I wanted a Vision until...

Reaction score
Have you seen the price of an extra battery? $150.00 :shock: Thanks folks, but no thanks!

I flew my loaner P2V this morning, using my iTouch as a monitor. First time I've had FPV. The P2V flew fine, very stable hover. I did miss the front headlight I have on my regular bird for orientation. Since this is not my bird I am not adding anything but it strikes me how NOT easily to mod the P2V is. Lots of exposed power leads on a regular V1. On the P2V I think one could get power from the USB port (altho looks like special size). Otherwise one would have to pop the hood and solder in somewhere if there is no Aux cord. Doubt there is, the P2V is intended to be complete and self-contained.

What I as VERY impressed with was the remote camera control. With my Pv1 I have to start video before flight and turn off after...record whole flight....no other options. For single photos I similarly have to start timed pictures at beginning of flight and record hundreds in hopes of getting one or more usable. With the P2V I can turn on video only when there is really something to record, change between ALL recording options in terms of FOV, fps, quality, etc.. I can also take a still anytime I want, once framed an lined up. To my eye from one shot video the camera is the equivalent of the GPH3.

Surprisingly, caught me off guard, while recording video my FPV feed did not keep up in real-time, ended up 4-5 seconds delayed. I had no clue that would happen. Don't know whether there is a fix for that, maybe only happens when recording, or can be solved by Sd card or recording parameters.

Downside....the biggest is battery price. I will be very surprised if there are not hack/clone versions within 6 months. And, there are no other charging options other than their supplied 110v AC charger. There seem to be more things to charge before flying than my V1...but not really when I figure in that one does not charge the camera, so that is a wash.

The 1d stabilized gimbal with remote tilt is pretty good, and If one flew carefully, and seeing on-screen I think on could get great video. But it is still not as good or forgiving as 2d stabilization.

And, since the video files are not GoPro generated, the GoPro Studio (free version) de-fish feature is not available.

Didn't time my flight but it sure is great having all that time to work into the best filming positions and work slowly and methodically. All minutes are not of equal value. Another minute or two tacked onto a flight into recording territory is MUCH more valuable than the equal time after having landed for a battery change. Just sayin'.

I think for the absolute $ savings getting built-in camera, tilt, 1d stabilization, fpv, osd, AND remote camera control....you could buy 2-3 more batteries compared to a PV1 and buying all those things separately....and save yourself one complete head of hair. Lots to be said for it.

Peter, I've not flown the Vision, although I have friends who have. Like any product there are pluses and minuses. Thanks for the review.

Lots of exposed power leads on a regular V1
wut? inside the phantom probably but who cares, you never fly "open".

What I as VERY impressed with was the remote camera control
Yeah, that is actually an advantage of the Vision but there are as many disadvantages. The best camera is useless without a proper brushless gimbal. You dont have proper FPV, only short range FPV over WIFI with build in lag and its not very stable at all.
Dont get me wrong, the vision is an interesting copter if you use it as a still camera but for filming its useless and the FPV feeling with a goggle + iOSD is also much more fun. I bought the Phantom 1.1.1 last week with goggles,gimbal,iOSD, Gopro3 Black, for me thats the better solution

Do you know what the deal is on that FPV lag?? When first powered up and taking off there was no lag at all. I only noticed it after turning on video. The GoPro 3 Black wifi has a 4 second lag....ALL the time. But 1) this is not a gopro camera, 2) The camera itself is not generating wifi but transmitting on 5.6 Ghz to the receiver on the Main Tx and THAT is generating local wifi for your iOS device. I don't why there should be any lag...and there WASN'T during the first part of the flight.

Does anyone know what's going on with this in the Vision?

The video is not sent on the 5.8 GHz range, it is purely sent over WiFi. The little box that comes on the controller is actually a wifi range extender, since most cellphones don't have a good antenna. The new controller is 5.8 GHz, which is why the wifi option works.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. But do you have any idea why there seems to be, from my one only flight, a variable lag in live-view from Zero to about 4 seconds. We all know the GoPro Black has a 4 second lag in wifi transmission....and the Vision camera is likely a GP mod....but there are other, non-lag live view options ON a GP3. There was NO lag when I first started flying. Any clue? I have returned the bird to its owner but I will be training him and he will want to know.

fizzviic said:
Have you seen the price of an extra battery? $150.00 :shock: Thanks folks, but no thanks!

10 minutes average flight on dji phantom. 5 batteries at $30 bucks a piece gives you 50 minutes of flight for $150.

stock battery on vision gives 25 minutes of flight, plus a spare battery gives you 50 minutes of flight for $150.

its all relative......

(cue the guy who argues i get 11 minutes on a battery that costs $28)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl