I Day Of Due Diligence

Reaction score
Dear Recreational Members,
I spoke to the FAA today.
I also downloaded the FAA recreational drone regulations see below.
Points of interest: You can fly at night in G airspace. Some of the AMA rules already supersede the FAA rules listed below. When the the FAA gets it together later this year the rules will be leaning in the direction of the AMA Safety Rules.
Don't be fooled this is not a good thing. Right now you are ban from flying in your neighborhood. Print out the AMA safety rules, it seems that's the law of the land.

1. Register your drone, mark it on the outside with the registration number (PDF), and carry proof of registration with you.
  2. Fly only for recreational purposes.
  3. Follow the safety guidelines of a community based organization. (STANDS FOR AMA)
  4. Fly your drone at or below 400 feet when in uncontrolled or "Class G" airspace. This is airspace where the FAA is not controlling manned air traffic. To determine what type of airspace you are in, refer to the mobile application that operates your drone (if so equipped) and/or use other drone-related mobile applications. Knowing your location and what airspace you're in will also help you avoid interfering with other aircraft.
  5. Do NOT fly in controlled airspace (around and above many airports) unless:
    You are flying at a recreational flyer fixed site that has an agreement with the FAA. The FAA has posted a list of approved sites (MS Excel) and has depicted them as blue dots on a map. Each fixed site is limited to the altitude shown on this map, which varies by location.

NOTE: Flight in controlled airspace is temporarily limited to these fixed fields. The FAA is upgrading the online system, known as LAANC (the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability), so that recreational operations can get automated airspace authorizations to fly in controlled airspace. This system is currently only available for certified Part 107 drone pilots.

NOTE: If your organization is interested in establishing a letter of agreement for a fixed flying site, please contact us at [email protected].
  6. Keep your drone within your line of sight, or within the visual line-of-sight of a visual observer who is co-located and in direct communication with you.
  7. Do NOT fly in airspace where flight is prohibited. Airspace restrictions can be found on our interactive map, and temporary flight restrictions can be found here. Drone operators are responsible for ensuring they comply with all airspace restrictions.
  8. Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports.
  9. Never fly over groups of people, (AMA Changed that to a Person) public events, or stadiums full of people. (See AMA Rule)
  10. Never fly near emergencies such as any type of accident response, law enforcement activities, firefighting, or hurricane recovery efforts.
  11. Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Best Regards,
Drone Ace
AKA: Bird Man

Last edited:
What is "Do Diligence" please ?

I understand the term "Due Diligence" .... something that I have paid for when taking over Company's.

I don't see on the list anywhere it saying I can't fly in my neighborhood. That's where I fly mostly, and get comments but no complaints from neighbors. Some rules are helpful, some just dumb. Fly safe

Some of the AMA rules already supersede the FAA rules listed below
The AMA's rules most certainly do not supersede the FAA's rules. Was that a typo too?

I don't see on the list anywhere it saying I can't fly in my neighborhood
Right -- the FAA has no such rule. They only require that you follow these rules:

I'm going to disagree with some of what you've written.

You say, "Right now you are ban from flying in your neighborhood." That is not true. Nothing in the current rules forbid you from flying your drones in your neighborhood. If you live in controlled airspace, then yes, you're forbidden unless you're 107 or at an approved site. But there is no blanket ban.

You also mentioned you can fly over people. But it looks like you edited that out. Good, because right now you can't.

And you say, "Don't be fooled this is not a good thing." This is also not true. This is a very good thing. It will help keep the skies safer and allow people to continue to fly. Safe skies should be EVERYONE'S goal.

Watch the new rules, they'll be out soon enough. The test is what will take the longest. But that will be out soon too.

And right now both AMA and DUGN are in the process of becoming "FAA Recognized" CBOs. At this point in time there are no safety rules in affect for hobbyists, but it is a good idea to continue to follow AMA safety guidelines.

Dear Recreational Members,
I spoke to Johnathon today one of the FAA support advisers.
I also downloaded the FAA recreational drone regulations see below.
Points of interest: You can fly at night in G airspace. Some of the AMA rules already supersede the FAA rules listed below. When the the FAA gets it together later this year the rules will be leaning in the direction of the AMA Safety Rules.
Don't be fooled this is not a good thing. Right now you are ban from flying in your neighborhood. Print out the AMA safety rules, it seems that's the law of the land.

1. Register your drone, mark it on the outside with the registration number (PDF), and carry proof of registration with you.
  2. Fly only for recreational purposes.
  3. Follow the safety guidelines of a community based organization. (STANDS FOR AMA)
  4. Fly your drone at or below 400 feet when in uncontrolled or "Class G" airspace. This is airspace where the FAA is not controlling manned air traffic. To determine what type of airspace you are in, refer to the mobile application that operates your drone (if so equipped) and/or use other drone-related mobile applications. Knowing your location and what airspace you're in will also help you avoid interfering with other aircraft.
  5. Do NOT fly in controlled airspace (around and above many airports) unless:
    You are flying at a recreational flyer fixed site that has an agreement with the FAA. The FAA has posted a list of approved sites (MS Excel) and has depicted them as blue dots on a map. Each fixed site is limited to the altitude shown on this map, which varies by location.

NOTE: Flight in controlled airspace is temporarily limited to these fixed fields. The FAA is upgrading the online system, known as LAANC (the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability), so that recreational operations can get automated airspace authorizations to fly in controlled airspace. This system is currently only available for certified Part 107 drone pilots.

NOTE: If your organization is interested in establishing a letter of agreement for a fixed flying site, please contact us at [email protected].
  6. Keep your drone within your line of sight, or within the visual line-of-sight of a visual observer who is co-located and in direct communication with you.
  7. Do NOT fly in airspace where flight is prohibited. Airspace restrictions can be found on our interactive map, and temporary flight restrictions can be found here. Drone operators are responsible for ensuring they comply with all airspace restrictions.
  8. Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports.
  9. Never fly over groups of people, (AMA Changed that to Person) public events, or stadiums full of people. (See AMA Rule)
  10. Never fly near emergencies such as any type of accident response, law enforcement activities, firefighting, or hurricane recovery efforts.
  11. Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Best Regards,
Drone Ace
AKA: Bird Man

What is the purpose of re-posting the well established rules, then adding your arguably erroneous 'points of interest' interpretation?

Johnathon who?
What is an FAA Support Adviser?

Last edited:
Right now you are ban from flying in your neighborhood.
Sorry to disagree with your in-depth analysis, but I am not ban from flying in my neighborhood.

Carry on

• Haha
Reactions: Shoot4fun
I'm going to disagree with some of what you've written.

You say, "Right now you are ban from flying in your neighborhood." That is not true. Nothing in the current rules forbid you from flying your drones in your neighborhood. If you live in controlled airspace, then yes, you're forbidden unless you're 107 or at an approved site. But there is no blanket ban.

You also mentioned you can fly over people. But it looks like you edited that out. Good, because right now you can't.

And you say, "Don't be fooled this is not a good thing." This is also not true. This is a very good thing. It will help keep the skies safer and allow people to continue to fly. Safe skies should be EVERYONE'S goal.

Watch the new rules, they'll be out soon enough. The test is what will take the longest. But that will be out soon too.

And right now both AMA and DUGN are in the process of becoming "FAA Recognized" CBOs. At this point in time there are no safety rules in affect for hobbyists, but it is a good idea to continue to follow AMA safety guidelines.
"At this point in time there are no safety rules in affect for hobbyists" REALLY! Then I can't be fined for doing dumb things?

"At this point in time there are no safety rules in affect for hobbyists" REALLY! Then I can't be fined for doing dumb things?

Yeah you can. It's called "Careless or Reckless".

And I was referring to CBO safety rules. There are plenty of FAA rules at the moment.

I don't see on the list anywhere it saying I can't fly in my neighborhood. That's where I fly mostly, and get comments but no complaints from neighbors. Some rules are helpful, some just dumb. Fly safe
The AMA safety rules states you cannot fly over occupied structures.
3.Follow the safety guidelines of a community based organization. (STANDS FOR AMA)

3. FAA rule - Follow the safety guidelines of a community based organization. (STANDS FOR AMA)
The FAA is not currently enforcing that rule since there are no recognized community-based organizations. See more details here.

The FAA is not currently enforcing that rule since there are no recognized community-based organizations. See more details here.

I know I am not US based and can only comment on whats read and what comes across to us at LARPAS.

At Larpas we study various national rulings as we have to devise advisory's to EU groups / CAA.

Our understanding is that CBO (Community Based Organisations) are not only AMA but also recognised registered Clubs / Associations involved in the activity.

The FAA guideline saying the CBO led to a clause in EU docs that excused ALL model flyers from Commercial based flight rules as long as they are members of and follow Club or National Body guidelines. (This is a clause in the latest proposal documents).

Just commenting ...

What is the purpose of re-posting the well established rules, then adding your arguably erroneous 'points of interest' interpretation?

Johnathon who?
What is an FAA Support Adviser?
I am looking ahead when the FAA completes the new program rules later this year for hobbies.
Sorry to disagree with your in-depth analysis, but I am not ban from flying in my neighborhood.

Carry on
The AMA safety rules states you cannot fly over occupied structures.
3.Follow the safety guidelines of a community based organization. (STANDS FOR AMA)
I get the feeling some rules are up for interpretation.
I call the FSDO in my area at times, that is my source of information and they advised my about the AMA rule about flying over an occupied structures. They back this rule, they even told me that I would need my neighbors permission to fly over their house. This is coming for the FAA.
I am not arguing, I don't like this back and forth with the CBO and the FAA.

I call the FSDO in my area at times, that is my source of information and they advised my about the AMA rule about flying over an occupied structures.
You're right -- the AMA does have such a rule. However, the FAA does not require you to follow the AMA's rules. If you choose to do so anyhow (for whatever reason), then you should definitely abide and not fly over occupied structures.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31