Huge quality difference between Advanced and Professional even when scaled down ?

Tom,

The P3P won't combine them, but it takes 3 (or 5 depending on your settings) in rapid succession. This happens much faster than you could shoot, adjust exposure, shoot, adjust exposure...

Its on you to combine them afterwards. There's a ton of programs that do "HDR" Note that what these programs really do is known as tone mapping. It's usually done to a cartoon effect, but it doesn't need to. You can use the darkest exposure to pull details out of the shadows and the lightest exposure to retain details in the highlights. It adds a significant amount of work to the post-processing but you can end up with an image that has a much broader (and more appealing) dynamic range than the camera is capable of itself.

As for the movement in the water, I'd just take the exposure that you like the best and use that images water. This workflow usually ends up being stacked images in Photoshop.

4k video should look like 8mp, but it will be worse because of compression, but not much worse, maybe 6mp equiv, so u get half of what a 12mp looks like...
Check out my post here about bitrate for different video settings. You can't compare jpg resolution to video resolution without considering bitrate.
The 12MP DNG file converted to JPG high quality will be 15+MB image. A single screen grab from 4K30 video at 60mbps bitrate will only have about 250kb of data. Give or take the codec compression for that frame.
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/video-resolution-formats-and-bitrate-data-rate.42039/

A 4k extracted still is good (I think it's better than any GoPro jpg because it lacks the distortion and has much less edge softness). A DNG still from the P3 is very good.

It's impossible to shoot in direct (overhead) sunlight without blowing the highlights unless you stop down a bit. The P3's camera just doesn't have that much dynamic range. However, the Pilot app does allow for automatic exposure bracketing which helps if you're shooting something stationary like waterfront homes. Your life is easier if you time your shots to not have any moving traffic or pedestrians or the like in the bracketed photos (it's just makes merging them easier).

I'm *really* looking forward to having some Neutral Density filters for the P3. They'll help with video, sure, but they'll also allow higher shutter speeds without blowing highlights.
I did some analysis on the AEB for 3 shot and 5 shot. Check my post here:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/sample-dng-images-including-multishot-aeb.41125

OK, I see. on my IPhone that has hdr it combines them into one pic and it generally looks much better than non hdr.

Yes, your iPhone combines 2 shots to get better details in the highlights while preserving details in the shadows. It's the came principal, but ostensibly, you wan't better quality from your P3.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31