I did it.. Pikes Peak

Reaction score
I did it.. I was able to fly my Phantom 3 Pro on top of Pikes Peak in Colorado.. elevation 14,111 ft
I was super nervous about it.. 25-30 mph winds... 40 deg temps...
I didn't venture out very far.. 150ft up or so.. max 400ft out..
Just flew around for a bit making sure I could still handle her in the massive wind up there..

For those that wonder.. Pikes Peak is a Nation Forest.. Not a National Park.. As of June 19, 2015 there are no restrictions for flying in National Forests..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's a "forest" LOL. Might need to ban logging up there for a little while till it grows back ;)

Reactions: DEaston
You should avoid to have propellers on the video, imo ruins the quality of the shots...

Easier said than done. You'd generally need to extend your gimbal, and set it well forward, and even then you'd likely get the props in the shot whenever moving forward, or when fighting a head wind. At least it's easier said than done if you wish to avoid having to downscale your video size or quality. Doing that can sometimes get rid of most of it, but at a cost.

That's a "forest" LOL. Might need to ban logging up there for a little while till it grows back ;)
Hi Ezzookiel I'm actually from Canberra also funny enough. But I travel to Colorado Springs 4 times ever year, it isnt logging but the altitude "tree line" that stops trees growing above a certain height on Pikes Peak.

digitalmo, I'm over there in 3 weeks did you get your P3 from "multicopterwarehouse.com"

Hi Ezzookiel I'm actually from Canberra also funny enough. But I travel to Colorado Springs 4 times ever year, it isnt logging but the altitude "tree line" that stops trees growing above a certain height on Pikes Peak.

digitalmo, I'm over there in 3 weeks did you get your P3 from "multicopterwarehouse.com"

Next time you're back in Canberra, get in touch, we can go fly together.
I realised the reason there are no trees there, hence the wink after my comment. It was a dumb attempt at humour.

Really impressive. Not even a Robinson R-22 Beta Helicopter could do a hover at this altitude.
The Phantom performance is awesome.
Nice video!!. Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
Reactions: Stan_in_KS
Easier said than done. You'd generally need to extend your gimbal, and set it well forward, and even then you'd likely get the props in the shot whenever moving forward, or when fighting a head wind. At least it's easier said than done if you wish to avoid having to downscale your video size or quality. Doing that can sometimes get rid of most of it, but at a cost.
There are many many easy way to don't have props in video...

While a few others have already said it, I am super impressed with performance of the P3 at this altitude in this wind! Really, you have such a stable video in such extreme conditions. Kudos to the DJI team, especially the engineers, designers and software team. Amazing technology at a fair price! Thanks for posting this video. As a pilot I know the impact of this altitude on flight and prop performance. I'll bet those motors were really spinning fast to fly at this altitude in such thin air.

Reactions: Jbundy63
I would say it is Inspiring except I know it's a Phantom 3 not an Inspire. [emoji37]. Bad joke but FABULOUS video. Thanks for sharing this. Great job!

Reactions: Ari
That looks great, actually, outstanding!
Could you go back, fly further out over the edge and pint the camera straight down...

Beautiful -Thanks for sharing. The props in a couple of shots didn't bother me but if you placed a 1.85 aspect matte or if filmed in 4k you could digitally zoom those scenes. Even in 1080p you could probably zoom in a little and not notice the quality difference. The exposure was really nice, with a beautiful sky, really enjoyed it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers