out-of-sight (barely but still... it was out of sight!). I then used the screen (it was on a tripod - which sucks btw) to orient the aircraft and bring it back.

I'm getting a cheap DVR to record the video. $29 on eBay. Don't need much. Got a bracket for the monitor so I can attach it to the transmitter.

ladykate said:
I did a test flight with it then downloaded the iOSD assistant and upgraded it. That gave me a couple of upgrades that we normally see - azimuth and battery percentage. I also brought the data into the screen a little (an option on the assistant). It all seemed to work fine. I believe the GoPro stuff can be turned off in the GoPro. Just haven't looked at that. I'm not sure I need the GoPro data but I DID screw up and fumble the GoPro once - locked it into single shot mode by accident. I think the screen would warn me. Or... I could just get better at watching what I'm doing. ;-}

The test flight was kinda neat. I flew it up in my neighborhood - lots of trees - and then took it East over the limbs and out-of-sight (barely but still... it was out of sight!). I then used the screen (it was on a tripod - which sucks btw) to orient the aircraft and bring it back.

I'm getting a cheap DVR to record the video. $29 on eBay. Don't need much. Got a bracket for the monitor so I can attach it to the transmitter.

That's very good to hear that the system does what it's supposed to do.
I will report back next week once I installed mine.

The DVR is a good idea, I gotta look into it as well.

neil64 said:
Just put the iOSD module between the video-out from the camera, and the video-in to the FPV Tx.

You should be writing manuals or something. Perfectly simple instructions, homes. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31