I just switched from Note 3 to Ipad Air 2

Reaction score
oh sweet baby jesus what a difference!

Obviously the ipad has a bigger screen but I was amazed at how much faster the app ran in general.

For example the Note 3 took a couple minutes to load up your flight log for you to watch while the ipad has that **** ready as soon as you click on it.

The note 3 did a fine job for what it was but this Ipad is kicking its ***.

I've just bought an iPad Air 2 myself, and am upgrading from an iPhone 5S... This iPad is amazing, I cannot wait to fly!!

I use the note 3 as well I find watching video footage back on my phone is a little choppy... is it perfect on the iPad?

I had to have dynamic home point.
naw, i couldn't justify it for the few extra options it adds to the flying experience.

I had to have dynamic home point. Regardless, I'd love the WiFi only version if that's what I had. It's a great device. The screen is sick, it's like you're actually touching the pixels. :)

Reactions: acherman
Make sure you turn on hardware decoding as well.. This will make it even smoother.

On the Air 2? I thought it had plenty of processor power without turning on hardware decoding. Doesn't that also make it run hotter?

No it's the opposite, When you turn on hardware decode you are using the GPU of the device. When set to OFF, it's using software decode via the CPU, which in turn makes it run hotter. The only time you want to turn off hardware decode is if you are experiencing reboots of the ipad

No it's the opposite, When you turn on hardware decode you are using the GPU of the device. When set to OFF, it's using software decode via the CPU, which in turn makes it run hotter. The only time you want to turn off hardware decode is if you are experiencing reboots of the ipad
Well I'll be damned! I've been doing it wrong! I'll give it a try tomorrow.............. it's raining here today. Thanks!

Interesting that while using Shou on the Air 2 I get a black screen recording with it on (and yes assistive touch is on) but with hardware acceleration turned off I get the flight screen recorded. I have tried this several times and it has been the same, I wonder if another app is in conflict, although I don't have much on the Air and make sure to unload all active apps prior to flying. So far the Air 2 has worked great but I fly in the morning before the heat builds up.

Interesting that while using Shou on the Air 2 I get a black screen recording with it on (and yes assistive touch is on) but with hardware acceleration turned off I get the flight screen recorded. I have tried this several times and it has been the same, I wonder if another app is in conflict, although I don't have much on the Air and make sure to unload all active apps prior to flying. So far the Air 2 has worked great but I fly in the morning before the heat builds up.

Probably because shou is using software decode since it DOESN'T have full access to the GPU.

Last edited:
Probably because shou is using software decode since it does have full access to the GPU.
Now that you mention it you are likely correct, Shou is not designed to use hardware acceleration due to it being cross platform I suppose. This would result in the black screen when is on. Well, I don't use it every flight, more of a gee wiz thing for me as I feel the app provides enough information. Shou is nice when you are projecting the flight for a group of people on the big screen, they can follow along without asking a bunch of questions that the screen overlay provides.

I just re-read your post, are you saying Shou DOES have full access to the GPU? if so why does it not record with the GPU turned on?, and will record with it turned off?

Sorry typo should been doesn't have full access to the GPU

I've just bought an iPad Air 2 myself, and am upgrading from an iPhone 5S... This iPad is amazing, I cannot wait to fly!!
How was the FPV experience with the 5S? Could you get a smooth video feed or was it jerky? Thanks :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31