I screwed up

Reaction score
Doh... A few days ago I removed these prop guard mounts that I had originally used when first got my P3s.
I sat at my bench and unscrewed them and replaced the original motor mount screws except for 1, I was missing it so I just used one that came with the mount kit, same diameter just a little longer, what can it hurt, right?,
Well my next attempt at a flight was a disaster,
After pre flight checks , satellites, all green, auto take off, 3 engines spooled up and before I had a chance to abort, it rose up and flipped over into the frigin snow , broke a blade on my landing pad.
I opened her up, tested that engine on the other side to ensure it’s not the board and found out that I had made contact with the stator or rotor (whichever it is on a brushless) with that longer screw, and it’s toast,
So my lesson is, get off your fat *** and find the correct screw required
And my sentence is no flying for a week and a DJI fine of 25$ per motor.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Doh... A few days ago I removed these prop guard mounts that I had originally used when first got my P3s.
I sat at my bench and unscrewed them and replaced the original motor mount screws except for 1, I was missing it so I just used one that came with the mount kit, same diameter just a little longer, what can it hurt, right?,
Well my next attempt at a flight was a disaster,
After pre flight checks , satellites, all green, auto take off, 3 engines spooled up and before I had a chance to abort, it rose up and flipped over into the frigin snow , broke a blade on my landing pad.
I opened her up, tested that engine on the other side to ensure it’s not the board and found out that I had made contact with the stator or rotor (whichever it is on a brushless) with that longer screw, and it’s toast,
So my lesson is, get off your fat *** and find the correct screw required
And my sentence is no flying for a week and a DJI fine of 25$ per motor.
Sorry you didn't see the warnings about that here first. We have heard that same story so many times here that its one of the first things we warn people about when they mention prop guards. Usually though its all 4 motors that are ruined, so you are one of the lucky ones!

Thanks for sharing your story to help keep it fresh in the minds of new operators.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel