If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 READ!

Re: If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 R

gbello23 said:
rdc4444 said:
gbello23 said:
From what I've read they won't replace them unless something actually happened. I'm curious to know what he told them as well.

Very disappointed on how they are treating this issue.

Thanks saved me the time and effort contacting them. I guess I'm going to fly the umarked esc phantom more often than the one that I have that has the 2.1 esc and see if it fails or give me any problems...
Again just my observations... But It seems these issues are only present when the motors come to a forced stop.

Interesting I know I tipped my unmarked esc phantom on the 3rd or 4th flight while attempting to land and two of the motors that contacted the ground kept spinning (or trying too) for a few seconds until I was able to turn it off. I plan on flying more often with faster and sharper turns with my unmarked esc phantom and taking a look at the esc's and wires every twenty flights to check for any signs of damage.

Good plan that will helps us all. Thanks for that. Please keep us posted.

rdc4444 said:
gbello23 said:
From what I've read they won't replace them unless something actually happened. I'm curious to know what he told them as well.

Thanks saved me the time and effort contacting them. I guess I'm going to fly the umarked esc phantom more often than the one that I have that has the 2.1 esc and see if it fails or give me any problems...

I have been jumping between the dji forum and this one about the esc issue and i came across this post. It appears dji will accept a warranty return based on incorrect esc. Ive included a link to the entire discussion at the very bottom. Really not sure what to do now but may try contacting dji about the issue.

Sent to B&H 1/15/2015

Sir or Ma'am,

It has come to my attention that my DJI Phantom 2 Vision + V3.0 which I purchased via order number ****** may have incorrect parts installed, and could crash or stop working. This part is the Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) for which there is one for each motor for a total of 4. There is much traffic regarding this issue on the internet, and I would appreciate contact from a Phantom "expert" with B&H. DJI directs all customer service to the dealer from which purchased .

From B&H 1/16/2015:

"Thank you for contacting the E-Mail Sales Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio. There has been quite a bit of confusion with the ESC v2.0 and the V2.1 editions. The Version 2.0 is compatible with the motors both 2212 and 2312 which are the old and new versions of the motors. The gauge of the wiring is thinner on the V2.0 which in some cases can cause problems with continuous flying. Meaning that when you have two or three batteries charged and are flying your Phantom for longer then 20 minutes you should allow the Phantom itself to cool down when you change the battery. If the unit is pushed to long the wires solder contacts will over heat leading to the problems like irregular flights or worse, crashes.
If you are using the V2.1 ESCs then the unit does not have this issue and will have thicker gauge wires so you can fly for as long as you have charged batteries.
I do always advise taking breaks and checking the Phantom to make sure all internal components are functioning and that there is not physical damage to the unit. It is also a great way to check your images to make sure your lighting and angles are they way you would like too.
Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Thank you for choosing B&H."

To DJI 1/15/2015
Phantom 2 Vision + V3.0, Serial # PH64539****.

Being a member of the DJI Phantom 2 forum, I have been aware that some problems with Electronic Speed Controllers (ESC's) for the Phantoms has been occuring, and that some Vision + V3.0 do not have the correct ESC's installed for the V3.0 motors, and are going bad. The ESC's in my Phantom have no Version number on the bar code stickers, where apparently the correct and updated ESC's have Version 2.0 or 2.1 printed on them. I can provide a picture if desired.

I have been advised by others who have done so, to contact DJI in regard to this. I have contacted B&H via email, though with no response to date.

Could you please clarify this for me, or confirm that my aircraft has the correct ESC's installed. I have been told that DJI can verify this by means of the serial number.

Thank you,

From DJI 1/19/2015:

"Thank you for contacting DJI.

The issues that you're describing require for you to send in your unit for repair.

In order to be issued an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number, we encourage you to call our support staff via phone to discuss your options.

You may contact us Monday-Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm PST at 818-235-0789.

Thank you for choosing DJI,
"The Future of Possible!”

DJI Customer Service North America"

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=view ... QUVlSjg%3D

Just got back from a 3 battery flight. I purchased a new Vison V3 mid November from Canada Drones, In Ontario. I have not taken the top off to check the versions of the ESC's but my serial # is 645440*** . I have taken it out 10 times with no problems...well once it wrapped up in a bush and tumbled 3 meters to cement, battery popped out, but flew fine after. Today I flew the drone very hard...full speed ahead and slam it back into reverse, hard S turns and tight circles. Tried out Course Lock, and Home Lock ( great feature) .after the battery warning came on, I landed it, swapped out a fresh a battery and back into the air. I put a solid 30 minutes of flight in, and flew it as fast and as hard as my newbie skills would allow<: After the final landing, the motors were a bit warm, but nothing to be concerned with. No burnt smell, and no crash into the ocean! SO....would you all be comfortable in thinking if that didn't crash it, it probably is ok? I mean if what i put it through today, and it survived, it should survive anything else? I mean if the ESC's were to fail, or the wires melted, it should have happened today? The weather was hot today, 32 c, and had a 20k wind.

SSR99 said:
Just got back from a 3 battery flight. I purchased a new Vison V3 mid November from Canada Drones, In Ontario. I have not taken the top off to check the versions of the ESC's but my serial # is 645440*** . I have taken it out 10 times with no problems...well once it wrapped up in a bush and tumbled 3 meters to cement, battery popped out, but flew fine after. Today I flew the drone very hard...full speed ahead and slam it back into reverse, hard S turns and tight circles. Tried out Course Lock, and Home Lock ( great feature) .after the battery warning came on, I landed it, swapped out a fresh a battery and back into the air. I put a solid 30 minutes of flight in, and flew it as fast and as hard as my newbie skills would allow<: After the final landing, the motors were a bit warm, but nothing to be concerned with. No burnt smell, and no crash into the ocean! SO....would you all be comfortable in thinking if that didn't crash it, it probably is ok? I mean if what i put it through today, and it survived, it should survive anything else? I mean if the ESC's were to fail, or the wires melted, it should have happened today? The weather was hot today, 32 c, and had a 20k wind.

It really isnt difficult to romove the top and take a look inside.. I will say my unmarked esc phantom is serial #645396*** while my 2.1 esc phantom is #645470***. It would be good to take a look inside after running it hard not only for the esc type but also for any signs of esc/wire melting and heat damage. Its just too cold where i am at to really torture test it for heat damage. It may have survived for now but you really wouldnt know if something was slowly occurring unless you took a peek inside.

I removed the 4 tiny ( 2mm?) screws at the front of the motors, the 8 screws behind the motors, but is there 4 more screws to remove that are beside the landing gear?

one small phillips head in front of the motor, 2 hex heads directly behind the motor, and one more hex head on the center of the arm, back towards the body.
Lots of pictures and youtube videos about it.

rdc4444 said:
rdc4444 said:
gbello23 said:

I have been jumping between the dji forum and this one about the esc issue and i came across this post. It appears dji will accept a warranty return based on incorrect esc. Ive included a link to the entire discussion at the very bottom. Really not sure what to do now but may try contacting dji about the issue.

Sent to B&H 1/15/2015

Sir or Ma'am,

It has come to my attention that my DJI Phantom 2 Vision + V3.0 which I purchased via order number ****** may have incorrect parts installed, and could crash or stop working. This part is the Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) for which there is one for each motor for a total of 4. There is much traffic regarding this issue on the internet, and I would appreciate contact from a Phantom "expert" with B&H. DJI directs all customer service to the dealer from which purchased .

From B&H 1/16/2015:

"Thank you for contacting the E-Mail Sales Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio. There has been quite a bit of confusion with the ESC v2.0 and the V2.1 editions. The Version 2.0 is compatible with the motors both 2212 and 2312 which are the old and new versions of the motors. The gauge of the wiring is thinner on the V2.0 which in some cases can cause problems with continuous flying. Meaning that when you have two or three batteries charged and are flying your Phantom for longer then 20 minutes you should allow the Phantom itself to cool down when you change the battery. If the unit is pushed to long the wires solder contacts will over heat leading to the problems like irregular flights or worse, crashes.
If you are using the V2.1 ESCs then the unit does not have this issue and will have thicker gauge wires so you can fly for as long as you have charged batteries.
I do always advise taking breaks and checking the Phantom to make sure all internal components are functioning and that there is not physical damage to the unit. It is also a great way to check your images to make sure your lighting and angles are they way you would like too.
Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Thank you for choosing B&H."

Now this is CS. When they say that it has thicker gauge wires. Is he talking about the two contacts which go directly soldered to the PDB?

Do we know the guy who wrote this? I mean the one from B&H who sent this email.

Btw it is so annoying how dji sends that exact same email to everyone.

SSR99 said:
I live in Ontario. Where are you that it's 32c? Lol

I would still check out the ESCs. Just to be safe.

Ya..I was wondering if anyone would catch that<:
I purchased it in Ontario and had my son bring it to me at Christmas, I live in Costa Rica.

I got the top off, and the wires look fine, the solder looks solid, but the sticker has no version number on it...it all seems good to me, but Im a newbie, and would appreciate your opinion on the pics i will post....how do I attach pics to my post <:

Ok, I figured the pics out...pics to follow<;

Attachments

• DSC_4140.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 421
  • DSC_4143.JPG
    DSC_4143.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 398

Everything looks good to me... Im not sure what to do.. Will keep flying with video recording and periodically look under the shell. There are some people that are passionate that there is a problem and i dont know who to believe. Of course dji would never admit to a mistake... Its a chinese company and its not like you can sue them...

rdc4444 said:
Everything looks good to me... Im not sure what to do.. Will keep flying with video recording and periodically look under the shell. There are some people that are passionate that there is a problem and i dont know who to believe. Of course dji would never admit to a mistake... Its a chinese company and its not like you can sue them...

Oh watch what you say, there ate people here that will call you a TROLL or worse a RACIST if you dare vent against the beloved DJI...you have what I had..new motors,old ESC's, DJI replaced the ESC's free of charge Send it back, its only a matter of time before something blows. mismatched parts

Well great, I just ordered a P2 Vision +V3 today from B&H and now I read about this.

I read pages 1-~20 and jumped to the end to hopefully find some good news.... does not look that way. Flying is supposed to be fun, not worried about smelling smoke and having to take a $1,400 piece of equipment apart to look for electrical failures every few flights.

The last quad I built I used iPower motors and the wires coming directly out of the motor were changed to stranded wire with a silicone type of insulation..... the way I think it should be.

When I first started reading this post the theory seemed to be the random placement of too small gauge solid wire across the motor controllers. Now at the end of the posts it seems that there may be different versions of controllers that could be causing the issues.

Is this still the case?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Nick

When I get my new quad on Monday I'll check to see what ver of ESC's I have if they are marked and I'll post my findings since mine is a new unit from B&H.

Another thought I had was to restrain the Quad to some saw horses or something and run 2 batteries through the unit at high blade RPM to see if I can detect any issues. I'd much rather do this in a controlled environment than have a nasty crash or loose the Quad in a lake.
I would assume the motors and ESC's would get close to the same amount of air flow as if the Quad was actually flying.

It's cool where I live now, but in the summer it can hit 104 deg F easy which will only make the issue worse.

nickso, you are correct. DJI is now installing a different ESC's which match the firmware with the motors. To my knowledge nobody with the new combo has reported any kind of failure anywhere with their V3. I'm sure several of us will put them on blast should they continue to fail in some way, but as I say so far all is good. They are suppose to be replacing my quad now. I received a email last evening that they now have my quad and it will be put in line with others for a tech to look at once they reach it's spot in line. It shouldn't take much more then a minute to see my quad needs replaced with no service needed.

Btw, a word of advice for anyone thinking of buying a V3 now. DJI has free shipping and this is absolutely the best route to go with buying a new V3. I say this because when you get a quad straight from DJI it will come with the most recent and newest style of parts. It will also have the most updated revisions and will be as if it came straight from the production line. Some of you that has looked inside if your V3 that has bought one in the last 45 or so days can compare some of the differences that has already been added into the newest V3's here in this link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 2&page=592

nickso said:
When I get my new quad on Monday I'll check to see what ver of ESC's I have if they are marked and I'll post my findings since mine is a new unit from B&H.

Another thought I had was to restrain the Quad to some saw horses or something and run 2 batteries through the unit at high blade RPM to see if I can detect any issues. I'd much rather do this in a controlled environment than have a nasty crash or loose the Quad in a lake.
I would assume the motors and ESC's would get close to the same amount of air flow as if the Quad was actually flying.

It's cool where I live now, but in the summer it can hit 104 deg F easy which will only make the issue worse.

I would think it would be better if you checked into the serial number of your quad in comparison to others that has been known to fail, then to go through the trouble of what you mentioned doing. I guarantee the 1st thing I will do as I slide my new quad out of the box will be removing the top cover and looking at what all is what.

Prylar Bek said:
this just in from DJI

Dear...

Upon inspection of your Phantom we were able to diagnose your issue as a damaged ESC. The components have been replaced and your Phantom has been updated, test flown, and is fully functional. It has been sent to our shipping department where you will receive a FedEx tracking number once it is sent out.

Thank you for supporting DJI products. If you have any other questions, please contact our support center at 818-235-0789 M-F 9AM-5PM Pacific Time. Thank you and have a nice day!

Sincerely,
DJI Repair Team
The Future of Possible

DJI North America

Sent mine out last night. Let us know what ESC's you get. Hopefully 2.1's

I don't think we that just bought p2 vison v3s should touch them that would surly void the warranty Dji should address this issue if there is one

I'm getting ready to contact DJI. If I tell them I have unmarked esc's they are going to know I opened up the shell. Have any of you that have sent it in for repairs had any issues from DJI saying they wont honor the warranty because of that. Also are they paying for shipping both ways or do we have to pay to ship it to them. Thanks.

Nevermind....I just sent DJI an email with all the applicable information and my concerns about the esc. I'll wait and see what they say. Evidentally they can tell by your serial number whether the correct esc's were installed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor