I was clear to fly but DJI said no.

It's been said many times. What right does a foreign government has to do with me flying MY DRONE in my country? My country has a system set up to handle things. Is there an ulterior motive?
Yep, it was made in their country..........LOL the cost of buying from foreign countries.....LOL

When say near an airport, how close? Tower controlled? What are the grid altitude? If the grid altitude is zero you've gotten a false approval as zero grid requires a direct FAA COA approval. Now if your in a grid area that has plus flght altitude, you should have used that approval to do a custom unlock on the DJI zone request and submit that LAANC approval as proof of authorization.
Venice Municipal is a Class E airport non towered Class E floor is 700’AGL, so Class G below 700’. No grid on the UAS Facilities Map so LAANC clearance not required.
B7ACB742-4A5D-4812-A90C-99EA58980FA6.jpeg

UAS Facilities Map
47C45984-5678-4379-95E6-9DEF11B4327C.jpeg

Miami Sectional

Venice Municipal is a Class E airport non towered Class E floor is 700’AGL, so Class G below 700’. No grid on the UAS Facilities Map so LAANC clearance not required.
View attachment 123441
UAS Facilities Map
View attachment 123442
Miami Sectional
It is a very busy airport. I would be afraid to fly over 200 ft. with all the air traffic. All I wanted to do was about 50 ft. at the most, so I could fish.

View attachment 123441
UAS Facilities Map
View attachment 123442
Miami Sectional
The DJI drone zone shows the flight paths for take off and landing from I75 NE , SE to 776 the others head out over water, so maybe you were in one of the flight paths

It is a very busy airport. I would be afraid to fly over 200 ft. with all the air traffic. All I wanted to do was about 50 ft. at the most, so I could fish.
I knew you didn’t need much in the way of altitude for fishing.

This airport is one of those that you have to study the flight pattern according to the prevailing wind to know where most of the traffic will be and keep an extra close eye for any low flying aircraft near the water. With the jetty only a couple of miles from the center of the airport I would be leery of flying much over 100 feet.

This is one of those cases you probably have to obtain an unlock before you even head out there. Glad I don’t have a nanny watching over me.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
I knew you didn’t need much in the way of altitude for fishing.

This airport is one of those that you have to study the flight pattern according to the prevailing wind to know where most of the traffic will be and keep an extra close eye for any low flying aircraft near the water. With the jetty only a couple of miles from the center of the airport I would be leery of flying much over 100 feet.

This is one of those cases you probably have to obtain an unlock before you even head out there. Glad I don’t have a nanny watching over me.
Yes, I have concerns as you stated. If I thought there would be a conflict, I would have never tried flying. 50 feet was no problem at all. Only if you were a plane flying that high. I also took into consideration the flight path of the aircraft. I noticed the flight path when I was at Sharkey's pier earlier that day on my I pad. I always check. The jetty was a go. I thought. Ole well, I'm playing in the snow now. We love rainbow trout. Lol.

Yes, I have concerns as you stated. If I thought there would be a conflict, I would have never tried flying. 50 feet was no problem at all. Only if you were a plane flying that high. I also took into consideration the flight path of the aircraft. I noticed the flight path when I was at Sharkey's pier earlier that day on my I pad. I always check. The jetty was a go. I thought. Ole well, I'm playing in the snow now. We love rainbow trout. Lol.
What is your usual fare when surf fishing in Florida?

What is your usual fare when surf fishing in Florida?
I use my P4 with a "t" shaped adapter I made that hooks across the bottom of the legs. The adapter then sticks out the back of the drone with a slight up curve. I have a 3 foot leader that hangs off the back piece and hooks to the fishing line. That keeps the drone under control so there won't be a pendulum affect. I fly my drone side ways so the line won't side off. If for some reason the line gets caught it will simply jerk the drone sideways and fall off without harming the drone. When I'm ready to release the line, I position the drone straight from me and the line falls off. You can buy a $150 line release. We discussed it on the forum with pictures under drone fishing. I learned most everything from the people on this forum.

I use my P4 with a "t" shaped adapter I made that hooks across the bottom of the legs. The adapter then sticks out the back of the drone with a slight up curve. I have a 3 foot leader that hangs off the back piece and hooks to the fishing line. That keeps the drone under control so there won't be a pendulum affect. I fly my drone side ways so the line won't side off. If for some reason the line gets caught it will simply jerk the drone sideways and fall off without harming the drone. When I'm ready to release the line, I position the drone straight from me and the line falls off. You can buy a $150 line release. We discussed it on the forum with pictures under drone fishing. I learned most everything from the people on this forum.
Good info for many to know, but I was curious what type of fish you catch in Florida that you put on the table for dinner.

Each has their preference. I use to catch blues at jetty Park in Coco Beach in March. Some people don't like them. I love them grilled. Anytime I catch a shark I'm happy, also good grilled. Flounder, grouper, snook, weak fish, small reds and the list goes on. I never had a boat to go out after the deep fish. That is possible with a drone. My wife's family is in Panama City Beach and it's great for drone fishing. About 400ft. out it drops off to 50, 60 ft. There you have tuna, sword fish, dauphin shark, etc. Capt KO can expound on what's out there. He is an avid Florida fisherman. I never liked Florida's fresh water fish. The fish always seemed off taste and soft and mushy.

• Love
Reactions: DoomMeister
When say near an airport, how close? Tower controlled? What are the grid altitude? If the grid altitude is zero you've gotten a false approval as zero grid requires a direct FAA COA approval. Now if your in a grid area that has plus flght altitude, you should have used that approval to do a custom unlock on the DJI zone request and submit that LAANC approval as proof of authorization.
Grid altitude was 200 feet, on LAANC I only requested 150 feet and it was granted. I just went and looked on DJI's geofence map and it is completely different from the FAA charts. :mad: Totally lame.

Reactions: MTO
I fly at the Clearwater Sand Key jetty without problems. Park ranger won't let me take off from the beach side but ok on the inlet side. Then I can fly the beach, makes no sense.
Hi there, I am quite new to FYI g my drone but do all I can to follow the rules. I am in the Feather Sound (restricted) area and am always looking for safe places to fly. I have been told it is permissible to launch “anywhere” on a beach as long as it is within the MLW mark to the MHW mark. Do you know if that is the case?

Thank you!

Hi there, I am quite new to FYI g my drone but do all I can to follow the rules. I am in the Feather Sound (restricted) area and am always looking for safe places to fly. I have been told it is permissible to launch “anywhere” on a beach as long as it is within the MLW mark to the MHW mark. Do you know if that is the case?

Thank you!
Looks like Feather Sound is not only in the Class D (not restricted there is a difference) airspace of St. Pete Clearwater airport, but in the 0’ AGL sections. This prevents any sUAS flying there unless you have your 107 certification and apply for waiver through the FAADroneZone.

Good apps for finding out where you can fly are AirMap and Aloft. Both are free.

Other areas like Cooper’s Point Nature Park would allow a flight up to 200’ AGL with LAANC clearance provided there are no local rules prohibiting drone flights in the park.

The use of beaches in the area between MLT and MHT is new thing for me and I am going to research Florida laws on that.

Last edited:
This seems to cover public access and use of Florida’s beaches Beaches - Accessing Florida's Coast

Just remember that flying over people is not allowed unless your aircraft is within OOP guidelines, and beaches are used by many people.

Here is information on OOP:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic