I was investigated by the FAA for flying in Class C airspace

Re: I was investigated by the FAA for flying in Class C airs

Can someone post a link to whatever regulation or rule prohibits flying a Phantom within 5 miles of an airfield? I ask because the only park in the vicinity of where I live that has an area designated for flying model aircraft including helicopters and "drones" is Sunnyvale Baylands Park. It's less than 4 miles from San Jose International Airport and less than 3 miles from Moffett Federal Airfield (where US presidents land Air Force 1 when they come in to do fund-raising in Silicon Valley). People fly RC craft there every day. The park is not in the flight path of either one, but still, it seems like someone isn't thinking this out.

RussA said:
Can someone post a link to whatever regulation or rule prohibits flying a Phantom within 5 miles of an airfield? I ask because the only park in the vicinity of where I live that has an area designated for flying model aircraft including helicopters and "drones" is Sunnyvale Baylands Park. It's less than 4 miles from San Jose International Airport and less than 3 miles from Moffett Federal Airfield (where US presidents land Air Force 1 when they come in to do fund-raising in Silicon Valley). People fly RC craft there every day. The park is not in the flight path of either one, but still, it seems like someone isn't thinking this out.

Likely because those people that are flying at a designated RC field AREN'T FLYING THEIR PLANES AT 3600 AGL!

Also, being a designated RC airfield, the FAA and ATC know to look for model aircraft in the air.

RussA said:
San Jose International Airport and less than 3 miles from Moffett Federal Airfield (where US presidents land Air Force 1 when they come in to do fund-raising in Silicon Valley). People fly RC craft there every day.

But not when the President comes to town. When that happens there is a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) slapped down that grounds virtually everything except scheduled airline traffic. This includes model aircraft. We just had one yesterday (Saturday 6/14) here in SOCAL.

RussA said:
I would still like a link to the applicable regulations, if anyone knows it.

Right now the best there is comes out of the FMRA Public Law 112-95, Section 336:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/HR658_020112.pdf

But this has not actually taken effect yet. We have to wait for the FAA to publish the long awaited sUAS Rule, which is slated to happen sometime near the end of this year.

SilentAV8R said:
RussA said:

Right now the best there is comes out of the FMRA Public Law 112-95, Section 336:

But this has not actually taken effect yet. We have to wait for the FAA to publish the long awaited sUAS Rule, which is slated to happen sometime near the end of this year.
Thank you. That's what I was looking for, although, as you say, it is only the statutory authorization to promulgate the rules, not the rules themselves. However, there are presumably other rules pertaining to commercial flying of UAV's, or there would not have been the Pirker case. That's a different issue, I realize.

RussA said:
SilentAV8R said:
RussA said:

Thank you. That's what I was looking for, although, as you say, it is only the statutory authorization to promulgate the rules, not the rules themselves. However, there are presumably other rules pertaining to commercial flying of UAV's, or there would not have been the Pirker case. That's a different issue, I realize.

As amazing as it is to think, the FAA is relying on the "It's a rule because we say it is a rule" line of thinking. The whole reason they lost the Pirker case was because the NTSB judge recognized their empty bluster. Hopefully the full NTSB Board will upheld the ruling on appeal.

Having said that, all this only doubles the resolve of the FAA to keep intimidating and bullying people into complying with their imaginary concept of rules. But until the NPRM is published and the sUAS Rule finalized, they will not have a leg to stand on.

Thanks for the heads up and for sharing the info. I'm also right near the edge of the Class C of BHM but am careful to never bust the floor of the class C.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic