I bought a used P3

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, so bear with me, please. Craigslist finally bit me. I purchased a damaged P3P from a gentleman who claimed to having a bird strike while flying at night. The drone was in excellent shape, despite the fact that the entire camera and gimbal were missing. Thinking that I had purchase a Pro, I located a used 4K camera in perfect shape.

After I installed the camera, nothing would power up. Except for the beeper. I sent the unit to a DJI service center and it has been reported that I not only own a standard 4K, but I bought the wrong camera. That is why nothing will initialize. At this point I am feeling pretty stupid.

So, I can either try to locate the correct camera and sell the one I have or, and I have given this much thought, buy a motherboard for a 3P and convert my standard to a Pro. Any thoughts or better ideas?

Ph3 Pro and Ph3 Std are more different than you think.
Take a look at board photos on dji-firmware-tools wiki before deciding what to do.

I don't know the pinout in Std ribbon cable, hopefully you didn't just fried the camera with 12V on a 3.3V communication line.

Thanks, quaddamage. That would certainly make this one of the more expensive P3 Standards in history. I'll have to take a look at the P3P board and see where the differences lie. I did find a drone with no controller or camera on Ebay. Now the question is.......how different are the controllers and will mine link to the Pro drone?

P3std and p3pro using two different remotes and can not be subbed.
Also P3std is not 4K. It’s 2.7K.
If you need like new P3std with tons of extra and 11 month of dji care drop me a message.

According to the service center where my P3 currently sits, there was an upgraded version of the standard that was released about the same time as the advanced. It had the 4K camera with none of the other improvements available on the advanced or pro models. I hope my sources were correct. Thanks

According to the service center where my P3 currently sits, there was an upgraded version of the standard that was released about the same time as the advanced. It had the 4K camera with none of the other improvements available on the advanced or pro models. I hope my sources were correct. Thanks
They weren't.

It’s probably Phantom 3 4K model. Most likely. Same as standard but with 4K camera. Remote control also upgraded but with no light bridge connection

Last edited:
Thanks, ABTOCMEPTb, that is the information I was given. So, based on that, do any of you think I am chasing my tail by looking at upgrading my drone to match the camera. Just trying to spend my money wisely. Any other ideas are welcome.

I’ve recently (last week) went through a process of researching which drone to get to upgrade from phantom 3 standard.
I ended up getting phantom 4 advanced.
Value for money spent was the best. Basically gained 5-6 extra minute of flying time with 1” sensor, 20 megapixels stills and better 4K processing and recording.
Don’t care for extra sensors of p4pro2. So advanced came as my top choice.

Added:
By the way besides performance improvement it’s very convenient to connect your mobile device to controller via cable.
For example I got iPad Pro and iPhone 7+ as my dedicated drone devices. They got no cell service. So when connecting to P3std or p3/4k
I’ve been loosing convenience of a onscreen map.
Now with p4/spark/air I connect To controller via cable and to wifi through hotspot.

Last edited:
So, I finally got my P3 back from the repair shop. As I had previously stated, I was under the impression that this machine was a P3P. However, the shop came back and reported that it was a P3 4K. The camera I purchased was for a P3P and would not work. Guess what.......after several hours of shop time, the techs discovered that it is indeed a P3P, the camera I bought was the right one, and I ended up buying another 4K camera which was destined to never work.

Long story short; the shop found a bad motherboard and GPS module. They took my 4K camera in trade and basically just charged me for the diagnostics and freight. I still have way too much invested in this machine but she sure flies nice.

Thanks to everyone for the help with this. I look forward to using this forum again. Blue skies, everyone.

Reactions: LarBear360
A tech needed several hours to work out the AC was. P3p and not a standard? The bump on the bottom housing the OFDM and VPS module wasn’t a clue? Leaving the 4K camera as payment in kind was too much- they sound like they might be donkeys...

I won't dispute the "donkeys" comment. However, DJI recommended them and, ultimately, I got my P3P back and in fine condition. I am enjoying the machine and appreciate all of the help from the forum members. Thanks, everyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.