I just want to cry ... (no didn't lose my quad)

Reaction score
I tried a new antenna combination on my quad today. I got the BEST FLIGHT I'VE EVER HAD!!!!
The new combo was giving me crystal clear video at 750m, and best of all, was allowing me to rotate the quad without losing the video feed, I was even able to come down quite low, where previously I've had to stay really high up to keep the signal. This meant I could circle around some sculptures that are set up around our lake (away from people), and generally just have a fantastic good old remote explore doing everything I'd dreamed these things can do but never been able to get it to do with other antenna setups.

I started the GoPro filming before I'd even finished setting up, but on the last few flights I'd not emptied the SD card, so I got a message on my monitor saying the card was full. I didn't want to play around with the camera while it was on the powered up quad (getting GPS lock) because it screws up the gimbal if you play with the camera too much while the gimbal is powered, so I remotely logged in via my phone to the camera, using the GoPro app, and emptied the card that way. No more message about a full memory card, so all seemed good.
Got back home after 3 full batteries of amazing flight, and some of the most fun I've ever had from the quad, and found I had only a few seconds of video from the whole day because I didn't realise that when it said the card was full, it had obviously stopped recording, and just emptying the card doesn't restart that back up.
I know the GoPro can send the details to the monitor to show when it is and isn't filming, but that makes such a mess of the other info on screen, that I've turned it off. I guess I'd best turn it back on. That way I'll know it's not recording.

I'll be in my room in tears if you need me.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Well obviously you haven't erased your sense of humor.

Thanks for the story. Now I know what NOT to do.

FYI: I've got an hour or two of great audio, while the cap has securely protected the lens. :roll:

Well don't cry man ya got 2400' now and there will be more days to fly !
What were ya getting before ya changed your antenna's ?

I've once managed 1002 metres 3287 feet, but that was really dodgy quality video feed, it was barely usable to even know where I was, and if I moved much, or went lower, I lost it completely.
Mostly I only get a useable 400m (1312ft), but the setup should be able to do way more than that.
I have built quite a collection of antennae trying to fix this problem - I have twin blue-beams, I have spironet fatsharks, I have 3 FPVLR antenna, and I have the 2 original antenna,
Today I decided to put one of the spironet fat sharks on the bird, AND importantly, decided to leave it sticking out horizontally - normally I put it on an L shape adaptor that points it downwards so it hangs upside down. With it out sideways it was the first time I could fly low. Normally I lost signal if I went low. I am starting to think having it hanging down below probably doesn't transmit well out the sides of the quad, and probably mostly into the ground I'd imagine.
Today on the receiver end I had two of the FPVLR antennae - a 5 coil helical and the second FPVLR cloverleaf (???) (the one with 4 wire loops). I've used that on the receiver end before, and that was how I got to the 1002 metres. The spironet on the bird horizontally seems to have been the big change.
It handled 750 metres with such clarity, that I don't doubt I could have gone much further. Not a hint of flicker or loss, and I could come down quite low and circle almost a full 360 degrees, only got a bit sketchy at the point where the antenna would have been facing totally away from me on the opposite side of the bird. It meant that instead of having to stay over the water for least obstructions, I could fly a line that followed the actual shoreline, in and out of the bays, and then circle the sculpture, then along under the bridge height to the other side and do the same along the shoreline on the occupied side, along past all the amazed McDonald's and KFC patrons, and film the cyclists riding along on the bikepath on the shore. It would have been fantastic footage IF I'D GOTTEN ANY .. Boohoo

Sounds like you have found the combination that works for yours :D Ya got to keep trying on each one of these things as they each seem to me to have their own personality !
Now if ya can just duplicate that run you will have it licked :D
And cut on the camera ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl