I need help.

Reaction score
I am new to the Phantom but I flew it successfully 2 hours after I got it and it flies like a dream....I have about twenty flights under my belt and I am getting familiar and confident with it. I mounted a GoPro, shot video and stills and couldn't be happier with everything so far. However, I do need some advice...I am barely computer literate but I was able to download the assistant software and connect the Phantom but it tells me that I have it update the " firmware" before I can go any farther. My question is this...if I am happy with the way it's flying and have no intention of using the IOC, is it necessary for me to update anything or can I leave it like it is?

I am still flying on the 4.0 with no problems on the 1.1.1 . The only reasion I have not updated is the Assistant would not let me register dji said they where working on it (this is a rear situation) all the searching I did not many had this problem . Tried shutting all my firewalls off . Well 3 pcs later my oldest PC worked and let me register that was about a month ago but I still am running the 4.0 that came with my bird because everything works fine my flying season is on hold because of the weather so I probably will update . I have been going a good 3 months with the 4.0 so you should be fine if your not having any problems . There are some good vids on YouTube that do a step by step for when your ready to update . Dji puts out updates to fix bugs so you should do it when you feel more comfortable doing it .
GL

Thanks for the reply. I am in the same position as far as weather, although I did take it out for a couple of batteries at 6 degrees and it started up and flew fine. As long as it's flying satisfactorily, I am just hesitant about doing anything involving the computer because I'm not very savvy computer-wise. I have no desire to fly in any other mode besides GPS so I don't see the upside; I bought a light that goes on the battery cover that helps a lot in orienting the aircraft....so far I have found it easy to determine direction on the thing. Anyway, I think I will just leave it as-is for the time being and see what happens. Thanks again !

I've had mine for over a month and I too will not update, it flies and performs perfectly. I've read about some of the glitches people have encountered afterwards, and that scares me away.

I just posted another question maybe you guys can help me with. What is the maximum weight, aircraft and accessories , that the Phantom will handle? I tried the search function but couldn't come up with a definitive answer

If it's not broke don't fix it. I had a problem getting the software to work as well. After talking with DJI I found out that the software is not automatically downloaded with the needed driver. I use Windows 8 and had to return to the sight and download the driver and install it on my computer before the software recognized my Phantom. Did a basic calibration and of course when I finished the software gave me the Error-27 (GPS not calibrated or magnetic interference) Took it outside and did the 10 clicks on the switch, rotated Phantom as instructed and the red and green light blinking disappeared.
I think its a good idea to get the software upgraded and running. Never know when you might need it.
Good luck
Windjammer

"bought a light that goes on the battery cover that helps a lot in orienting the aircraft....so far I have found it easy to determine direction on the thing. "

What kind of light are you using on your Phantom door?

[ I bought a light that goes on the battery cover that helps a lot in orienting the aircraft....so far I have found it easy to determine direction on the thing.
What kind of light are you using on Phantom door?

It's a small LED a little bigger than a quarter covered with tiny lights. It connects to the balance lead on the battery and it's bright as hell. It really helps me a lot even during the day to orient the front if the aircraft. It's was only like 3 bucks and worth it at twice the price.

Sokol said:
It's a small LED a little bigger than a quarter covered with tiny lights. It connects to the balance lead on the battery and it's bright as hell. It really helps me a lot even during the day to orient the front if the aircraft. It's was only like 3 bucks and worth it at twice the price.
Where do buy those?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor