Ideas for Boy Scout Rocket Launch

Reaction score
Was asked by a coworker this week if I could film with my drone the scout rocket launch next month. I did this a long time ago as a scout but my memory is a little fuzzy. Does anybody have any ideas to do this safely? I figured I need to be at least 50-60 feet up (I know some these can go up 1000 feet) and point the camera down with a couple of GoPros on the ground launch pad. If I could have help, then I think a 2 drone shoot would be even better. Any ideas?

It would be cool, to have 1 way up ( max height ) ( legal height )pointing down for the shot, then a second off in the distance ( 60-100' up ) maybe 50-80' out , then some shots from ground level, and near launch pad pointing up ( you'll get birds eye, and worms eye views ) all bases would be covered! If it is possible!

J Dot

( cub-boy scouts have STRICT rules, about their outings, I had to get special permission from cub scouts of America, to fly during a 2 night camp out ( cub scouts ), and I also had to clear it with the campsite ( camp flying eagle ) Bradenton Florida, and finally permission from my scout leader, I'm a pack leader, but very low on totem pole! Hope this helps!

Take care, Fly safe, and good luck!

Reactions: jcknows0
Posting details like when and where might help you find that second shooter. I'm from NNJ originally and may be back there visiting.

If the scouts are launching rockets, do they notify the FAA to clear the airspace? Maybe you could put a drone higher than 400' if that's the case.

Reactions: Larry L
Sorry I meant 50-60 feet out. It's taking place at a flight field in Bridgewater, NJ. I might have a second but if anybody is interested let me know. Was thinking pretty much the same camera blocking of the location but thank you for confirmation. Will ask my coworker about the organizational blessing as I am sure this was not done.

Posting details like when and where might help you find that second shooter. I'm from NNJ originally and may be back there visiting.

If the scouts are launching rockets, do they notify the FAA to clear the airspace? Maybe you could put a drone higher than 400' if that's the case.
That is what I was thinking. You would need to contact the local branch of the FAA ( If there is one) or control tower to put a notam in for that area & time. It wouldn't hurt to ask. If no is reply, No harm.

I've flown my P2V and P3P at many rocket launches. See:

https://www.youtube.com/user/jadebox

Here's a video of a model rocket launch that I made with my P2V with a RotorPixel gimbal:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I would recommend varying your altitude and position between sets of flights to add variety to the video. Choose angles that show the participants. Having people in the videos and photos is more interesting than just rockets. I used still photos in the above video to show the people, but, you may wish to try flying lower and closer. You can try using the 'copter as a portable tripod, positioning it behind the rockets with the person launching the rocket in the background.

The slight latency of the video feed and the small size of the display makes it challenging to follow a rocket in flight, so I mostly just hover to record launches.

Here's a newer video that I made with my P3P which includes some larger rockets.

-- Roger

Last edited:
Reactions: J Dot and Marlin009
I've flown my P2V and P3P at many rocket launches. See:

https://www.youtube.com/user/jadebox

Here's a video of a model rocket launch that I made with my P2V with a RotorPixel gimbal:

I would recommend varying your altitude and position between sets of flights to add variety to the video. Choose angles that show the participants. Having people in the videos and photos is more interesting than just rockets. I used still photos in the above video to show the people, but, you may wish to try flying lower and closer. You can try using the 'copter as a portable tripod, positioning it behind the rockets with the person launching the rocket in the background.

The slight latency of the video feed and the small size of the display makes it challenging to follow a rocket in flight, so I mostly just hover to record launches.

Here's a newer video that I made with my P3P which includes some larger rockets.

-- Roger

Very cool!

I was just talking with a buddy about filming a rocket launch in Laos. This looks crazy. A rocket strike would obliterate a Phantom.

Reactions: Marlin009
I was just talking with a buddy about filming a rocket launch in Laos. This looks crazy. A rocket strike would obliterate a Phantom.

I have seen some of those videos. Pretty spectacular (and, sometimes, scary).

Of course, a group of young scouts launching model rockets isn't quite as spectacular or scary.

-- Roger

Reactions: Clipper707

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers