Humorous differences in world languages.

Reaction score
Not in any sense am I trying to make fun of anyone. There are differences in languages that are funny and some embarrassing. Even from one side of the country to the other there are differences. “African wildlife”had some hilarious examples.

My disabled daughter had a worker take my daughter out for lunch. What they got back, I asked what they ate? The worker said,” we had a grinder and a frappe.” The worker was from Massachusetts. I never heard of such a thing. She told me it was a sub sandwich and a milkshake.

Rick Steves was telling about staying at a bed and breakfast in England. He couldn’t believe his ears when the lady that owned the bed and breakfast said,” I’ll knock you up at 8 and and have you laid out by 8:30.” (I hope I quoted it right from memory) she was saying, she would get him up a 8 and have breakfast for him at 8:30.

In the isolated areas of the Appalachian Mountains, they speak more old English then anywhere on earth, I had read. My West Virginia grandmother told my wife, to fetch the poke from the press for her. My wife had no idea what my grandmother was talking about. She wanted my wife to get the bag out of the wardrobe.

Sometimes we just use words a little differently. I told my welder to fetch me the level. A man from Philadelphia laughed and said is he your dog. My Kentucky welder had no problem with what I said. That’s the way we talk.

Oh yea, when you are in Italy, make sure you order, Penne pasta and not pene. It’s a male appendage.

Last edited:
Its always good to see some humor around here from time to time.....Thanks W.V Rootman !
as i ride my motorcycle around the USA and Canada...i've also come across some diffs in language that sure made me raise my eye
brows LOL

I always get a chuckle of how the brits call the hood and trunk of their car, the bonnet and the boot. I asked a friend in the UK if you left your boot open by accident does the message on the dash say boot open? And yes it does so even the cars computer speaks the queens English lol!

I always get a chuckle of how the brits call the hood and trunk of their car, the bonnet and the boot. I asked a friend in the UK if you left your boot open by accident does the message on the dash say boot open? And yes it does so even the cars computer speaks the queens English lol!

Pack it in, we don't have "sidewalks" either, or "road circles". Now, answer me this question :-
Football.jpg

Lmao that's soccer here altho football makes more sense since most of the time the ball is in contact with the foot unlike our foot ball where its in contact with the hand! And traffic circles here not roundabouts lol

Not just the Poms either, in Aus we have a bonnet and a boot, glove box and parcel shelf also.

Not just the Poms either, in Aus we have a bonnet and a boot, glove box and parcel shelf also.
I have a couple mates in Aus that raise pet chickens. Looks like you do as well!

Fresh eggs are a bonus. Chooks are good to have around. It’s like a zoo at my joint, have heaps of animals and also provide for the local wildlife.
They say the same thing!!! Chooks lol. They are in Melbourne but i know for a fact they dont own any Dji AC.

Pack it in, we don't have "sidewalks" either, or "road circles". Now, answer me this question :-
View attachment 104315
It's referred to as soccer because that's a contraction of Association Football. Football on its own could mean Rugby Football or Australian Rules Football or American Football. They avoid confusion by calling them rugby, aussie rules, and gridiron (or football because they think that's the only version :eek:))

In Australasia don't mix up 'growler' and 'snarler'. One is a sausage, the other is.. sausage - related, let's say.

Not in any sense am I trying to make fun of anyone. There are differences in languages that are funny and some embarrassing. Even from one side of the country to the other there are differences. “African wildlife”had some hilarious examples.

My disabled daughter had a worker take my daughter out for lunch. What they got back, I asked what they ate? The worker said,” we had a grinder and a frappe.” The worker was from Massachusetts. I never heard of such a thing. She told me it was a sub sandwich and a milkshake.

Rick Steves was telling about staying at a bed and breakfast in England. He couldn’t believe his ears when the lady that owned the bed and breakfast said,” I’ll knock you up at 8 and and have you laid out by 8:30.” (I hope I quoted it right from memory) she was saying, she would get him up a 8 and have breakfast for him at 8:30.

In the isolated areas of the Appalachian Mountains, they speak more old English then anywhere on earth, I had read. My West Virginia grandmother told my wife, to fetch the poke from the press for her. My wife had no idea what my grandmother was talking about. She wanted my wife to get the bag out of the wardrobe.

Sometimes we just use words a little differently. I told my welder to fetch me the level. A man from Philadelphia laughed and said is he your dog. My Kentucky welder had no problem with what I said. That’s the way we talk.

Oh yea, when you are in Italy, make sure you order, Penne pasta and not pene. It’s a male appendage.
Yeah, not sure if I'm spelling it right, but my wife traveled in Guatemala, and when trying to tell people she was a tourist, she apparently told them she had diarrhea. Tourista and touristo mean very different things, apparently.

Also, after being there for weeks, she eventually did wind up with diarrhea... :)

Reactions: WV. Rootman
My Spanish professor was a Puerto Rican lady and she told of a dialect difference that led to a fun misunderstanding in her home country.

A Mexican lady got on a public bus where my professor was riding. She said “Hay muchos bichos aqui” as she swatted the air. This means “there are a lot of bugs here”. Bichos in her country means “bugs”. Well, in PR bichos means male genetalia, and all the local women began to joke and say “where are they? we’d love to go there!”, much to the Mexican woman’s chagrin.

My dad told me a story from back in the 50’s when he was in the military in Germany. He was riding a train with a friend who didn’t speak German as well as my father. His friend went to ask where the food car was, because he wanted to eat something. “Wo ist der Speisewagen?” instead he asked for the “Scheis*e wagen.” (Trying to keep it clean.) I’ll just say the restroom because he wanted to eat something.

One letter can do it. LOL

My dad told me a story from back in the 50’s when he was in the military in Germany. He was riding a train with a friend who didn’t speak German as well as my father. His friend went to ask where the food car was, because he wanted to eat something. “Wo ist der Speisewagen?” instead he asked for the “Scheis*e wagen.” (Trying to keep it clean.) I’ll just say the restroom because he wanted to eat something.

One letter can do it. LOL
Again I thought of a time when I was 16 and toured France with my high school band. We stayed in the school dorms and ate at the schools cafeteria. We had a platter of fish at our table that emptied quickly. I asked a French student on how to ask for more. I went to the kitchen and instead of asking for poisson (fish) I asked for more poison to eat. Poison is spelled the same in French and English. With the French accent, it kind of sounded the same.

Next question.

Why does the USA have a baseball "World Series" when it's the only country that plays the game.
View attachment 104319

BTW, in the UK we have a similar game called "Rounders" and it's played in most girl schools.;)
Well, in that case, what about "Miss Universe?" How many extra terrestrials have competed in that one?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4