Idiot attempts world record at 3.4 Km/11.000 feet

I personally don't have the gut, skill or money to do it. But in the world of RC. Crazy attempt at fastest/biggest/coolest plant-boat-car-rocket was/is always been a part of the hobby

As far as I am concern. Just do it over big empty area/lake/sea.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

FWI I sent my P3A up the other day to capture a sunset. At 250m I got really worried- no video loss or any other problems, just a mind full of 'what if's. Got my shots and couldn't get it back down quick enough.
Quite high enough for me, thank you very much.

ss-lo.jpg

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Well do we know for sure that he broke the law in this case? You can get legal exemption and permission from ATC to attempt such things. In the US (in my state even) the guys at flight test got a RC plane up to the upper atmosphere seeing black the black abyss with a weather balloon. It is actually not much more dangerous than flying 400' AGL as a plane hitting it would be about the same chance as the pilot getting stuck by lightening, coupled with the chances of bringing a passenger jet down from a strike of even a 3 pound multirotor being far, far less. Bringing a helicopter down would be much easier, and a lot more likely at a lower altitude. Also note that a phantom would reach terminal velocity way, way before 3000m high, so chance of damage to an object on the ground would not be increased much if any. Should he be that high without legal exemption? No, and it could cost you guys some legal headaches however that does not mean it was all that dangerous.

My first thought is that you would have a 2.2 pound projectile falling from the sky when his battery died at 11k feet...

Then, of course, there are the unknowns at that altitude, mainly wind. Winds aloft can be FAR greater than what a Phantom can fly against, so he could lose control THAT WAY, even WITH good strong telemetry... Then, it WOULD run out of power, and possibly fall on some unsuspecting person, structure, or vehicle...

I can't honestly say that I have never THOUGHT about seeing how high my drone would go, but there are just too many variables, not to mention the cost if my drone just didn't come home, or fell out of the sky... I think I'll just keep mine to a perfectly legal 399 ft agl...

its high enough for goodness sake 400ft is high enough, in fact low level footage imo is far more interesting to watch and film! - fact

Reactions: TrevorTron
A little over 100m, and a little faster than 50kph. That is roughly the height it has to fall to reach it's terminal velocity. No wind tunnel, but I gave it an airplanes wind resistance. (So it's actually probably lower and slower)
So, your phantom falling from 6000 meters won't do any more damage than if it fell from 100 meters.

I'll have to disagree with you here champ....the air gets thinner the higher you go, you reach a point where you are limited by the air you can push and the lift the blades can produce, and anybody looking to set an altitude record won't be doing it by adding extra batteries,,,,,the ceiling with the added weight would be a lot lower than the ceiling without. Everything else being equal.

Actually the P3 has a service ceiling of 6000m asl. If he ascended for 20 minutes from sea level then a p3 could reach the max service ceiling. but I doubt the battery would last for 20 minutes of climbing and of course you would not be landing either. so I think his post is accurate IF you are starting at sea level and not some place with a high elevation.

3.4 km is pushing it, my spreadsheet showed me something that kinda surprised me,,,maybe I'm missing something. But it takes almost as much battery to descend as it does to climb...the power consumption was about 1/2, but it took twice as long.

In fact, with a stock 68 watt hour battery, I could only climb for 5 1/5 min. (2km) before descending, which took 10.75 min. Total trip 16 1/4 min. I estimated 3.5% battery left.

Last edited:
Dave. Why would it take 11 min to descend from 3.4k? With the weight of battery/camera at bottom and wind resistance from the prop above(the quad should stay upright and not flip during the almost free fall). Could one not basically put the quad in a manual/low rpm almost free drop most of the way and only start to crank up the motor for a control descend say around 1km/2-3k ft? Just asking

Reactions: rene van der meer
The video is available again. :)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
It might be illegal, the video is quite impressive. ;)
I do wonder whether it is actually 3.4K/11.000 feet. The fish eye lens of the P2 makes it difficult to judge the height.
Is it possible for a P2 to raise to 3400 m in 200 sec?
Would it be possible to estimate the height using the video?

It's not the app. and one doesn't... currently.

Been a team of folks here and elsewhere trying to hack the f/w for months.

How you guys do this?? First flight today but my drone only got to 100 feet then kept giving error message. Is it defective or am I not doing something right?

Dave. Why would it take 11 min to descend from 3.4k? With the weight of battery/camera at bottom and wind resistance from the prop above(the quad should stay upright and not flip during the almost free fall). Could one not basically put the quad in a manual/low rpm almost free drop most of the way and only start to crank up the motor for a control descend say around 1km/2-3k ft? Just asking

I've thought of doing something very similar. Crank it back up at like 1000 feet or something. 3 m/sec, or a little faster, is about as fast as I can depend without bottoming out the stick. I doubt you could start it up from an accidental motor stopping. Trying to start it with the compass freaking out, and the altimeter and gps in rapid motion might be a problem. Doubt you'd get a "ready to fly" during free fall,,,,but if you could get it down to a slow spin, like at first start,,,then yeah, I bet it would stay orientated and could recover

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.