I never noticed this till I got home. What is it?

Reaction score
I wanted to get some pictures and video of a cross on a mountain top. It's called Jumonville cross. It was built in 1950. It is concrete and plated with 1/2 inch steel. I had to play around at the base of the mountain for a few hours till the clouds lifted off the top of the mountain. A national park is right beside this site, which is where I had to park off the road. Jumonville Glen - Fort Necessity National Battlefield (U.S. National Park Service) I made sure I walked a ways to gain distance from the NP and also elevation to be able to fly safely to the cross. It was hard on me because of the steepness. I had hoped the autumn colors would have been out more.
Untitled-5c.jpg

When I got home, I noticed something on the top of one of the arms. For size purposes, It is 60 ft. high. It has 12 ft. arms attached to the vertical piece.
Untitled-3cc.jpg

On one pictures it looks like one thing and on another it looks like something else. So I made a short clip to maybe see it at different angles.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I froze a frame and I think it made things worse. At first, I thought it was a drone. In the freeze frame it looks like a hole is rusted out.
crossc.jpg

Definitely something there. Maybe a big bird (a very big bird) ate something that disagreed with him. ? ..........Or maybe rust.........

Either way, they are some really good pics. Thanks for sharing. [emoji106]

Reactions: Whitwellian
It appears to cast a shadow? going with something "laying" there rather than splat or hole.
You did make me look up the "other 2" to see which side's they were on ?

Definitely something there. Maybe a big bird (a very big bird) ate something that disagreed with him. ? ..........Or maybe rust.........

Either way, they are some really good pics. Thanks for sharing. [emoji106]
It looks like something you hit while flying and it plopped there. Maybe a really large bird relieved itself while roosting there. White large birds are normal in your area. I can't think of any large white birds around this area.

I tend to agree with what Captainmilehigh has said about it being something produced from one end or the other of a bird.

Looking at the scenes in general, there was no "point source" of light - the benches at ground level don't seem to have produced definite shadows - just dark areas underneath that you'd see on even a dull, cloudy day.

I wanted to get some pictures and video of a cross on a mountain top. It's called Jumonville cross. It was built in 1950. It is concrete and plated with 1/2 inch steel. I had to play around at the base of the mountain for a few hours till the clouds lifted off the top of the mountain. A national park is right beside this site, which is where I had to park off the road. Jumonville Glen - Fort Necessity National Battlefield (U.S. National Park Service) I made sure I walked a ways to gain distance from the NP and also elevation to be able to fly safely to the cross. It was hard on me because of the steepness. I had hoped the autumn colors would have been out more. View attachment 120250

When I got home, I noticed something on the top of one of the arms. For size purposes, It is 60 ft. high. It has 12 ft. arms attached to the vertical piece.
View attachment 120251

On one pictures it looks like one thing and on another it looks like something else. So I made a short clip to maybe see it at different angles.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I froze a frame and I think it made things worse. At first, I thought it was a drone. In the freeze frame it looks like a hole is rusted out.
View attachment 120252
I know it sounds stupid but it looks like a gold chain or similar

We will anxiously await your next investigative flyby. ?
Don't hold your breath, it's an hour drive away. The sun is to the left. The shadows are to the left. I believe it is a sunken in spot is the reason for the shadow there. There is no shadow on the right because it is sunken in. I might give them a call at that Christian resort and see if they know. Only if I saw it when I was there. A little fly over would solve it.

Ok guys I’ve cleaned the last 4 post from this. Some of you took
a innocent thread and had to get nasty. No warnings were issued
but you guys are better than this and know better.
Go easy guys.

Reactions: Martin Healy
Not the best photo. Looks like a rigging point to me. If you go back, take photos instead of video.

D
I love reading your posts and your slant on things, but it ain't going to happen. Lol
I am sure, if i go back, my focus will be to get a great picture of it. This old guy ain't walking back up that mountain to get a picture of rust, rigging or where a vulture relieved itself. Sorry. Lol

I love reading your posts and your slant on things, but it ain't going to happen. Lol
I am sure, if i go back, my focus will be to get a great picture of it. This old guy ain't walking back up that mountain to get a picture of rust, rigging or where a vulture relieved itself. Sorry. Lol

Awww,...c'mon WV. We are quivering with anticipation. [emoji16]

Maybe pack a picnic lunch, a couple ice cold adult beverages, and enjoy solving the mystery in the crisp mountain air. [emoji106]

Until then, who knows what may lurk on top of that seemingly innocent structure. [emoji15]

Reactions: Harleydude
Awww,...c'mon WV. We are quivering with anticipation. [emoji16]

Maybe pack a picnic lunch, a couple ice cold adult beverages, and enjoy solving the mystery in the crisp mountain air. [emoji106]

Until then, who knows what may lurk on top of that seemingly innocent structure. [emoji15]
Not today, I’m tried. You take a picture when leaving Pittsburgh international to DC. You’ll fly right over it.

Touché, sir. But I might suggest simply parking where you normally park and flying your bird up there. That's your challenge for the week....<;^)

D

Touché, sir. But I might suggest simply parking where you normally park and flying your bird up there. That's your challenge for the week....<;^)

D
Oh, it easy to talk when you are in Albuquerque. The parking would be in a NP. land, which is the closest access point. The retreat that owns the land lets people walk to the cross. They have a gate to keep vehicles from going up to the cross. If I could fly from the pull off parking on NP land, the cross is too far and too high up the mountain to safely fly. Besides, I'm tired and I'm not going back up there. You're cruel. Ten years younger, I would be your age and didn't know I would have the physical problems I have now. I got blindsided at 63. LOL

Reactions: captainmilehigh

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic