I did it.. Pikes Peak

Could you tell us more about how it handeled at 14,000 ft? I am going to be going to some volcanoes at that altitude soon.

That's a "forest" LOL. Might need to ban logging up there for a little while till it grows back ;)
There are no trees because it's 14000 feet up. Lol. Not from logging. Natural tree line sir

You should avoid to have propellers on the video, imo ruins the quality of the shots...
You have obviously never flown in high winds.

Except for the wind she handled almost normal .. Takeoff seemed normal. Props maybe been spinning faster to get her off the ground couldn't really tell. If you notice in the beginning of there video a guy across the road is startled a bit when I take off.
I was just worried about getting out too far and not being able to get back with that wind.

Really nice! Thanks for sharing

Well, you not only beat to a post but you also blew away the my altitude! :)

Today I drove up a canyon and flew the P3 at 8800'. It was flowing about 10-15mph and the P3 flew without any issues. I wanted to see about 2 things.... that the P3 would fly at this altitude (it appears we now know it can fly _much_ higher) and how much this affected the flight time.

I launched at 8750' and flew up 300', putting my at a flight altitude of about 8800. I flew as I normally do but the winds were just a bit stronger (I usually fly in 0-7mph winds). I flew from 100% down to 30% and was already back to the launch point at 30% battery. I normally start to fly back at 30% from about 1000' away. Flight time was 13m38s. Usually I get about 16m. So at 8800' my flight time was reduced by about 2 minutes or around 13% (I'm hoping my math is correct). To me, this is a _very_ low penalty for flying at altitude.

A few months ago was talking to a friend who owns the Yuneec Q500 and he mentioned that the props would not turn on about 8000'. I'm still not convinced of this but in looking around the web, this may be correct. That is just crazy. I can understand where they are coming from with that limitation but this means many people can't even use the Q500 in mountains. Obviously the Q500 would fly just fine at 8000' and above and truth is... is flying at 8000' any more dangerous then flying at 5000'?

So I was very impressed by the P3's ability to fly at altitude.

DJI Pilot_20150621_092827.jpg

Reactions: Jeff48920
So, In theory.... when you fly over the edge of Pikes Peak are you exceeding the FAA 400' altitude (LOL).
Nicely done... it's a cool place.

I did it.. I was able to fly my Phantom 3 Pro on top of Pikes Peak in Colorado.. elevation 14,111 ft
I was super nervous about it.. 25-30 mph winds... 40 deg temps...
I didn't venture out very far.. 150ft up or so.. max 400ft out..
Just flew around for a bit making sure I could still handle her in the massive wind up there..

For those that wonder.. Pikes Peak is a Nation Forest.. Not a National Park.. As of June 19, 2015 there are no restrictions for flying in National Forests..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I was going to race Supermoto on Pikes Peak a few years back, just before they paved the top 1/4 of the track.. :D
459834_10151716612910338_328057975_o.jpg

Please don't say stupid things. If you don't know this don't mean that there are no way to avoid propellers in video.

Lmao ok buddy. Mr almighty

Please don't say stupid things. If you don't know this don't mean that there are no way to avoid propellers in video.

I'm still trying to figure out if this is in English or not , learn to type a proper sentence before you call someone stupid

Simmer down everyone... I'm so jealous of everyone's videos/pics on here. I finally get my P3P on Tuesday and it'll be my first quad so it'll be a while before I get the balls to do this but I can't wait. Needless to say the rotors will be in my shots even with calm winds ;)

I was stationed at Fort Carson, CO for three years. I LOVED Pike's Peak! I used to drive up there to do my work outs and runs. For being a Mountain, there are a ton of things one can do year round. I miss that place, but not enough to move away from the beach!

Your video is outstanding. I don't know if my P2V+ V3 could lift off at that altitude, but if I were there, I'd sure try it. Do you know if you can fly around Garden of the Gods? Near sunset, that would make for another awesome video. Seven Falls would be yet another location that would return some awesome footage if you can fly there. I'd be willing to hump my drone up all those stairs and fly right off the little creek that makes the falls while pointing the camera straight down for the shot. Maybe you could trade your flight time and video footage to them in exchange for permission to fly either before or after they open. I'd love to take off from the top, follow the falls down and then end with a shot of the fish pond at the bottom.

I would also drive over to the Continental Divide. Monarch Ski Resort would be another awesome place to get great video if they're open to hikers in the off season. I can't recall the name of the trail, but there was one lift that took us up to the top of the ridge line that overlooked part of the divide. Man that would be so beautiful to video.

Can you tell I miss the outdoor activities in the area? ;)

That is IF you could get some flight time in any of those areas! I'll keep an eye out for any more videos you may post.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic