I'm not Flying for a while due to Hostile Drone Press

It sure sounds like that is exactly what happened. That of course now sets a precedent for future cases of a similar nature. Just what we need, huh?

Somewhat. The drone owner is asking the prosecutor to appeal the verdict. Also, bad law is still bad law and another court would probably see this for what it is.

Reactions: Meta4 and Oso
Think about the range a gun has when shooting up. Shotguns with #4 shot have +/-100 yards. Any other gun and the bullet will travel 1-2 miles. Shooting a drone down is reckless and the prospects of actually hitting the target are slim.

I agree. A property owner "Owns" the airspace above their property from zero to 83 feet. From 83 ft to 500ft is for the hobbiest. From what I found maintaining an altitude above 83 ft over someone's property IS considered legal according to the FAA.

Interesting. Do you have link to this?

Please allow me to help you help yourself and the flying community...take time to discuss these devices with people while you show it off. Don't even need it to leave the ground to do great good. Trust me, I know.

I can go to a park, open my backpack and set everything down and go through my checklists and you would be amazed at the public reaction. AT first it is almost always either "COOL!" or "I'll shoot them out of the sky"...that is until you start to show them how it operates and what it can and cannot do. The last comment I ALWAYS hear when they depart is..."Where can I buy one?".

I am telling you that when you try to fly in a vacuum so to speak, that is when trouble seems to show up. I explain what I am doing and why and how the aircraft operates. We can win this but it takes everyone educating the unwashed.

I even had a farmer who owns a huge farm tell me he would "shoot the **** thing out of the sky if he saw it flying", that is until I told him I've been flying over his farm for a while now and I showed him my footage. He now has me consulting him on how to proceed with an agricultural flight program at his property.

You're lucky that you can even fly at a park. All drone/UAVs are banned in the City of Los Angeles where you risk having your drone "impounded" with up to $1000 in fines and 6 months in jail. Yup... they're cracking down hard. The funny thing is that the park law is an old, old law that was relating to model airplanes and not quads. Either way it still stands "as is" when it relates to quads.

Whether there's one prop or four (six, eight), r/c aircraft are dangerous.

Quads are not safer and do not demand special consideration.

Many m/r pilots lack experience with such craft and is a major component in the problems we're seeing with their irresponsible use.

Reactions: GoodnNuff and eBird
Whether there's one prop or four (six, eight), r/c aircraft are dangerous.

Quads are not safer and do not demand special consideration.

Many m/r pilots lack experience with such craft and is a major component in the problems we're seeing with their irresponsible use.

I agree and somewhat disagree but you're right about quads not having to demand special consideration.

You're lucky that you can even fly at a park. All drone/UAVs are banned in the City of Los Angeles where you risk having your drone "impounded" with up to $1000 in fines and 6 months in jail. Yup... they're cracking down hard. The funny thing is that the park law is an old, old law that was relating to model airplanes and not quads. Either way it still stands "as is" when it relates to quads.
So where can you fly in LA?

Getting back to the original topic, I just want to know who told the hunters in the south drones taste good? Be very, very quiet....I'm hunting drones. (Elmer Fudd).

You mean you're hunting "dwones" LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: copata2d and Reed L
So where can you fly in LA?

Well the little-know park regulation, LAMC 63.44 (b) (8) states the following:

"Within the limits of any park or other City-owned Harbor Department designated and controlled property within the City of Los Angeles: No person shall land, release, take off or fly any balloon, except children toy balloons not inflated with any flammable material, helicopter, parakite, hang glider, aircraft or powered models thereof, except in areas specifically set aside therefore."

So I'm assuming you can fly "anywhere" except parks or other designated areas. It's our responsibility to find out if it's legal to fly regardless if there are any postings or not.

A tempting target for sniper practice
Shooting a rifle into the air would be reckless endangerment in most places. Even in Texas. A shotgun with pellets would (likely) be OK, a shotgun with a slug (deer hunting), not so much.

......fly a banner behind it stating you were a deer locating service and to call phone number for more information. By the time they save enough money to buy a phone you will be long gone.

Seriously, here on the east coast, shotgun deer season opened on Friday. Luckily it's been raining too much to take mine back out but I will. Just not over miles of woods which is boring to see at 200 ft anyway.

...seriously get to know some land owners and help them spot where deer and game travel. Once they think your there to help put food on their table and not take pictures of their one tooth daughter, they may look out for you.

Ever since the "Drone Slayer" in Kentucky became a national hero for saving his daughters from a spying Phantom (at 275 ft)...

abouth a month ago i went to chicago, without my drone :(, but i took about 200 photos like the one im attaching. i like taking pictures of people when they have no idea im doing it. all the pictures were shot at least at 275 ft with a 70-300 lens. i have like 200 pics or more... so i was wondering if anyone want some of those pictures and use them to promote that you cant spy with a crappy phantom/gopro camera at 150 ft, but you can do it with a canon/nikon camera at 300-350 ft.

905561_10153327805789022_5181190741447799417_o.jpg

11222654_10153327806109022_6238334863345961255_o.jpg

I've been researching local laws around my area so I don't end up with some hassle for flying. So far, based on some of the posts on this thread, I'm pretty lucky. I can't find any local laws in my city that prohibits UAVs nor can I find any state laws (there was one proposed prohibiting law enforcement from using them but it didn't pass) that prohibit them. I've looked at the state parks web site and I don't see anything against them there either, but I'm sure it would still be better to ask first anyway.

Reactions: Ariel@Hivemapper

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik