Iceland 4K - aerial shots from the roadtrip

Piotr_Poland: You’ve got some nice footage. But I nearly didn’t get to it as you started off with five different views of a church spire. Five! I probably would have switched off at that point if I hadn’t had my 60th in Iceland almost a year ago. Furthermore, some clips added nothing of interest and, to be honest, were dull - yet we didn’t see many of the classic landmarks which are very photogenic.

Piotr_Poland: You’ve got some nice footage. But I nearly didn’t get to it as you started off with five different views of a church spire. Five! I probably would have switched off at that point if I hadn’t had my 60th in Iceland almost a year ago. Furthermore, some clips added nothing of interest and, to be honest, were dull - yet we didn’t see many of the classic landmarks which are very photogenic.

Thank you for your honest opinion! Can you specify what classic landmarks are missing here? Maybe I need to go back as I thought I recorded most of them :)

Sweet.
0ROJYyg.png
0ROJYyg.png

Reactions: piotr_poland
Enjoyed it. Different than most others, which made enjoyable. I liked the fact that you didn’t hang too long on one particular thing. The beginning might be a little soft starting out.

Thank you for your honest opinion! Can you specify what classic landmarks are missing here? Maybe I need to go back as I thought I recorded most of them :)
As a starting point, very close to the iceberg lagoon you dwelt on a lot, are two spectacular glaciers that are very photogenic.

There’s a useful and comprehensive photographic guide in PDF format, online, by two Icelandic photographers that is a good starting point. You can then do Google image searches for individual locations. Homework really pays dividends.

Bruarfoss is a gem, well-known to serious amateur photographers as well as professionals - and well away from the mass tourism.

So many shots are absolutely stunning. Bravo! Your horizon appears to be a little off (or is it me?) :30 too long and the edits were a bit too predictable (since you asked) but better than anything I've ever shot with a drone. No worries, I critique my own work just the same :).

Well if ya really want to do it again at about 1:30ish I wouldn't have the 3 or 4 hikers by the fall's
But then again what the heck ;)

As a starting point, very close to the iceberg lagoon you dwelt on a lot, are two spectacular glaciers that are very photogenic.

There’s a useful and comprehensive photographic guide in PDF format, online, by two Icelandic photographers that is a good starting point. You can then do Google image searches for individual locations. Homework really pays dividends.

Bruarfoss is a gem, well-known to serious amateur photographers as well as professionals - and well away from the mass tourism.

Thank you. I've been there for 9 days, so I couldn't visit every place we wanted...Also, the weather was not always good enough to fly - for example it was raining when I was near the glaciers you mentioned. I was waiting for about an hour, no luck.

I will definitely go back to Iceland, so I added Bruarfoss to my list, also I found this photo guide you recommend, thanks!

Thank you. I've been there for 9 days, so I couldn't visit every place we wanted...Also, the weather was not always good enough to fly - for example it was raining when I was near the glaciers you mentioned. I was waiting for about an hour, no luck.

I will definitely go back to Iceland, so I added Bruarfoss to my list, also I found this photo guide you recommend, thanks!
Skogafoss is highly photogenic and deservedly a highlight. We spent seven hours there simply to get one still image (and actually got three). My wife - acting as the model on this occasion - was soaked to the skin in near freezing conditions for most of that time, despite decent waterproofs.

Godafoss is likewise spectacular, but with tricky lighting conditions.

Consider returning in winter (mid January to late February is the best period). It will be an amazing contrast to what you’ve already seen. Your best “green” landscape footage would contrast well with “white” landscape that you’ll capture. But only self-drive if you’re very good behind the wheel and experienced with snow blizzards plus ice. My wife is thankfully a fantastic driver and we were fully concentrated to assist her keep on the road during two frightening blizzards with near-zero visibility, watching for the snow poles as guides. We had to help several people who got into trouble. Locals get frustrated at the ignorance/arrogance of so many visitors.

Another couple of advantages to revisiting in winter is the northern lights and the ice caves. If you do the latter, consider paying more to visit an exclusive one which isn’t packed with hordes of fellow tourists. (Local Guides, if my memory is correct, are great.)

And Godafoss covered in fresh deep snow is heavenly.....

Yes, the weather will be challenging. But isn’t it always there?

Reactions: OOO and Brojon
Skogafoss is highly photogenic and deservedly a highlight. We spent seven hours there simply to get one still image (and actually got three). My wife - acting as the model on this occasion - was soaked to the skin in near freezing conditions for most of that time, despite decent waterproofs.

Godafoss is likewise spectacular, but with tricky lighting conditions.

Consider returning in winter (mid January to late February is the best period). It will be an amazing contrast to what you’ve already seen. Your best “green” landscape footage would contrast well with “white” landscape that you’ll capture. But only self-drive if you’re very good behind the wheel and experienced with snow blizzards plus ice. My wife is thankfully a fantastic driver and we were fully concentrated to assist her keep on the road during two frightening blizzards with near-zero visibility, watching for the snow poles as guides. We had to help several people who got into trouble. Locals get frustrated at the ignorance/arrogance of so many visitors.

Another couple of advantages to revisiting in winter is the northern lights and the ice caves. If you do the latter, consider paying more to visit an exclusive one which isn’t packed with hordes of fellow tourists. (Local Guides, if my memory is correct, are great.)

And Godafoss covered in fresh deep snow is heavenly.....

Yes, the weather will be challenging. But isn’t it always there?

Yes, my plan is to go in the winter, because of the northern lights and the ice caves :) Also, the prices are much lower at that time of the year.

I've been to Godafoss, it wasn't my favorite waterfall, also it was raining at that time, that's why it's not in my drone video. I like Dettifoss the most, especially from the East side - better view, less people.

Skogafoss is great indeed. Unfortunately, I saw "no drones" sign there, that's why I didn't fly there, but I recorded it using a normal camera.

Last edited:
Skogafoss is highly photogenic and deservedly a highlight.
I need to return while I can still hike. I was stationed there in the 70's and I still can't say enough good about the country and the people.
So many things to see - I hope most of what I saw is still there.
Skogafoss was my favorite - mostly due to its proximity to Keflavik. A little known fact is there's a trail about 2 km to the east you can hike up to the glacier itself. There's a canyon up there etched by the glacial rivers that we schlepped down at the headwaters and hiked down. Absolutely fantastic. We bathed in a frigid mini falls and slept on top of boulders with 6"of the softest moss I've ever felt. It would be a fantastic place to drone since the entire length is punctuated with drops and waterfalls.
All along the southern coast there are (?) fishing villages where they used to hang teh fish up to dry naturally on racks fr that purpose - outside town so they didn't have to smell it ;)
A little known but fantastic place to drive or charter a plane is Akureyri at the northernmost part of Iceland - it's above the Arctic Circle and has amazing sea life including puffins.
Glad you got to see their version of Old Faithful!https://www.akureyri.is/

I need to return while I can still hike. I was stationed there in the 70's and I still can't say enough good about the country and the people.
So many things to see - I hope most of what I saw is still there.
Skogafoss was my favorite - mostly due to its proximity to Keflavik. A little known fact is there's a trail about 2 km to the east you can hike up to the glacier itself. There's a canyon up there etched by the glacial rivers that we schlepped down at the headwaters and hiked down. Absolutely fantastic. We bathed in a frigid mini falls and slept on top of boulders with 6"of the softest moss I've ever felt. It would be a fantastic place to drone since the entire length is punctuated with drops and waterfalls.
All along the southern coast there are (?) fishing villages where they used to hang teh fish up to dry naturally on racks fr that purpose - outside town so they didn't have to smell it ;)
A little known but fantastic place to drive or charter a plane is Akureyri at the northernmost part of Iceland - it's above the Arctic Circle and has amazing sea life including puffins.
Glad you got to see their version of Old Faithful!

oh yes, I've been to Dalvik, which is near Akureyri - actually the mainland of Iceland is not above the Arctic Circle, but it's close :) We were very lucky to meet a crazy humpback whale that was jumping out of the water :) here is the video I shot:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: OOO and Brojon

Brojon: You were very fortunate to see it then. I can’t say there has been any damage in terms of the natural landscapes, but the phenomenal increase in tourist numbers certainly detracts from any sense of wilderness in many locations - even in winter. And some of the behaviour is worse than you’d see in national parks (which, in itself, can be poor). The locals are pleased with the added income, but equally dismayed at the downside.

Skogafoss is great indeed. Unfortunately, I saw "no drones" sign there, that's why I didn't fly there.
Good on you for being respectful. I didn’t know about the “no drones” as it was a working trip as well as for my 60th and we were too focused to notice outside our brief. I do remember seeing a Phantom buzzing around at one point. Or perhaps the sign was put up after February 2017?

All the best images of Godafoss are taken with deep snow. The white stuff superbly frames the falls. And if you place a human in the right spot, with certain coloured clothing, it seriously works. Few venture north in the winter in comparison with the southern coast. Sorry you saw it in the rain.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31