I'm not Flying for a while due to Hostile Drone Press

Reaction score
OK, most of you don't live in the southern USA. You might not understand my reasoning. Ever since the "Drone Slayer" in Kentucky became a national hero for saving his daughters from a spying Phantom (at 275 ft)... everyone I've talked to is in favor of downing a drone if you see one near your house. This is a pan-political spectrum belief. People in the south have arsenals in their homes. A southern pacifist is someone with less than 5 guns. It's just now hunting season and all the "Bubbas, Dwaynes and Cliffords" have their guns in top order - and have plenty of ammo. Just imagine you spent 3 days out in a cold and wet deer blind and didn't get a buck. Then you see one of those dam spying drones over yonder. Get that thang! Yee-Haw! I'm waiting till season is over and the media hype against drones goes away.... before I risk $1200 in a small southern town's sky.

The season may end but the media hype never will, nor will some people's opinions and actions. Choose your flying spots wisely. Good luck.

OK, most of you don't live in the southern USA. You might not understand my reasoning. Ever since the "Drone Slayer" in Kentucky became a national hero for saving his daughters from a spying Phantom (at 275 ft)... everyone I've talked to is in favor of downing a drone if you see one near your house. This is a pan-political spectrum belief. People in the south have arsenals in their homes. A southern pacifist is someone with less than 5 guns. It's just now hunting season and all the "Bubbas, Dwaynes and Cliffords" have their guns in top order - and have plenty of ammo. Just imagine you spent 3 days out in a cold and wet deer blind and didn't get a buck. Then you see one of those dam spying drones over yonder. Get that thang! Yee-Haw! I'm waiting till season is over and the media hype against drones goes away.... before I risk $1200 in a small southern town's sky.
I understand your point and it must suck big time. I hope you dont mind me saying that your post was sort of funny as well.

Question. How the heck was the drone slayer guy found not guilty?

I understand your point and it must suck big time. I hope you dont mind me saying that your post was sort of funny as well.

Question. How the heck was the drone slayer guy found not guilty?
I agree. A property owner "Owns" the airspace above their property from zero to 83 feet. From 83 ft to 500ft is for the hobbiest. From what I found maintaining an altitude above 83 ft over someone's property IS considered legal according to the FAA.

Reactions: schroeder1959
Same here... I live smack in the middle of hunting grounds.... gunshots ring out around here 7 days a week, even though Sundays "should" be no hunting days... there is plenty of anonymity out there in the cover... I would never know who shot down my drone... I did contact all of my neighbors/farmers/friends within 1.5 miles and let them know that if they see a white drone fly by overhead... do NOT shot it.. it's MINE :) everyone responded favorably... now IF they didn't know it was mine? It wouldn't last the flight... let alone the night... they shoot everything! Makes no difference that it would be a felony to shoot one out of the sky. IF I see orange clothing down below... I zip to 390' and bring it home asap...

Because an idiot judge decided to put her personal feelings above the law. Pure and simple.
It sure sounds like that is exactly what happened. That of course now sets a precedent for future cases of a similar nature. Just what we need, huh?

in california, the governor vetoed the drone privacy act which would have made it illegal to fly between 1-350 feet over private property. in so doing, he basically said that doing just that is currently a legal activity.

Please allow me to help you help yourself and the flying community...take time to discuss these devices with people while you show it off. Don't even need it to leave the ground to do great good. Trust me, I know.

I can go to a park, open my backpack and set everything down and go through my checklists and you would be amazed at the public reaction. AT first it is almost always either "COOL!" or "I'll shoot them out of the sky"...that is until you start to show them how it operates and what it can and cannot do. The last comment I ALWAYS hear when they depart is..."Where can I buy one?".

I am telling you that when you try to fly in a vacuum so to speak, that is when trouble seems to show up. I explain what I am doing and why and how the aircraft operates. We can win this but it takes everyone educating the unwashed.

I even had a farmer who owns a huge farm tell me he would "shoot the **** thing out of the sky if he saw it flying", that is until I told him I've been flying over his farm for a while now and I showed him my footage. He now has me consulting him on how to proceed with an agricultural flight program at his property.

Please allow me to help you help yourself and the flying community...take time to discuss these devices with people while you show it off. Don't even need it to leave the ground to do great good. Trust me, I know.

I can go to a park, open my backpack and set everything down and go through my checklists and you would be amazed at the public reaction. AT first it is almost always either "COOL!" or "I'll shoot them out of the sky"...that is until you start to show them how it operates and what it can and cannot do. The last comment I ALWAYS hear when they depart is..."Where can I buy one?".

I am telling you that when you try to fly in a vacuum so to speak, that is when trouble seems to show up. I explain what I am doing and why and how the aircraft operates. We can win this but it takes everyone educating the unwashed.

I even had a farmer who owns a huge farm tell me he would "shoot the **** thing out of the sky if he saw it flying", that is until I told him I've been flying over his farm for a while now and I showed him my footage. He now has me consulting him on how to proceed with an agricultural flight program at his property.
I agree, in my opinion most of the anti-drone mentality is due to ignorance and misinformation.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I agree. A property owner "Owns" the airspace above their property from zero to 83 feet. From 83 ft to 500ft is for the hobbiest. From what I found maintaining an altitude above 83 ft over someone's property IS considered legal according to the FAA.
Where do people get these silly numbers? The SCOTUS decision in Causby did not establish the lower level of navigable airspace. The decision said, in part: "The landowner owns at least as much of the space above the ground as the can occupy or use in connection with the land.".

The 83 feet was only a passing mention for illustration: "The Court holds today that the Government has 'taken' respondents' property by repeatedly flying Army bombers directly above respondents' land at a height of eighty-three feet where the light and noise from these planes caused respondents to lose sleep and their chickens to be killed."

There is a big case coming up that was mentioned here a few weeks ago in SkyPan International. SkyPan's defense to my non-lawyers perception is a losing proposition. On their website they contend that navigable airspace begins at 500 ft.

"SkyPan operates only in privately owned air space over the private property of its clients. Never flying over people or public spaces, SkyPan always maintains straight up/straight down flights with fulltime altimeter monitoring and complete aircraft control. SkyPan never operates higher than surrounding structures and never penetrates the navigable US airspace as defined by the FAA."
SkyPan’s legal arguments will include an argument that the FAA lacks authority to regulate sUAS below the navigable airspace. SkyPan is making the same assumption that cities make when they think they can write local rules restricting flight. They believe that the definition of navigable airspace is fixed and immovable by misreading 14 CFR§1.1 - General definitions: "Navigable airspace means airspace at and above the minimum flight altitudes prescribed by or under this chapter, including airspace needed for safe takeoff and landing." But, this section is general specifications, not definitions; and the first line says: "unless the context requires otherwise". Helicopters and "weight shift aircraft" (Part 103 Ultralights) are clearly a context that fits the "otherwise". I have no doubt that the NTSB will say that sUAS are operating in navigable airspace when below 500 ft.
According to the FAA, there is no such thing as privately owned airspace in the sense SkyPan is intending here. If SkyPan takes the issue to court a potential ruling could clarify who owns the airspace over private property.

A lose for SkyPan is a win for us in that it will make a clear definition that the FAA controls flight below 500 ft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suspended Moments
You will love drones if you catch them live. Dead drones smell foul.

[
Getting back to the original topic, I just want to know who told the hunters in the south drones taste good? Be very, very quiet....I'm hunting drones. (Elmer Fudd).
Welcome to the forum copata

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20