If the PIC uses Goggles to fly, dos that violate the VLOS rule?

I’m sorry but I do not have permission from the gentlemen to share this case. Here is one page from the initial letter he received (before the longer discovery documentation)
It is a public document, permission isn’t needed to disclose.

It would be rude to simply share that document from his friend. If someone were to get it from some other source then yes that's fine but it would be crappy of him to share it without the friend's consent.

Reactions: Drestin Black

I’m do not have permission to share his name and case with the public and I won’t violate his trust. I don’t imagine you would want everything the government collected or wrote about you shared with the world.

And, frankly. I literally have no idea where you could find a public link to such a thing.

Reactions: BigAl07
1st you are breaking the law if you were goggles. 2nd all drone racers at drone racing events have to have a VO/Spotter.
as to just buying a drone at Best Buy... You are right for now... But...
I teach at three universities and speak at several drone related seminars. Here are what conversations and discussing are going on within the FAA. Looking to the future when buying a drone you are going to have to present your pilots license. Looking to the future you will also be taking a practical flight test where you will have to prove your skills to a designator examiner. Take a look at what Canada is doing.... with testing, flight hours etc.

I wonder, if shooting at a drone carries the same penalty as shooting at a helicopter or airliner, does that allow the helicopter or airliner to fly over people?

Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

I fly with the Epson Moverio BT300's & BT 35E's, and from what I've read in the Epson forums that I belong to, they are the only ones that are allowed by the FAA because you can see what you're camera sees, as well as see through them for VLOS. Your sight is similar to watching a 65" HDTV at 8', but it's also transparent. They're awesome, and I seldom fly without them. There is also an optical company (Rochester Optical) that makes "goggle conversions" for them with optional prescription inserts, as well as different filters that attach magnetically to the exterior of them. I've been flying with them for awhile now and albeit, they're expensive, there's nothing like them. YMMV...

Last edited:
...I fly with the Epson Moverio BT300's & BT 35E's, .....
These are the closest things (consumer level anyway) to a true Heads-Up display. They are awesome and if I were in the market that's probably exactly what I'd invest in.

Reactions: D0CT0R
@BigAl07 I've been flying the BT300's since 2017, and just love them for all that they are with the whole HUD display, let alone movies on airplane flights, in privacy without bothering anyone near you. I got the Rochester Optical setup with the goggles, prescription inserts, and shades too. These have their controller that's running Android 5.5, and even though they've had some updates, I broke down and purchased the BT35E's, that don't run Android, but have a breakout box with USB-C/HDMI - In. I connect them to my Crystal Sky output and let friends watch what I see through the glasses on the CS. Great for them to experience what you're seeing in real time! Both pairs of headsets connect to either box, and I've been thinking on selling my BT300 android setup, with the newer BT35E Glasses (which I haven't converted to goggles yet) if you have any interest. The Android controller runs the latest DJI-Go, as well as Litchi. Let me know if you care to get into the Moverio experience.

@BigAl07 I've been flying the BT300's since 2017, and just love them for all that they are with the whole HUD display, let alone movies on airplane flights, in privacy without bothering anyone near you. I got the Rochester Optical setup with the goggles, prescription inserts, and shades too. These have their controller that's running Android 5.5, and even though they've had some updates, I broke down and purchased the BT35E's, that don't run Android, but have a breakout box with USB-C/HDMI - In. I connect them to my Crystal Sky output and let friends watch what I see through the glasses on the CS. Great for them to experience what you're seeing in real time! Both pairs of headsets connect to either box, and I've been thinking on selling my BT300 android setup, with the newer BT35E Glasses (which I haven't converted to goggles yet) if you have any interest. The Android controller runs the latest DJI-Go, as well as Litchi. Let me know if you care to get into the Moverio experience.

I am currently looking into buying a pair and didn't know which one. I'm an android guy so you pretty much made my decision for me! Hopefully I will purchase them in the next few weeks. Have a 25% coupon I need to use. Is there any issues you have had with them? I see there is a 2019 model but not sure about upgrades etc. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

I am currently looking into buying a pair and didn't know which one. I'm an android guy so you pretty much made my decision for me! Hopefully I will purchase them in the next few weeks. Have a 25% coupon I need to use. Is there any issues you have had with them? I see there is a 2019 model but not sure about upgrades etc. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!
If I had a choice between the BT300's, or the BT35e's I would go with the 35e's. The 300's have a fairly feeble processor and only run Android 5.5. It can overheat in hot weather too. The 35e's have no processor, but need HDMI in to function. It's not a problem, as both of my controllers have HDMI out, so they work great. Any more questions, just ask!

If I had a choice between the BT300's, or the BT35e's I would go with the 35e's. The 300's have a fairly feeble processor and only run Android 5.5. It can overheat in hot weather too. The 35e's have no processor, but need HDMI in to function. It's not a problem, as both of my controllers have HDMI out, so they work great. Any more questions, just ask!

Thanks for the help. I have a P4PV2 and a Mavic2 Zoom, neither of them have HDMI out. For whatever reason DJI quit putting them on the Phantoms with the V2. So that sucks.

Thanks for the help. I have a P4PV2 and a Mavic2 Zoom, neither of them have HDMI out. For whatever reason DJI quit putting them on the Phantoms with the V2. So that sucks.
I have one of these on order, that look like they would do the job because of the HDMI out would work with the BT-35e's, but the ones I ordered from China go held up with the virus problem. I may look for a quicker way to get them from a US supplier. Stay tuned...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic